• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Start a thread about it - not that there's anything anyone on here can do about it

Agreed. Sometimes it feels good to vent one's rage. The decades-long quest to brand SGS in a narrow, ATAR driven way has destroyed it as a genuine GPS school, including its participation in sports and extra-curricular activities. They'll be competitive in the seconds division competition with High.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
but the GPS isn't just about rugby, it has been around for over 100 years and wasn't made to feature the 8 elite rugby schools. The GPS will never expand, nor should it. The more realistic option is for more trial games against strong opposition like HSHS, St Augstines and a few CAS schools. Even so 4 or 5 of the top 10 schoolboy sides each year come from the GPS competition and thats a fact.

Would you mind elaborating on which facts prove your statement considering that those 4/5 teams play in a competition restricted to 7 paticipants. Or should we rugby peasants retreat back to our pebble strewn playing fields content with merely having boots and jerseys to play in.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Agreed. Sometimes it feels good to vent one's rage. The decades-long quest to brand SGS in a narrow, ATAR driven way has destroyed it as a genuine GPS school, including its participation in sports and extra-curricular activities. They'll be competitive in the seconds division competition with High.
They've won 2 heads of the river since riverview or joeys last won: view and joeys should be chucked out of the gps for being crap at rowing and having virtual waterfront facilities

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Would you mind elaborating on which facts prove your statement considering that those 4/5 teams play in a competition restricted to 7 paticipants. Or should we rugby peasants retreat back to our pebble strewn playing fields content with merely having boots and jerseys to play in.
Trinity dominated the CAS competition last year winning a majority of there games by 25 points or more (fact). When they played Riverview however they were beaten quite easily (fact). From that, between GPS and CAS you would say that Riverview, Scots, Newington and Trinity would be the top 4 teams. Adding HSHS and St Augstines as the Waratah Shield finalists (fact) you now have 6 schools. The next four schools in my opinion were Kings, Joeys (who beat 3rd place Knox-fact), Waverley and whoever finished 3rd in Waratah Shield. Did i elaborating well enough for you ?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Trinity dominated the CAS competition last year winning a majority of there games by 25 points or more (fact). When they played Riverview however they were beaten quite easily (fact). From that, between GPS and CAS you would say that Riverview, Scots, Newington and Trinity would be the top 4 teams. Adding HSHS and St Augstines as the Waratah Shield finalists (fact) you now have 6 schools. The next four schools in my opinion were Kings, Joeys (who beat 3rd place Knox-fact), Waverley and whoever finished 3rd in Waratah Shield. Did i elaborating well enough for you ?

Swings a roundabouts, last year it was View, the year before it was Kings and New (I think). This year it might be Joey's. There is no way to have a comp amongst the top schools because the schools and teams at the top change every year.

Trials is really the only way to see these schools play eachother...

Now can we get back to the GPS season ahead of us?

F

Finland Fella

My research suggests they are.
Kids who have been paid to play either code should not be eligible to play schoolboy rugby union.
Why ????? They're only paid to keep em in that particular game - either league or union/ or at that particular club - it's all just an investment in the future of whichever code.
Why make these elite athletes more elite than they need to be by banning them from playing with their schoolmates.
Disagree wholeheartedly IS.

kerser2

Bob McCowan (2)
They've won 2 heads of the river since riverview or joeys last won: view and joeys should be chucked out of the gps for being crap at rowing and having virtual waterfront facilities
check the results of joeys in the 2012 head of the river, clearly competitive to other GPS schools. Joeys are competitive in every sport of the GPS

no9

Ted Fahey (11)

So you base most of your argument around the result of one game. Bit of a quantum leap isn't it? I'd like to see that logic defended in something more than a fantasy forum like this. Still if we are to use your damaged logic we can draw the conclusion that as CHS and GPS finished in a draw last year in the NSW trials that the unwashed CHS players must be the equal of the gallant GPS warriors. Perhaps thats why a couple of your association colleagues are filling their teams with imports from the CHS heartland. That will teach the buggers to be competetive.

It hurts me to say it but if any side deserves the title of best on show in the past 2 or 3 seasons it would be Augustines who have won their association and the Waratah shield frequently. The argument of who is best is implausible due to none of the different association teams competing against each other in a structured competition with home and away fixtures. At best it is individual ramblings only and thats acceptable. However, it's when comments carry a 'we are superior/elite to you' connatation and can't be sensibly supported that the rest of us remember that you can pay a lot of money but you can't guarantee a successful education from it.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
check the results of joeys in the 2012 head of the river, clearly competitive to other GPS schools. Joeys are competitive in every sport of the GPS

I think that was said tongue in cheek kerser, IS knows that View and Joeys are really the best schools in GPS for sport :)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So you base most of your argument around the result of one game. Bit of a quantum leap isn't it? I'd like to see that logic defended in something more than a fantasy forum like this. Still if we are to use your damaged logic we can draw the conclusion that as CHS and GPS finished in a draw last year in the NSW trials that the unwashed CHS players must be the equal of the gallant GPS warriors. Perhaps thats why a couple of your association colleagues are filling their teams with imports from the CHS heartland. That will teach the buggers to be competetive.

It hurts me to say it but if any side deserves the title of best on show in the past 2 or 3 seasons it would be Augustines who have won their association and the Waratah shield frequently. The argument of who is best is implausible due to none of the different association teams competing against each other in a structured competition with home and away fixtures. At best it is individual ramblings only and thats acceptable. However, it's when comments carry a 'we are superior/elite to you' connatation and can't be sensibly supported that the rest of us remember that you can pay a lot of money but you can't guarantee a successful education from it.

What a load of shite. I don't know where you got this 'superiority' in Random's post, but I can assure you I saw none of it.

All he did was make the statement that the GPS provide 4 or 5 of the top 10 Schoolboy sides each year. A debateable claim sure but also a legitimate one. It was delivered with no attitude of superiority.

Yet you seem to have detected a vibe, and I'd suggest that says more about you than it does about him.

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)
What schools have started rugby training and trials already? i know with GPS athletics moved to before rugby season this year it will affect some selections and training

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
What a load of shite. I don't know where you got this 'superiority' in Random's post, but I can assure you I saw none of it.

All he did was make the statement that the GPS provide 4 or 5 of the top 10 Schoolboy sides each year. A debateable claim sure but also a legitimate one. It was delivered with no attitude of superiority.

Yet you seem to have detected a vibe, and I'd suggest that says more about you than it does about him.

Stating without viable fact (other than his own opinion) such a sweeping statement was always going to draw a response. Am I wrong in thinking you are one of the controllers of these forums? Perhaps a quick glance at thread reply #373 would indicate where some of us get our vibe and I'd suggest it says more about others than myself. Perhaps a look in the mirror before you go on the attack. But enough of this shite.

As to the nonsense defense put forward, I'll apply the same logic and derive a different result. Last years trials saw Shore closely defeat St Stannislaus who were then comprehensively beatean by Oakhill. Oakhill fell to St Augustines. As Shore were competetive against Riverview I could then conclude that Augustines would beat Riverview. What shite!

The only facts are that Trinity, Augustines and Riverview were deserving premiers of each association. An argument could be put forward that in any given year and on any given day that a team from any of the different associations could defeat one another, but good luck doing so.

If Mr Random feels the need to list a top ten rugby schools list on an open forum then why not? Its his right, isn't this what this media is for. But in return please expect that not everyone will bow to his views and an explanation of the views expressed may be asked for to help define his point as valid or the ramblings of a biased fool. Factors such as many of the games being under trial conditions and the home field advantage need to be taken into account and it becomes less than viable to find a true ranking without each team playing in a structured home and away competition or finals series, and we all know that's never going to happen.

GPS rugby has a proud history that is respected by the other associations and should be reciprocated without the self righteous opinions as seen in #373 and other sweeping unsubstantiated statements. And yes I'm aware that this is a GPS dedicated site.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Two points:

1. I never said you had to agree with what he said, I merely disputed the manner in which you disagreed with him (namely by reading an elitist view that clearly wasn't there). Your logic in paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 are sound and it's certainly a valid viewpoint.

2. Since when do you take one person's (clearly tongue in cheek) opinion and apply it to EVERY poster? You can pick up all the vibes you want from the 4000-odd members we have at this forum, each has their own unique viewpoint. Just because one person says something it doesn't give you the right to have a go at a completely different poster, especially when there is ZERO evidence to suggest they believe the same as said inflammatory poster.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
What schools have started rugby training and trials already? i know with GPS athletics moved to before rugby season this year it will affect some selections and training

I heard yesterday from a reasonably good source that Joeys firsts and seconds trialing group have been doing a number of fitness and strength tests for a couple of weeks and that some light work was started this week. Also heard that New got underway this week. From what I understand post the Head of the River, the remaining Summer sports like cricket and basketball have their last round this weekend and athletics then kicks in for the remaining weeks of the first term with the GPS Athletics carnival on the first or second Saturday in term 2. So there's some time to get things going (particularly for the non-athletes) before the GPS trials start.

Given that their new GPS sports scheduling probably allows for it, l'd love to see a home and away GPS comp with 3-4 rounds in the latter part of term 2 (allowing plenty of time for trials) and the remaining 8-9 rounds in term 3 providing a 12 round home/away comp.

kerser2

Bob McCowan (2)
I heard yesterday from a reasonably good source that Joeys firsts and seconds trialing group have been doing a number of fitness and strength tests for a couple of weeks and that some light work was started this week. Also heard that New got underway this week. From what I understand post the Head of the River, the remaining Summer sports like cricket and basketball have their last round this weekend and athletics then kicks in for the remaining weeks of the first term with the GPS Athletics carnival on the first or second Saturday in term 2. So there's some time to get things going (particularly for the non-athletes) before the GPS trials start.

Given that their new GPS sports scheduling probably allows for it, l'd love to see a home and away GPS comp with 3-4 rounds in the latter part of term 2 (allowing plenty of time for trials) and the remaining 8-9 rounds in term 3 providing a 12 round home/away comp.
How reliable is your source?

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
but the GPS isn't just about rugby, it has been around for over 100 years and wasn't made to feature the 8 elite rugby schools. The GPS will never expand, nor should it. The more realistic option is for more trial games against strong opposition like HSHS, St Augstines and a few CAS schools. Even so 4 or 5 of the top 10 schoolboy sides each year come from the GPS competition and thats a fact.

Sorry, I must have missed the disclaimer about #373 being tounge in cheek, or did I? and then 5 replies later the above appears. Simple question - says fu&cking who? Back it up with a logical argument. Not some bullshit around the result of a trial game. Good luck trying.

Asked him to simply elaborate and receive a ludicrous explanation in a condescending reply. You may not think it shows any rugby superiority issues but its not the way I see it. He's big enough to put out an opinion, lets see him justify it intelligently on his own.[/quote]

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
My guess is most, if not all, schools have started doing fitness/skills training at the very least. This would work well with athletics training, and they'd have a fair idea of squads if not actual teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.