• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wowsah

I'd put view as the favourite over shore on the weekend. I was at the grammar shore game on the weekend and boy was it a show, the grammar boys really got themselves together in the opening twenty minutes seeing the winger score early and the prop make a few good line breaks. It was also very embarrassing to see the shore 15 fumble the ball over the line, in what looked to be an arrogant display, due to some excellent grammar defence. The score did not indicate how close the game actually was. Shore are going to need to lift if they are going to be able to beat view.

In addition to this, if Grammar can bring the ticker they brought to the shore game to the Kings boys on the weekend we will have a close encounter for the full 70 minutes

Likely story, as someone else has alluded Shore have this unrivalled habit of playing to their oppositions level whether that be up or down. Nothing much to take away from the weekends game. A very good effort by Grammar however lets not get carried away here, I highly doubt it would be worrying for Shore that they only defeated Grammar by 30 or so points. I think that complacency would have been an issue and when coupled with appalling conditions surprise results are not that out of the ordinary at any level of Rugby (Scotland v Aus). Of course, saying this does not take away from an obviously gutsy Grammar team, they obviously played their grand final against a team they felt they could stun.

Kings will have a training session with Grammar and will win comfortably by 40+. Scots will lose their first game of the season and Shore over View by 5. Joeys looking against the bye.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I see several scribes have picked Shore to beat Riverview.
Both losses by view have been by tries out wide.
Riverview over the last few years have had a reluctance to pick backrowers with good cover defence and so if the wingers miss first up tackles there is little between them and the line. Riverview has lost the pacy Mete to injury and the other wing options are soft.
This said does Shore have the ability out wide to captalise on this weakness?

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
Riverview over the last few years have had a reluctance to pick backrowers with good cover defence and so if the wingers miss first up tackles there is little between them and the line. Riverview has lost the pacy Mete to injury and the other wing options are soft.

(14) Oldham has serious pace and is agile. (11) Buchanan-Reeks isn't as quick, but is a smart player, shown when he scored a length of the field chip and chase try on the weekend. (13) Arnold and (15) Davies are also quiet fast off the mark. It's certainly a much quicker backline than last year, but lacks size, so they struggle to make metres through crash balls.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
we haven't seen a cover defending backrower in these parts for nigh on 20 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M

melly-mell

Riverview vs Scots
I did choose to go to this game over the New vs Joeys game merely to see a team with a dominant pack up against a team with a dominant backline. I think we all know which is which.

Scots 4 trys, 3 converted, 1 penelty. 29. Kellaway 4/5
Against
Riverview 3 tries, 3 converted, 1 penelty. 24. Freeman 4/4

Onto the game:
- Riverview forwards displaying there intentions very clear, taking it up continuously on the edge of the ruck, getting over the advantage line. It was working, I just think at the speed it was done was keeping the scots forwards in it. They would get 4 to 5 meters over the ad line and then for some reason wait a good 7-10 seconds some even longer to do it again, giving the scots forwards time to reline and match up.
- Scots, doing what they do best, played a very lateral game, going from one side of the field to another, moving the big riverview forwards around endlessly. Not a perfect performance from the boys in yellow, a few unforced errors, but still very dangerous when the ball was shifted.

As for the trys. Riverviews, one was from a set peace off a lineout putting the prop over in the corner. (probably try of the game). One from close to the line forward play. And the last from a quick tap close to the line.

Scots, cant remember there first one, pretty sure it was out wide. Second one was one halve time, with lose ball jumped on by the scots 12 running up the middle of the field, then across in the corner. Right on halve time, coach killer for riverview as it was right before riverview scored. Making it 2 trys each at the break, and one penalty to scots.
Then their two second halve trys, one down the sideline running about 50m then the other, just good ball movement with running decoys.

Some players I thought stood out
Scots:
- - 10, Horwitz, controlled the game very well keeping his composure and throwing nice passes all day. Could not have asked for much more from the flyhalf.
- - 8, Crighton, first time seeing him play, was informed he was a yr 10 student. Did play well. Played nice and tight, stood up to the big view boys that were charging at him. Look forward to seeing him in the future.
- - 15, kelloway. As expected, terrorizing the view defence all game. Scored a good try. Was the main strike force for scots continuously hitting the line at speed, view found him hard to defend. To ad to that the cohesion amongst the scots backs was something to admire, all the decoy runners and ball carriers in position was good to watch.
- -- The scots pack as a whole, don’t know individuals. But there ball retention is to be commended. In my eyes it was ultimately what one them the game continually giving there backs good ball to play off. Did tremendously against a much bigger more physical pack.
- - The scots 9, did a good job always getting the quick ball, clearing it with real urgency. Quite the opposite to the Riverview 9 who did a hell of a lot of ball watching.

Riverview:
- - Rorke, second row. Would not mind seeing his stats. A mountain of work in attack and defence. Would often take 3 sometimes ever for scots boys to get him down.
- - Whiteley (at 12!!), had a slow start with a few loose carries. Scored a good quick tap try late in the game to give view a chance. I think it was defense that he earnt his write up today. As Jim stewart was held off quite well.
- - Dempsey, a good game. Making a few linebreaks, breaking tackles proved hard to be contained.
- - The prop that scored the first try in the corner. After watching this spectacle I made a note to keep an eye out for him. He tackled all game and ran the ball very well. Would love some more info on him? Name? did he play reps? Good player!

Riverview under a large injury cloud. The second halve they lost there hooker and one prop, one of there second rowers. This effecting their lineout. Then in the backs, Mete the new winger, and the fullback with the a shoulder injury I believe. Oh and the reserve hooker in replacement also came off with a shoulder problem. Having halve of the seconds team to finish the game off I guess earns them a share of gratitude. Hope none of them serious injuries or the riverview boys will find themselves stretched for depth I think.

To sum it up I would say scots did enough to won, however it was taken down to the wire with Riverview almost going over in the last play.

So view, kings and joeys all losing their last 2 matches. Unexpected. Will report back later in the week for round 4 predictions
Thanks for Reading
John Dale

Finally someone showing interest in forwards from riverview other than the supposed 'big 3'. #1 Nathan Kelly out played all the other riverview forwards and was best on field for view.

John Dale

Frank Nicholson (4)
Too much hype about shore. If they are to get over view this weekend (which they could well possibly) then they will have had the easiest start to the season one could ask for.
1. Kings: A good win by Shore, not taking anything from them however Kings are not really title contenders.
2. Bye.
3. Grammar.
4. Riverview: who are evidentially not the team everyone thought would come out this year to defend their title.
5. Scots
6. Newington
7. Joeys.

The last 4 games for Shore will be there 4 hardest games no doubt.
I think they will have done extremely well if they get away with two victories in their run home.
Good Luck to them though!

Melly-mel.
'Finally someone showing interest in forwards from riverview other than the supposed 'big 3'. #1 Nathan Kelly out played all the other riverview and scots forwards'.
Other teams have merely figured out that the 'big 3' is hardly a threat compared to a 'big 15'. If you kind of understand what I'm getting at.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If they are to get over view this weekend (which they could well possibly) then they will have had the easiest start to the season one could ask for.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing: would anyone have tipped a shore victory over kings? Thats a tough game to start with when combinations are unlikely to be as good as they will get.
Since the View game is yet to be played I don't see how it could be classed as easy: "could well possibly" is an interesting assessment of prospects - do you mean that if Shore lose then they wont have had an easy start to the season? If they win by a point on the bell will that make their season start the easiest one could imagine?
I think you might be just running Shore down.
I suspect these 2 teams are evenly matched so that even if, as you imply, the skill level may not be up with the best it will be something other than easy for both teams.

John Dale

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hindsight is a wonderful thing: would anyone have tipped a shore victory over kings? Thats a tough game to start with when combinations are unlikely to be as good as they will get.
Since the View game is yet to be played I don't see how it could be classed as easy: "could well possibly" is an interesting assessment of prospects - do you mean that if Shore lose then they wont have had an easy start to the season? If they win by a point on the bell will that make their season start the easiest one could imagine?
I think you might be just running Shore down.
I suspect these 2 teams are evenly matched so that even if, as you imply, the skill level may not be up with the best it will be something other than easy for both teams.

After 4 rounds of rugby. Shore will have had (in my opinion) the four easiest possible games (minus the bye). Weather they win or lose against view I think there last 3 will be there toughest.
At the moment I rank the teams as follows:
1. Newington
2. Scots
3. Joeys.
4. Riverview/Shore
5. Kings
6. Grammar
Hence in my eyes Shore will have not have had to face the top 3.
The match this week for shore will be far from easy, just not as tough as their final 3 encounters.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Wreckless out of interest how many of New's firsts are in years 10 or 11 this year?

I understood that they were planning for a premiership in 2013 being their Sesquicentenary year but it seems that it might be arriving a year earlier!!

Not ignoring you CTPE - just trying to find out! Cheers, Wreckless

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)

After 4 rounds of rugby. Shore will have had (in my opinion) the four easiest possible games (minus the bye). Weather they win or lose against view I think there last 3 will be there toughest.
At the moment I rank the teams as follows:
1. Newington
2. Scots
3. Joeys.
4. Riverview/Shore
5. Kings
6. Grammar
Hence in my eyes Shore will have not have had to face the top 3.
The match this week for shore will be far from easy, just not as tough as their final 3 encounters.
I agree with what you're saying and I'm a Shore supporter. There's just a lot of hype because Shore hasn't been top of the table this far into a season for a long time. It's all up hill from here. we have to play Newington and Joeys away, Scots are in great form and Riverview is always a rival round. I think your underestimating the Kings victory though. They had smashed Scots 50-5 the week before, and beaten Shore in the trials. It was a fantastic win. Shore have had one of the easier starts, and this weeks game is crucial because it could determine whether they are serious title contenders, or whether it all goes south from here. Let's not forget that Shore beat Scots in the trials and drew with Riverview in a Queensland tournament during the holidays.

John Dale

Frank Nicholson (4)
I agree with what you're saying and I'm a Shore supporter. There's just a lot of hype because Shore hasn't been top of the table this far into a season for a long time. It's all up hill from here. we have to play Newington and Joeys away, Scots are in great form and Riverview is always a rival round. I think your underestimating the Kings victory though. They had smashed Scots 50-5 the week before, and beaten Shore in the trials. It was a fantastic win. Shore have had one of the easier starts, and this weeks game is crucial because it could determine whether they are serious title contenders, or whether it all goes south from here. Let's not forget that Shore beat Scots in the trials and drew with Riverview in a Queensland tournament during the holidays.

The battle of the non-import schools to take place. See which schools can be competitive without having to buy in players. So far Riverview are the only team that can win premierships without scholarship boys. Are Shore a chance?? They will have to step up thats for sure. Good luck to them though!

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
The battle of the non-import schools to take place. See which schools can be competitive without having to buy in players. So far Riverview are the only team that can win premierships without scholarship boys. Are Shore a chance?? They will have to step up thats for sure. Good luck to them though!

Its definately the best chance they've had in years. But i'm agreeing that at this stage they are by no means the favourites. For me the favourites in order given the table are:
1 - Newington
2 - Scots
3 - Shore
4 - Kings, Joeys & Riverview equal
The only reason why Shore is 3rd favourite is because they haven't lost a game yet. I think its unlikely that a team who has already lost two games can still win the premiership as there hasn't been a premiership winning team that has lost more than one game in the last 10 years and probably more. Shore could well finish below Riverview, Kings and Joeys, but at least they are still in the title race.

John Dale

Frank Nicholson (4)
Its definately the best chance they've had in years. But i'm agreeing that at this stage they are by no means the favourites. For me the favourites in order given the table are:
1 - Newington
2 - Scots
3 - Shore
4 - Kings, Joeys & Riverview equal
The only reason why Shore is 3rd favourite is because they haven't lost a game yet. I think its unlikely that a team who has already lost two games can still win the premiership as there hasn't been a premiership winning team that has lost more than one game in the last 10 years and probably more. Shore could well finish below Riverview, Kings and Joeys, but at least they are still in the title race.

Fair enough. You have a good argument. I guess at the end of the days its up to the boys. Should be a good game, however i think i will venture over to Bellevue Hill for the battle of the heavyweights of 2012.
Shores best chance to be tied top of the ladder after 4 rounds with either scots or new.
Riverview could be weakened with there large amount of injuries occurring during the scots fixture. A real good chance for the Shore boys.
Will post later on in the week for some in depth predictions.

W

Wowsah

Fair enough. You have a good argument. I guess at the end of the days its up to the boys. Should be a good game, however i think i will venture over to Bellevue Hill for the battle of the heavyweights of 2012.
Shores best chance to be tied top of the ladder after 4 rounds with either scots or new.
Riverview could be weakened with there large amount of injuries occurring during the scots fixture. A real good chance for the Shore boys.
Will post later on in the week for some in depth predictions.
A week makes a big difference. It wasn't that long ago that scots had absolutely no chance this year, view and/or kings would win the comp and shore would finish just above grammar. I think this fact speaks for the value of any predictions on who will win this year. Suffice to say, it is anybodies game.

Status
Not open for further replies.