• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gps guru

GPS selectors seem to go for tough forwards as captains - Wells and Walters in 2011. I'd go with Rorke for the 1s.
I beg to differ. I think you may find that Oscar Pryor-Lees would be an ideal choice as captain, either from no.3 or no.1

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
T.H. Lion - - RE #1176
To be fair to the boys from B/Hill - they coped nearly 50mm of rain about 2 hours before the match ( thats about 2 inches on the old scale) - and there would be very few ovals that could cop that sort of hammering & come up smiling - Joeys oval would possibly/ probably have coped, and maybe even Shore's. It certainly suited the Shore pack on the day !
Intersetingly, the newly laid stuff ( where they dug up the cricket pitch recently) seemd to survive pretty well, by all accounts.
It's definitely not one of the best wet-weather ovals - but nor is it the worst under such circumstances. And at least they played - many Council ovals would have been shut down before you could have said "Boo" !

E

elcapitano

Pretty spot on with the firsts and your comments about the wingers and centres, experience is important, only possible change is that O'Donnahue could take Cannell's place. O'Donnahue has been pretty good but definitely one of those two. With the seconds i believe Kay should get the no. 10 jersey over Deegan based on experience and recent form. Who would you have as your captains for the 1's and 2's?

I agree i think o'donohue is a real gem, one of those glue guys that every team needs. The players that play with him know he is going to be in the trenches with them, he is willing to do the dirty work that not a lot of boys this age are interested in doing.

E

elcapitano

I beg to differ. I think you may find that Oscar Pryor-Lees would be an ideal choice as captain, either from no.3 or no.1

As stated before guru opl plays .1 this position is almost certainly taken by robertson, to be captain he will have to make the side over Tom

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
possible gps 1's

1. oscar pryo lees (n)
2. vea (n)
3. sandell (j)
4. rorke (r)
5. cannel (n)?
6. dempsey (r)
7. morris (n)
8. whitely (r)
9. lussick (n)
10. horiwitz (s)
11. holmes (s)
12. stewart (s) /tepai (n)
13. milne (n)
14. foketi (k)
15. kellaway (s)

on what i have seen the 3 trail games so far these are the in form or given gps 1's players
All in all,pretty solid, but definitely O'Donahue in at 5. Sheer allround ability and beat Cannell comprehensively. A must as LG said earlier, plays like an extra flanker. Saw video of his cover tackle v New. Pure rugby gold.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
I agree i think o'donohue is a real gem, one of those glue guys that every team needs. The players that play with him know he is going to be in the trenches with them, he is willing to do the dirty work that not a lot of boys this age are interested in doing.
What I saw against riverview he was dynamic. The hit that Rorke put on him stunned the crowd, but he was straight back up actually not fazed and played on. I think the tackler definitely came off 2nd best. What is the history on the guy?

Waratard

Stan Wickham (3)
Must agree with you SM, however i do disagree with your statement regarding rorke and milne not performing. i agree that dempsey and stewart havnt been on form and from what i have heard in some cases been dominated by the oppostion, but especially based on what they did last year, the selectors will most probably place them in the GPS 1's. Rorke has been an obvious force for the riverview boys where his part in set piece, defence and attack is pretty outstanding, and over that of any other second rower in the GPS. Milne is also a particularly skillful player and against Joeys last weekend, would have had to be their standout player - where in both attack and defence he threatened. he made a mock of Barclay (who played GPS 1's last year) but in other games Barclay has shown why he deserves to be in the GPS 1's jersey. your statements about lussick, deegan and dempsey are backed up by myself, especially Lussick who has been shown as being a weak link as a part of the Newington team.

I dont understand how you can say dempsey is out of form?? Out of form suggests that a player is consistently in a slump where they are not playing to their full potential. Dempsey played against st pats and was dominant as of last year, but St pats is St pats... Besides that he has been injured and only played in the Kings game which was no indication to an out of form player.

Stewart is a different story because he has played a few games in a row where he has not performed and now is suffering an injury.

G

GPS_Rugby 101

As stated before guru opl plays .1 this position is almost certainly taken by robertson, to be captain he will have to make the side over Tom
I must say, the game at hunters hill on the weekend was a tough hit out in the forwards, this allowed us to see the much anticipated battle between Oscar Pryor Lees and Tom Robertson. Overall i was pleased with both players performance, but i believe OPL slightly edged out Robertson and would be a better selection in the GPS 1's

Scrummaging was an even part of the game, but i believe Robertson has reached his potential in this area, however OPL will continue to improve, based on the fact that he is new in this position.

Another main part that differentiated the players was work rate around the ground, OPL's loose forward background proved to be beneficial as he had a considerably higher work rate than Robertson. Both in and around the breakdowns and also running the ball.

It will be an interesting choice of selection and i will be eagerly awaiting the rematch at Stanmore in the last round of GPS competition

G

gps guru

What I saw against riverview he was dynamic. The hit that Rorke put on him stunned the crowd, but he was straight back up actually not fazed and played on. I think the tackler definitely came off 2nd best. What is the history on the guy?
O'Donahue was the captain of the victorious Joeys Cricket team for 2011/12, he seems to be the emotional leader of the 1st XV also. Works until he is red raw, apparently some of the Joeys boys have nicknamed him "Hellboy", I'm assuming because he gives the opposition hell. Not sure on this though, can someone confirm?
He was injured last season due to very bad shin condition, but has really come back firing this season. It will be hard for Josh Schwager to force his way back into the second row, with him and Hardy in sublime form

G

gps guru

It will be a tough contest for that No.1 jersey, I am very keen to see the selection.

G

GPS_Rugby 101

It will be a tough contest for that No.1 jersey, I am very keen to see the selection.

I honestly believe you will continue to see improvemenys in OPL's game, he will be the better choice for the GPS 1's

J

Jackson Smith

gps 2s

1.robertson
2.carloman
3.ahosivi
4.cutler
5.cannel
6.macalman
7.morris
8.moylan
9.short
10.deegan
11.jones
12.tepai
13.barclay
14.milne
15.kay

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
Scrummaging was an even part of the game, but i believe Robertson has reached his potential in this area, however OPL will continue to improve, based on the fact that he is new in this position.
---------------------------

New's front row will continue to improve as play more trial games. They will peak it the right time for the beginning of the comp.

G

Green&GoldiesAhooker

1. Robertson (J)
2. vea (n)
3. sandell (j)
4. rorke (r)
5. o'donahue (j)
6. dempsey (r)
7. Murphy (j)
8. whitely (r)
9. lussick (n)
10. horiwitz (s)
11. Holmes (s)
12. stewart (s) /tepai (n)
13. milne (n)/barclay (j)
14. foketi (k)
15. kellaway (s)

what i believe to be the best team to represent the GPS schools, i believe the year 12 boys should get the nod over the year 11 boys just because of experience. This is why i wont be surprise with a center pairing of stewart/barclay again!

Goldie for (2) ?

G

GPS_Rugby 101

Goldie for (2) ?
gps 1's prediction

1.Pryor Lees (n)
2.Vea (n)
3.Sandell (J)
4.Rorke (r)
5.cannel (n)
6.dempsey (r)
7.Randall (k)
8.Whitely (r)
9.Lussick (n)
10.Horiwitz (s)
11.Holmes (s)
12.tepai (n)
13.milne (n)
14.foketi (k)/Jones (k)
15.Kelloway (s)

James Goldie has played at a decent standard this year, but i do not believe he has the skill set to compete with david vea. Although he should be picked in the GPS 2's or 3's

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)
gps 1's prediction

1.Pryor Lees (n)
2.Vea (n)
3.Sandell (J)
4.Rorke (r)
5.cannel (n)
6.dempsey (r)
7.Randall (k)
8.Whitely (r)
9.Lussick (n)
10.Horiwitz (s)
11.Holmes (s)
12.tepai (n)
13.milne (n)
14.foketi (k)/Jones (k)
15.Kelloway (s)

James Goldie has played at a decent standard this year, but i do not believe he has the skill set to compete with david vea. Although he should be picked in the GPS 2's or 3's

Whats everyones deal with Lussick? everyone has been raving about him for the last 2 seasons, I don't think he will make GPS 1'S If he makes a GPS team at all. I really doubt he will be picked in 1's, it would have to be the Shore 9 or one of the two joeys 9's

G

GPS_Rugby 101

Whats everyones deal with Lussick? everyone has been raving about him for the last 2 seasons, I don't think he will make GPS 1'S If he makes a GPS team at all. I really doubt he will be picked in 1's, it would have to be the Shore 9 or one of the two joeys 9's

To be honest, none of the GPS scrum halves have been anything more than impressive. I all of the no. 9's need to step up to wear the GPS 9 jersey.

F

Finland Fella

Who's been raving about Joey ???
Every comment I've read about the lad on this forum has been negative.
I'd love to see him prove everyone wrong and take control ...
Mind you, I think he is in Year 11 so maybe that'll happen next season.

P

Pawl

Gps 1st XV

1. Robertson (J)
2. Vea (N)
3. Sandell (J)
4. Rorke (I)
5. Buckling (E)
6. Dempsey (I)
7. Murphy (J)
8. Whitely (I)
9. Pulver (E)