• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... Take off the pink and blue blinkers and give credit where it's due as others who post here do when commenting objectively about a game.

LMAO@CTPE

The passion is just oozing out here!

I tell you what, I tell the boys to take of their glasses if you promise to do the same with your 'SKY BLUE & WHITE' pair!

Lmao lmao lmao lmao ... ... ... ... ... And it's only the trials thus far!!! Imagine what this joint is going to like when the season proper Kicks off!

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
So with only one round of GPS trials left we have the following results in the firsts:

19th May:

Newington (h) 19 def Kings 10
Joeys 17 (h) def Scots 12

26th May:

Kings (h) 35 def Shore 28
Joeys 38 def Riverview (h) 28
Scots 19 def Newington (h) 17

2nd June:

Newington 17 def Joeys (h) 12
Shore 10 def Scots (h) 7
Kings 12 (h) def Riverview 10

16th June:

Riverview 28 def Scots (h) 15
Newington 17 def Shore (h) 14
Kings 19 def Joeys (h) 12
Grammar def High

Some observations on results:
  • Biggest winning margin is only 12 (excl Grammar v High)
  • Average winning margin is approx 6 (excl Grammar v High)
  • No team is unbeaten
  • Newington & Kings have only lost once
  • Scots have only had one win but it was against Newington!
  • Shore will be very competitive
  • Riverview are warming up and have a great draw
  • Joeys two losses have both been at home
Remaining round on 21st July sees:

Shore (h) v St Josephs
Newington (h) v St Ignatius
Scots (h) v Kings

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
LMAO@CTPE

The passion is just oozing out here!

I tell you what, I tell the boys to take of their glasses if you promise to do the same with your 'SKY BLUE & WHITE' pair!

Lmao lmao lmao lmao . . . . . And it's only the trials thus far!!! Imagine what this joint is going to like when the season proper Kicks off!

Newbie those black and white glasses (one side has the number 12 and the other 13) are clouding your vision :)

Bill McLean (32)
Newbie those black and white glasses (one side has the number 12 and the other 13) are clouding your vision :)

Now now now just back up a minute ... ... ... Lol ... ... ... Being a good Catholic boy I cannot bring my self to like any of the separatist GPS schools (i.e. the Proddys ... lol)!

I just happen to appreciate 'Dual Codies' who excel at rugby (not forgetting that I have banged the drum of a few Auggies boys in the ISA thread). It just happens to be case at present that New have two such players in that category at the moment!

And to prove that my glasses are clear you might need to go back a few pages where I was really pushing the Foketi barrow!

LMAO

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Now now now just back up a minute . . . Lol . . . Being a good Catholic boy I cannot bring my self to like any of the separatist GPS schools (i.e. the Proddys . lol)!

I just happen to appreciate 'Dual Codies' who excel at rugby (not forgetting that I have banged the drum of a few Auggies boys in the ISA thread). It just happens to be case at present that New have two such players in that category at the moment!

And to prove that my glasses are clear you might need to go back a few pages where I was really pushing the Foketi barrow!

LMAO

I too am a product of your faith and despite the aspersions cast don't own a pair of sky blue and white glasses but know many of the current GPS opens boys (including the Kings boys) through their involvement in ARU squads. I acknowledge that you've backed Foketi for some time but if you read my now 617 posts you'll see that I've also backed boys from every GPS and other schools regardless of denomination.

Waratard

Stan Wickham (3)
how did riverview vs scots does any one have reporst. who were the standouts from each team?

kings vs joeys was a blinder of a game kings forwards were terrific defensively and just were in the game longer than joeys were. this year truly is shaping up to be big!

View vs Scots

This game was a battle between one of the best back lines (S) and the best forward packs (R). Scots went in early from a quick tap and snip by the half back (20). From this point it was just domination by the View forwards with occasional brilliance from the Scots backs. View pack has a few changes and looked fitter and faster then previous weeks. Scots pack was small and quick but ineffective in the scrums and rucks. Scots backs had it all over the View backline and scored their 3 tries from back plays.

Horwitz, Kellaway from scots were the best for the home team closely followed by 11? (holmes i think) who scored a brilliant try at the final whistle.

Dempsey and Whitely were the best on the park, Dempsey looked impossible to stop with ball in hand scoring 2 of the 4 tries for View and it seemed the rest of the pack fed off his aggression, Whitley 8 captained very well and showed very good determination around the park for the full 70 mins, and grabbed a great charge down try. Rorke 4, seemed quiet but was solid in defence.

Score line flatters Scots somewhat seeing as they seemed to score out of nowhere and lack go forward from their pack. View will face them at home next time which should help.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
You have to read between the lines - sure his left arm is bound but he just has to let go his grip, he has freedom to do that - it is the right arm that is the one caught in the scrum. I would have added the word "caught" had I thought that anybody would have been unsure about what I meant. Obviously I should have.

Lee you need to revisit the textbooks on scrummaging. It has little to do with "arms being caught" as either prop can release their internal arm binds on their own hooker at any time. They can also release their own external arm binds on their opposing prop at their leisure. The LHP's advantage is that, unlike his THP counterpart, his head and neck are not "caught" on engagement of the scrum between those of his opposing hooker and prop, and so the LHP can disengage quickly provided he can "escape" the external binding arm of his THP opponent.

As for your comment - "I would have added the word "caught" had I thought that anybody would have been unsure about what I meant. Obviously I should have." - coming from a moderator of this site it's a cheap shot and sets a poor example for other users.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
So with only one round of GPS trials left we have the following results in the firsts:

19th May:

Newington (h) 19 def Kings 10
Joeys 17 (h) def Scots 12

26th May:

Kings (h) 35 def Shore 28
Joeys 38 def Riverview (h) 28
Scots 19 def Newington (h) 17

2nd June:

Newington 17 def Joeys (h) 12
Shore 10 def Scots (h) 7
Kings 12 (h) def Riverview 10

16th June:

Riverview 28 def Scots (h) 15
Newington 17 def Shore (h) 14
Kings 19 def Joeys (h) 12
Grammar def High

Some observations on results:
  • Biggest winning margin is only 12 (excl Grammar v High)
  • Average winning margin is approx 6 (excl Grammar v High)
  • No team is unbeaten
  • Newington & Kings have only lost once
  • Scots have only had one win but it was against Newington!
  • Shore will be very competitive
  • Riverview are warming up and have a great draw
  • Joeys two losses have both been at home
Remaining round on 21st July sees:

Shore (h) v St Josephs
Newington (h) v St Ignatius
Scots (h) v Kings

Not sure about SHORE being 'very competitive'. I was thinking they would be (as per my previous posts) hence went to Northbridge on Saturday to check them out.

The score at half time I believe was 17 - 3 (I think) either way the first half was one way traffic to NEW, I thought the SHORE fullback was outstanding.

The key to the game which seems to have been missed by earlier posters was that ONLY the first scrum in the second half was contested. The NEW scrum had been dominant in the first half and were neutralized by this in the second. This said NEW should have adapted but didn't.

A good effort by SHORE all the same but if NEW had been allowed to push post 3 penalties 5 yards out in the second half the score would have been very different. SHORE are better than previous years but will finish 4th at best.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As for your comment - "I would have added the word "caught" had I thought that anybody would have been unsure about what I meant. Obviously I should have." - coming from a moderator of this site it's a cheap shot and sets a poor example for other users.

It took me a while to work out why you made this comment; then the penny dropped: you thought I was having a go at you. I was having a go at me because I worked out why my loose description could have been unclear.

Can you not see a case where my "obviously I should have" comment was not a cheap shot?

I still reckon that it's easier to get out of the scrum as a LHP. Kees Meuws told me that about 10 years ago when I asked him the differences between playing the two positions and that was one of them.

We will have to agree to disagree about the matter.

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... I still reckon that it's easier to get out of the scrum as a LHP. Kees Meuws told me that about 10 years ago when I asked him the differences between playing the two positions and that was one of them.

And here was me going through life thinking all props mindless bullocks, and suddenly here i am being presented with one example of a prop that had a thought process ... ... ... LMAO!

Miracles never cease! Next thing you'll be telling me is that SBHS are odds on for the title this year!

'A thinking prop', a remarkable notion if ever I heard one ... ... ... LMAO

CTPE, your thoughts?

Bill McLean (32)
The constant us of LMAO on this thread is too much to handle. Please no more

Joe,

With respect I cannot accede to your request. You too have been in this site for a while and therefore can appreciate how comments can be misinterpreted if the person is not aware of how they are being delivered!

I have had two cases where this has personally occurred and therefore I will always err on the side of caution!

My apologies but I hope you understand.

G

G-78-XV-V

CTPE thanks for your summary of the trial matches to date, very good, I was wondering, does your skill at stats go as far as half time scores?? which would give an indication of which teams hang in there and finish well etc ???

W

Wowsah

Not sure about SHORE being 'very competitive'. I was thinking they would be (as per my previous posts) hence went to Northbridge on Saturday to check them out.

The score at half time I believe was 17 - 3 (I think) either way the first half was one way traffic to NEW, I thought the SHORE fullback was outstanding.

The key to the game which seems to have been missed by earlier posters was that ONLY the first scrum in the second half was contested. The NEW scrum had been dominant in the first half and were neutralized by this in the second. This said NEW should have adapted but didn't.

A good effort by SHORE all the same but if NEW had been allowed to push post 3 penalties 5 yards out in the second half the score would have been very different. SHORE are better than previous years but will finish 4th at best.

You failed to mention that shores loosehead seemingly snapped his leg 5 mins in followed by a number of other key forward losses in the first half. So what did the New pack actually dominate? Sure, a really well drilled pack however I suspect a much different outcome would have occurred had those injuries not taken place. For anyone there it was plainly obvious why the scrums ultimately went uncontested. New unfortunately didn't get to face a full strength shore forward pack so really not much to take away from that game for them forwards wise.

Out of curiosity does anyone know what happened to the shore loosehead? From where I was sitting it looked pretty nasty. Never a nice thing to see something like that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.