• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
how do you leave three players out that made nsw side last year barclay, stewart and Foketi should all be included! In other news Jack watts broken arm doesnt seem to be healing, i have heard his season is now in doubt. a loss for joeys however he will be easily replaced by nick pennisi
I heard from good sources from within the hallowed halls that Watts is fine to go???
So e? What is the go?

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... ... Yes Stewart and Barclay made the NSW side last year, but why should they just get given the GPS jersey because of reputation, the GPS jersey should be earned, don't you agree? Based on form, Taane and Tepai are playing better this year and so far deserve the GPS 1's jersey over last years centre combo

I agree with you here GPS. As some in this site will already know I am a big fan of Taane Milne. This lad is presently at the Roosters and had an absolute blinder of an SG Ball season in early 2012. Furthermore he has carried this form into the school trials which means he should be on the minds of the selectors.

My only concern is this; will his perceived loyalty to league be an impediment to a favourable selection? I personally believe that discussions have already taken place between those in the ARU Development (i.e. Manu Sutherland and co.) and Milne's mangers at SFX. Consequently, I would dare say the ARU would have received assurances that Milne will remain with rugby.

There are two reason for my hypothesis. Firstly, Milne is rugby player who dabbled in league (and was successful in the latter code). I first came to see Milne as an under 13 when he represented Coogee I believe; he was a star in the making at that time!

Secondly, from all accounts the Roosters have not treated Milne kindly. As good as Taane is the Roosters currently have a stable of great centres, their latest being a young 18 year old lad called Tau Tau Moga (look this name up; it will blow your socks off). In other words there might not be any room for him. For mine Milne will be another 'Rob Horne conversion' and I expect the NSW teams to reflect the same!

J

Joshua B Cummings

how do you leave three players out that made nsw side last year barclay, stewart and Foketi should all be included! In other news Jack watts broken arm doesnt seem to be healing, i have heard his season is now in doubt. a loss for joeys however he will be easily replaced by nick pennisi

This is so very incorrect elcapitano, nick Pennisi has recently been dropped from the first xv and replaced by injured skipper tom murphy, jack watts on the hand has not returned to joeys from the long weekend..... Injury to the wrist I still believe holds him out.
Hardy is still looking strong in the 2nd row with his low body height and work ethic.... Potential for the 2nd row also may be Ollie Bartlett with his height and ball skills

M

Michelle

LMAO@LG

The last part of his name is now starting to cause me concern . . . lmao

Well it's about time someone noticed.....a lot of people think of Colon as a form of punctuation but it is actually a fleshy doughnut shaped tube located adjacent to the intestinal thoroughfare

E

elcapitano

This is so very incorrect elcapitano, nick Pennisi has recently been dropped from the first xv and replaced by injured skipper tom murphy, jack watts on the hand has not returned to joeys from the long weekend... Injury to the wrist I still believe holds him out.
Hardy is still looking strong in the 2nd row with his low body height and work ethic.. Potential for the 2nd row also may be Ollie Bartlett with his height and ball skills

My bad, i was told otherwise! and yes i believe that bartlett has the potential to be a solid first player, i believe he shows a lot more desire on the paddock than hardy.

E

elcapitano

also can someone tell me why no high boys are in contention for gps sides??

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree with you here GPS. As some in this site will already know I am a big fan of Taane Milne. This lad is presently at the Roosters and had an absolute blinder of an SG Ball season in early 2012. Furthermore he has carried this form into the school trials which means he should be on the minds of the selectors.

My only concern is this; will his perceived loyalty to league be an impediment to a favourable selection? I personally believe that discussions have already taken place between those in the ARU Development (i.e. Manu Sutherland and co.) and Milne's mangers at SFX. Consequently, I would dare say the ARU would have received assurances that Milne will remain with rugby.

There are two reason for my hypothesis. Firstly, Milne is rugby player who dabbled in league (and was successful in the latter code). I first came to see Milne as an under 13 when he represented Coogee I believe; he was a star in the making at that time!

Secondly, from all accounts the Roosters have not treated Milne kindly. As good as Taane is the Roosters currently have a stable of great centres, their latest being a young 18 year old lad called Tau Tau Moga (look this name up; it will blow your socks off). In other words there might not be any room for him. For mine Milne will be another 'Rob Horne conversion' and I expect the NSW teams to reflect the same!

Newbie you are probably the best credentialed to answer this. Obviously there is much debate about whether to reward "league" players with rep selection over "rugby" players.

Would most traditional league contracts at this level expire after SG ball. Then after 20s etc. If so all the boys who play league, Milne, Moeroa, Lussick etc will have to make a choice at the end of the schooling. By snubbing them from rep football because of a perceived choice seemingly not already made it would most probably make up their mind for them. Perhaps a taste of higher honors might be sufficient to enticing them to stay.

Bill McLean (32)
Newbie you are probably the best credentialed to answer this. Obviously there is much debate about whether to reward "league" players with rep selection over "rugby" players.

Would most traditional league contracts at this level expire after SG ball. Then after 20s etc. If so all the boys who play league, Milne, Moeroa, Lussick etc will have to make a choice at the end of the schooling. By snubbing them from rep football because of a perceived choice seemingly not already made it would most probably make up their mind for them. Perhaps a taste of higher honors might be sufficient to enticing them to stay.

Generally speaking yes!

Most lads who are contracted are done so when they are 14 and 15 years of age. Generally they are discovered at schoolboy rugby and league championships.

At the time of contracting they usually are palmed off to a Sport Manager who the club highly recommends (which IMO is where the first conflict of interest becomes a apparent). The parents are generally ecstatic that their young Johnny has been contracted to an NRL club and are blind to the reality that actually exists; that is they have signed young Johnny up for a three year ascending deal for pittance (e.g., Y1=$750 Y2=$1000 Y3=$1500).

Of course there are bonuses for making State rep teams and these usually amount to $1000-$3000 depending on the year. And to answer your question fully the contract will see a lad out to the final year of SG Ball (remembering that HMC is U/16 and SGB is for U/17 and 18).

If it all comes to fruition the NRL club will explore a further contract into Toyota Cup.

Now there are always exceptions to the rule, as I came across one example where the father told the NRL club that he didn't need their pitiful sum of money, and as it eventuated this lad had a blinder of an HMC season in that same year where he had no less that five NRL clubs were chasing him.

I hope this answers your question!

PS - your last sentence is quite true! I honestly believe Milne will be sold the dream in the same way Rob Horne was!

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
The parents are generally ecstatic that their young Johnny has been contracted to an NRL club and are blind to the reality that actually exists; that is they have signed young Johnny up for a three year ascending deal for pittance (e.g., Y1=$750 Y2=$1000 Y3=$1500
Now there are always exceptions to the rule, as I came across one example where the father told the NRL club that he didn't need their
pitiful sum of money, and as it eventuated this lad had a blinder of an
HMC season in that same year where he had no less that five NRL clubs were chasing him.

I hope this answers your question!

PS - your last sentence is quite true! I honestly believe Milne will be sold the dream in the same way Rob Horne was![/quote]
I watched the recent league CHSntrials in Toronto the other week and the call from the kids were "talk to my manager"

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
This is so very incorrect elcapitano, nick Pennisi has recently been dropped from the first xv and replaced by injured skipper tom murphy, jack watts on the hand has not returned to joeys from the long weekend... Injury to the wrist I still believe holds him out.
Hardy is still looking strong in the 2nd row with his low body height and work ethic.. Potential for the 2nd row also may be Ollie Bartlett with his
height and ball skills
What is the make up of the forwards then JBC? Or are you unaware and aiming to create issues again?

J

Joshua B Cummings

i wonder what the dressing shed was like after? the score sounds like a morning session in the cricket!

With the comeback of jack watts to the rugby paddock may leave combinations upset which he might struggle to crack the first xv 2nd row of Odonahue and hardy. As well he will have some troubles trying to break the combo of Bartlett and David ryan in the 2nds.... My assumptions are that he will fit comfortable in the 3rds

J

Joshua B Cummings

What is the make up of the forwards then JBC? Or are you unaware and aiming to create issues again?

Pack is yet undecided, i haven't spoken to ticehurst, Whalley nor tony Boyd but later on I'll find some team details

Status
Not open for further replies.