• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Like last year, View are going into this season under the radar even though they have 3 forwards in the Aus Schools team. They also play all the top teams at their home ground apart from Joey's this weekend.

If they can beat Joey's on Saturday, you would have to rank them as favourites for a consecutive premiership wins. However, I must emphasis the IF when talking about the Joey's team they meet this weekend.

Looking forward to it!

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
"I really think that both sets of spectators just shook their collective heads" should have been a reference to it being a 'trial' game only, there was no real "shaking of heads" evident except the match officials (see later). Shore continues to show large glimpses of promise and then seem to go off the boil. Last saturday the 2nd half another example with a few decisions against them such as the disallowed try in SE corner. James Scholtens (ref) asked Luke Rogan (AR1) if the player had scored and he returned an absolute blank face finally admitting he wasn't watching (when the play was 3m away). [L Rogan also has a poor 2nd XV performance along with poor State Champ performances].

Joeys forwards were often leaving their feet at the break down. Andrew Deegan (Yr11) was pretty quite given he is in his 2nd 1stXV season which makes me think Joeys are struggling a bit.

Shore forwards were often struggling with too few players committed (seems a common theme from all GPS teams with underage super players involved).

Pulver should add real thrust when he returns from his 'rest'. Will be interesting to watch the head to head this week of Pulver v Ferris given their respective GPS selections this year.

Roll on to the season proper...this week when 'no excuses' allowed.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
From my time at View, the then Firsts coach didn't hesitate suspending his star forward for one game for a punch off the ball, ironically that said player is a father of one of these current star forwards for View! Not to say that the son has not fallen far from the apple tree!

On the other side of the coin couple of years later, another GPS school which I shall not name, didn't do anything about their own star forward for doing the same to the Joeys' star forward which happened in front of the Joeys' grandstand.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
In my final year at Joeys the 3rd XV's half back stomped on someone pretty heavily at the break down right in front of the Joeys Stand, the school gave him two weeks off.
It needs to be done. No matter the level.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From my time at View, the then Firsts coach didn't hesitate suspending his star forward for one game for a punch off the ball, ironically that said player is a father of one of these current star forwards for View! Not to say that the son has not fallen far from the apple tree!

On the other side of the coin couple of years later, another GPS school which I shall not name, didn't do anything about their own star forward for doing the same to the Joeys' star forward which happened in front of the Joeys' grandstand.
The coincidence would be too much: I played in that game - not for View. MD (I assume thats who you mean) was justified on one view because the bloke he hit was on the ground and lashed out with his foot hitting him in the orchestras.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
1st - Joeys/Kings. If Joeys beat View first up the premiership decider will take place in round 6 at Parramatta. Joeys backs had been disappointing up until last weekend when they finally clicked at Shore. If Barclay and Kay can fire and the forwards maintain there good form i don't think they can be beaten. Kings just need to keep doing what they're doing and hope to topple Joeys in the forwards.

3rd - Newington. Weren't that impressive when i saw them, if a team can get on top of Tepai and Teane then they can be beaten. Not ruling out a three way premiership though.

4th - View. Someone asked me "tell me why you think Joeys can beat View with there 3 Aus Schoolboys playing". Simple, View haven't had a win over a GPS contender this year, and i don't think they will. Have 4 great players (Redden) but IMO have not enough after that.

5th - Shore. Got beaten by 16 against Joeys, but were up against a much improved side. Think there big game will come against Scots, will have it all over there forwards and i believe they can match it with Scots favoured backline.

6th - Scots. Great backs, offer nothing in the forwards.

H

HarveyColon

that seems about right except I wouldn't underestimate view, they are big game players and won't back down but if they lose to joeys 1st round its all over red rover.

Totally agree about Scots aswell.......to hypothesise here: If scots were missing at least two of their big three, would SGS be able to snatch victory at home.....IMO they are evenly matched in the forwards. Have heard rumours of a 125 kilo behemoth lurking in grammar's front row.....apparently quite a good shot putter aswell from what I hear

J

Jazzman

that seems about right except I wouldn't underestimate view, they are big game players and won't back down but if they lose to joeys 1st round its all over red rover.

Totally agree about Scots aswell...to hypothesise here: If scots were missing at least two of their big three, would SGS be able to snatch victory at home...IMO they are evenly matched in the forwards. Have heard rumours of a 125 kilo behemoth lurking in grammar's front row...apparently quite a good shot putter aswell from what I hear

But the question is , can he clean 60kg ?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
In my judgement I would list the following placements on the present pre-season results

Schools to be placed either

New 1st/2nd/3rd

Kings either 1st/2nd/3rd

Joeys either 1st/2nd/3rd,

But I would place Kings or Newington more likely to fill out the top two spots, nor would I rule out a shared championship between Kings/ Newington or Newington/Joeys/ Kings.

Riverview in 4th place

Depending on the grounds and the weather Scots or Shore in 5 or 6. If this poor weather persists with wet grounds that restrict backline play Shore could jump over Scots with their forwards benefiting over opponents with less skilled forwards

Of course these predictions are subject to injury, bounce of the ball and upset wins.

Only time will tell.
Good to see you studied ambiguity. Be decisive! Tell us all who you really think. :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The GPS judiciary contains members of the AAGPS Executive & the Rugby Convener. Players sent off provide a written statement of their action; a referee report is tabled and video evidence is viewed. This system does penalise offenders on the severity of their offence - not a system that sweeps under the carpet on field incidents.

Are there findings published to act as a deterrent measure, or do we need to rely on Facebook, gossip and the absence of individuals on the ovals to confirm punishment?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The coincidence would be too much: I played in that game - not for View. MD (I assume thats who you mean) was justified on one view because the bloke he hit was on the ground and lashed out with his foot hitting him in the orchestras.
and if i have the correct "father" the referee that day was the great Dr Roger Vanderfield who had the distinction, I was told, of never having sent a player from the field (presumably because of the absolutely incredible blast he was able to give on his whistle): this may have been a lucky break for MD as it happened right in front of him.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Are there findings published to act as a deterrent measure, or do we need to rely on Facebook, gossip and the absence of individuals on the ovals to confirm punishment?
Why?
Most games are played in the right spirit. The Schools certainly do not condone or encourage foul play.There are a thousand other/more important issues.
If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
It's not matter coming down with an empathic statement that school will win the GPS championship. Such a presumption would be simplistic in the extreme with 6 matches to be played. An astute assessment must take account of variables such as injuries, weather, loss of forum and teams gaining forum. When consideration is given to these variables no one school at this stage of the season should be single out and given outright favouritism. Rather groupings should be applied particularly to the top three schools that i identified.
Hence it is not not matter of being decisive, but a assessment brought about by professional training in the workplace. It removes, guesswork, emotive assumptions and prophecy. Its deep, professional and their are no pictures. I encourage you therefore to take such an approach and enjoy the clarity it brings even if it provides a number of differing assessments.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
It's not matter coming down with an empathic statement that school will win the GPS championship. Such a presumption would be simplistic in the extreme with 6 matches to be played. An astute assessment must take account of variables such as injuries, weather, loss of forum and teams gaining forum. When consideration is given to these variables no one school at this stage of the season should be single out and given outright favouritism. Rather groupings should be applied particularly to the top three schools that i identified.
Hence it is not not matter of being decisive, but a assessment brought about by professional training in the workplace. It removes, guesswork, emotive assumptions and prophecy. Its deep, professional and their are no pictures. I encourage you therefore to take such an approach and enjoy the clarity it brings even if it provides a number of differing assessments.
Touché :)

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
and if i have the correct "father" the referee that day was the great Dr Roger Vanderfield who had the distinction, I was told, of never having sent a player from the field (presumably because of the absolutely incredible blast he was able to give on his whistle): this may have been a lucky break for MD as it happened right in front of him.
Sorry to ruin the myth but Dr Roger sent me off for punching in a Colts game.

Status
Not open for further replies.