• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
This time last year Augs were set to play in Japan for the Sanix tournament, thus Joeys played Oakhill. So it's probably fairer to say that Oakhill have taken up that slot.

Oakhill haven't played Joeys' for the past 2 seasons. My understanding is Joeys requested to play Oakhill to get games accross all the age levels as much as the 1st XV game.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I think its great to see rugby schools developing outside the traditional channels. Oakhill, Auggies etc seem to have come along leaps and bounds in the past 5 years. Are Oakhill plying View this year?

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
What are the other games this weekend aside from joeys v oakhill?
Not 100% sure, if memory serves me right this weekend is Kings vs Stannies, Newington vs Kinross, Scots vs Auggies, High vs Pius and St Pats vs Grammar. Plus the already mentioned Joeys vs Oakhill. Not sure how much can be read into these games - GPS just finished athletics last weekend whereas the ISA boys been playing rugby for months.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not 100% sure, if memory serves me right this weekend is Kings vs Stannies, Newington vs Kinross, Scots vs Auggies, High vs Pius and St Pats vs Grammar. Plus the already mentioned Joeys vs Oakhill. Not sure how much can be read into these games - GPS just finished athletics last weekend whereas the ISA boys been playing rugby for months.

I think that you're right with those games...any team lists out?

Scots v Auggies looks the pick of those games followed by Kings v Stannies and Joeys v Oakhill.

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)

Whats happening with the ISA competition while these teams are playing GPS trials?

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
I think its great to see rugby schools developing outside the traditional channels. Oakhill, Auggies etc seem to have come along leaps and bounds in the past 5 years. Are Oakhill plying View this year?
No. Oakhill plays Shore next week before their ISA comp starts. I think Riverview plays St Pat's next week.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Whats happening with the ISA competition while these teams are playing GPS trials?
ISA Division 1 comp does not start for another 2 weeks. Next week ISA schools will play another round of trials against GPS schools. Since CAS started their double round comp therefore their season starts earlier, literally all the GPS trial games are now against ISA schools.

Schools Rugby Tribune

Frank Nicholson (4)
What are the other games this weekend aside from joeys v oakhill?
Hope this table pastes OK. If not, see same on our website...

AUSTRALIA
ACT Daramalan Wests Rd 2
ACT Grammar Royals Rd 2
ACT St Edmunds Marist Rd 2
ACT Uni-Norths Vikings Rd 2
AIC St Peter's Lutheran Iona College Rd 3
AIC Padua College Villanova Rd 3
AIC St Edmund's St Laurence's Rd 3
AIC St Patrick's Marist Ashgrove Rd 3
TAS St Paul's College West Moreton Rd 4
TAS Cannon Hill Ang. John Paul College Rd 4
TAS St Columban's Canterbury College Rd 4
TAS Ormiston College Bye Rd 4
TAS St John's College Rivermount Rd 4
TAS Faith Lutheran Sots PGC College Rd 4
TAS Redeemer Lutheran Springfield Angl. Rd 4
GPS St Joseph's College Oakhill College ISA
GPS Sydney Grammar St Patrick's ISA
GPS Sydney Boys High St Pius X ISA
GPS The Kings School St Stanislaus ISA
GPS The Scots College St Augustine's ISA
GPS Newington College Kinross Wolaroi ISA
GPS Armidale Farrer Memorial T
CAS St Aloysius Trinity Rd 2
CAS Cranbrook Barker Rd 2
CAS Knox Waverley Rd 2
GPS Scotts College St Augustine's ISA
GPS Sydney B High St Pius ISA
GPS St Jospeph's Oakhill ISA
ISA St Patrick's Sydney Grammar GPS
VSRU Xavier College St Kevin's College Div 1
VSRU Melbourne Grammar Scotch College Div 1
VSRU Trinity Grammar Geelong Grammar Div 1
VSRU Brighton Grammar Haileybury College Div 2
VSRU Melbourne HS St Patricks Div 2
VSRU Carey Grammar Marcellin College Div 2
VSRU Ivanhoe Grammar SFX Div 2
PSA Scotch College Guildford Grammar Rd 2
PSA Christ Church Trinity College Rd 2
PSA Wesley College Aquinas College Rd 2
PSA Hale School Bye Rd 2

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
SCT, I see that your website also carries the following interesting article:

SYDNEY, NSW (08/05/12) - There are nine member schools that form the uber-elite Athletic Association of Great Public Schools of NSW. The GPS is the strongest rugby competition in NSW and possibly all of Australia.

As with most of the Associations across Australia, a serious disparity exists between the top and bottom schools, in terms of rugby strength.

St Joseph's and The Kings School have dominated the GPS premiership, going back to 1892. The Scots College, St Ignatius College, Newington and the Church of England Grammar School (Shore) have won fewer premierships than their Old Boys would have liked, but imprortantly, they compete on an equal footing and all are capable of beating each other on any given day.

The problem lies with the three smaller GPS schools, i.e. The Armidale School, Sydney Boys High and Sydney Grammar School, who have all found it increasingly difficult to compete with the bigger GPS schools. There is absolutely no question of these three schools leaving the GPS competition, just because they have weaker rugby programs (remembering that rugby is just one component of the GPS Winter Sports program).

On the other hand, it is a reality that these schools are suffering embarassing and morale-destroying hidings against the other GPS 1st XVs on the rugby fields. No-one wants to see that, least of all the staff and parents of said schools. It has also resulted in some boys abandoning rugby as their chosen winter sport, which in itself simply perpetuates the problem.

A perfect solution is not imminent, but this is how the AAGPS have structured the rugby competition for 2012 in as far as the afore mentioned three schools go.

Sydney Grammar 1st XV will remain in the 1st XV Comp
Armidale 1st XV will play in the 2nd XV Comp
Sydney Boys 1st XV will play in the 3rd XV Comp
Sydney Grammar 2nd XV will play in the 4th XV Comp
The GPS has also made the 3rd XV competition official, i.e. they will now play for a trophy along with the 1st and 2nd XVs. This ensures that the 1st XVs of all three schools have a trophy to play for.

Sydney Boys already dropped to the 2nd XV competition in 2011 and to be truthful, continued to struggle. It seems much more likely that they will find their equilibrium in the 3rd XV competition.

Armidale should hold its own in the 2nd XV competition. For Sydney Grammar, the task is to prove it can remain viable in the 1st XV competition. They probably won't have the firepower, but you can bet that the boys are going to put their bodies on the line, week in, week out. I know that this writer will be willing them on to achieve what looks to be a highly unlikely objective.

SBHS.jpg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
SCT history suggests that you are wrong about SGS's viability in 1st XV being the test: the test is the will of the kids and of the school to play 1st XV.
I dont undertsand SGS to have fewer pupils than anyone else (other than SIC who apparently have 220 in a year) if that is what is meant by smaller.
It should be noted that, since history is mentioned, SGS has produced more Wallaby Captains than any other school in Australia...but then it has produced more High Court justices too.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm not sure how strong the link is between athletics and rugby, but I was surprised by the number of good athletes competing for SGS last weekend at GPS. There were some big strong lads who could seriously run. I hope the school puts more resources into rugby (and sport in general) - it would gut an awful people to see Grammar fall out of the comp, especially when they clearly have some kids who are very talented outside of the classroom.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm not sure how strong the link is between athletics and rugby, but I was surprised by the number of good athletes competing for SGS last weekend at GPS. There were some big strong lads who could seriously run. I hope the school puts more resources into rugby (and sport in general) - it would gut an awful people to see Grammar fall out of the comp, especially when they clearly have some kids who are very talented outside of the classroom.

At grammar the only place you'll see resources anywhere near rugby is in the dictionary

H

HarveyColon

heard through the grapevine that grammar's first choice 5/8 is a chinese kid who played soccer in the under 16's last year. this isn't shit talking....its a legitimate concept

M

Michelle

"At grammar the only place you'll see resources anywhere near rugby is in the dictionary"

yes IS that is true. It is also a rule that rugby balls aren't allowed to be kicked on the playground or they get confiscated. that might explain a bit too. It is also worth noting that the headmaster although he claims to care does nothing with its budget to allow for sport. they just blew 30 million dollars on a new hall that was supposed to hold enough people for a speech day but after being built...realised it wasn't big enough......i think a few boys would be happy to play for the school. and it wouldn't cost 30 million either. and yes the small asian 5/8 is true.....

J

Jazzman

well we will see how this grammar side goes this saturday against a strong st pats outfit , when will selectors for the gps sides be out and about ?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
they just blew 30 million dollars on a new hall that was supposed to hold enough people for a speech day but after being built...realised it wasn't big enough.....

You sound like we have something in common....
The exposed Sydney sandstone is marvellous to look at and they actually got more playground space as a result.
The bigger they are the harder they fall
Its not the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog
etc. etc.
THE PROBLEM is, however, that the good doctor seems to have this plan in which he encourages young (as in left school in 2011) old boys to come back to the school to assist in coaching sport....but they do a bit more than assist because the staff mostly have NFI - this is, of course, a self perpetuating path to failure and, in fact, almost guarantees that each year will be worse than the last: no new blood, no new ideas, no winning culture.
Effectively there is no effort to inculcate the boys with either the idea of the game or the skills necessary to compete. They could have hearts like lions and their skills and knowledge would mean they still get flogged.
However, they are required to trainas much as the other schools: this is a shocking return on investment - they just hang around learning nothing about the game. I canot comprehend what Vallance thinks this achieves - he has no desire to pander to the old boys so i dont see why he doesn't just say thats it we're not playing rugby: everything else is done on his whim.

Status
Not open for further replies.