• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
where are the sonsof Old Sydneians being educated? What about the boys that come through from St Ives and Mosman Prep? Arent' they and their parents 'rugby types'
I can tell you that my son's rugby team contains 2 Old Sydneians as parents and another as a grandparent and none of the boys are going to Grammar - they're all down for another GPS school. The reasons given being lack of balance and lack of reasonable emphasis on sport of any type - not just rugby. A shame that this is happening.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I can tell you that my son's rugby team contains 2 Old Sydneians as parents and another as a grandparent and none of the boys are going to Grammar - they're all down for another GPS school. The reasons given being lack of balance and lack of reasonable emphasis on sport of any type - not just rugby. A shame that this is happening.
All down for the same 'other' GPS school?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
where are the sonsof Old Sydneians being educated? What about the boys that come through from St Ives and Mosman Prep? Arent' they and their parents 'rugby types'

Shore; Scots; Kings; Barker; Newington; Cranbrook; Epping Boys High - see CHS I's - and there just the one's I know of.
Many old boys worry (wrongly) that their sons will not pass the entrance exam and others think ( maybe not entirely accurately) that the school is too focussed on academic performance at the expense of sport.
Speaking only for rugby, IMO, the problem has been coaching: the problem has been partly addressed.
Rugby is weak in both prep schools - St Ives and Edgecliff. This is being addressed I believe, but you cant change the fact that most parents and most teachers did not play the game or, in the case of mothers, did not have brothers who played the game.
This is just a reflection of the school's demographic and, largely speaking, that demographic is not interested in a balance between academics and sport. I am not sure that all the other GPS schools have got the right balance, in this day and age, either.
In some years at St Ives there has been no prep school 1sts.

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... Well, how about some 'ASSICONS’ which I am sure could be applied to us! So here goes ... ... ... ... ... ...

GS,

Legendary stuff those 'ASSICONS'. Bombarded all my children, nieces, nephews, and even the wife!

Admittedly she wasn't to impressed when I had to explain my SMS response of, "Do you think I have (_$_)" to her request for more money this morning! My son's thought it awesome!!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How long till we catch Quade?

Quade is of little relevance in comparison. Using a sample size of 1 thread - the most toxic one.
Quade telling it how it is
Thread started on 20 September 2012
Last post on Feb 16 2013
2705 replies over 136 pages with 90811 views

In comparison over the years, more Gaggerlanders have enjoyed or participated in the annual NSW AAGPS thread as follows:

GPS 2009
Thread started on 26 February 2009
Last post on 18 April 2010
50 replies over 3 pages with 9846 views

GPS 2010
Thread started on 5 April 2010
Last post on 2 May 2011
786 replies over 40 pages with 68796 views

GPS 2011
Thread started on 22 October 2010
Last post on 16 November 2011
1432 replies over 72 pages with 166310 views

GPS 2012
Thread started on 13 August 2011
Last post on 24 September 2012
2798 replies over 140 pages with 439096 views

GPS 2013
Thread started on 14 October 2011
Last post on today
1989 replies over 100 pages with 231859 views

GPS 2014
Thread started on 17 June 2013
Last post on today
17 replies over 1 pages with 567 views

Quade's toxic comments drew almost as many responses as the entire 2012 GPS Season, 2705 posts vs 2798 posts.

There was more information exchanged via the 2012 GPS thread with 439096 views compared to only 90811 views for Quade.

GPS 2013 will be looking to break all records. We have only completed 2 rounds of 10 and are already at 1989 posts/231859 views.

Well worth slapping some advertising on the GPS threads if you want it seen by impressive viewer figures.

The last 35 pages of this thread took less than a month to get filled.

On that rate of posting, this thread will eclipse Quade telling it how it is by the end of July.

Things will/should/may slow down a little during the upcoming holidays.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Deck ya- Dj, There is no such team as the AAGPS Under 16 representative rugby team.

The President of the NSW Schools RU frequently invites boys from school sporting associations that do not attend the Under 16 NSW Schools trials to trial for selection into a Presidents Selection Team. Sometimes they decide to select two Presidents Selection teams if one of the other associations is unable to field a second association team that is competitive.

As AAGPS do not send an association team to the Schools trials, many of the boys selected in the Presidents Selections come from the AAGPS schools. Sometimes there is a boy, unwanted by their association team, that is lucky enough to be selected for the Presidents A or B team from outside the AAGPS.

By all accounts one such boy from St Dominics school seems to have convinced the selectors that he was of a suitable calibre to warrant selection into the Presidents Selection team.

This composite team listing was posted briefly on the AAGPS web site over the weekend. This was possibly in error as it is not an officially recognised AAGPS representative team. Further as this composite selection included boys from schools outside the AAGPS, it is only right and proper that the team list is not posted on the AAGPS web site. To do so could give people an incorrect impression.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Brainstrust at post #135 on the "NSW U16 - Schools, NSWJRU/SJRU/CRJU 2013" thread was quick enough to publish the list of the Presidents' U16s 1st XV & 2nd XV from the AAGPS website before it was withdrawn, if you want to check out the teams. The same team lists were also published in yesterday's SMH.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Many old boys worry (wrongly) that their sons will not pass the entrance exam and others think ( maybe not entirely accurately) that the school is too focussed on academic performance at the expense of sport.
Speaking only for rugby, IMO, the problem has been coaching: the problem has been partly addressed.
Rugby is weak in both prep schools - St Ives and Edgecliff. This is being addressed I believe, but you cant change the fact that most parents and most teachers did not play the game or, in the case of mothers, did not have brothers who played the game.
This is just a reflection of the school's demographic and, largely speaking, that demographic is not interested in a balance between academics and sport. I am not sure that all the other GPS schools have got the right balance, in this day and age, either.
In some years at St Ives there has been no prep school 1sts.

I know of parents who recently went on a school tour of Grammar Edgecliff and after being shown around the school, the father (a Grammar old boy) asked if they were also going to be shown the sports facilities (i.e. Weigall). This was apparently met with a stunned silence followed by a mumbled you're free to have a look on your own if you want to. Result - boy not going to Grammar. This is a mindset which will take a long time to change.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I know of parents who recently went on a school tour of Grammar Edgecliff and after being shown around the school, the father (a Grammar old boy) asked if they were also going to be shown the sports facilities (i.e. Weigall). This was apparently met with a stunned silence followed by a mumbled you're free to have a look on your own if you want to. Result - boy not going to Grammar. This is a mindset which will take a long time to change.

That is astonishing - particularly when they (i.e. the prep schools) have been trading on the fact that in recent years they have had kids make CIS and NSWPSSA rugby and cricket teams.
Love to know the name of the teacher responsible - or at least his or her role.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Deck ya- Dj, There is no such team as the AAGPS Under 16 representative rugby team.

The President of the NSW Schools RU frequently invites boys from school sporting associations that do not attend the Under 16 NSW Schools trials to trial for selection into a Presidents Selection Team. Sometimes they decide to select two Presidents Selection teams if one of the other associations is unable to field a second association team that is competitive.

As AAGPS do not send an association team to the Schools trials, many of the boys selected in the Presidents Selections come from the AAGPS schools. Sometimes there is a boy, unwanted by their association team, that is lucky enough to be selected for the Presidents A or B team from outside the AAGPS.

By all accounts one such boy from St Dominics school seems to have convinced the selectors that he was of a suitable calibre to warrant selection into the Presidents Selection team.

This composite team listing was posted briefly on the AAGPS web site over the weekend. This was possibly in error as it is not an officially recognised AAGPS representative team. Further as this composite selection included boys from schools outside the AAGPS, it is only right and proper that the team list is not posted on the AAGPS web site. To do so could give people an incorrect impression.
is the selction of a boy in the President's XV from a non AAGPS school unprecedented?

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That is astonishing - particularly when they (i.e. the prep schools) have been trading on the fact that in recent years they have had kids make CIS and NSWPSSA rugby and cricket teams.
Love to know the name of the teacher responsible - or at least his or her role.
OK thye obvoiusly must be doing something right in the Preps if these kids are making CIS and NSPSSA. Are the preps les academically focussed than College St? ithought the prep boys passed automatically to CollegeSt with having to take the exam? if the parents have boys down for otehr GPS schools why do thye start the min Grammar prep in the first place? I wonder if Joeys had a prep would their rugby be even stronger?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
is the selction of a boy in the President's XV from a non AAGPS school unprecedented?

If the kid is good enough to keep a boy from AAGPS out of contention for the Presidents selection, then you would have to think that the kid would have been good enough to get a gig in his School association's team.

I know change can occur with glacial pace at times in the AAGPS world.

Maybe it it time for there to be an officially endorsed team called the AAGPS under 16 age group rugby team. This would certainly stop further recurrences of outsiders playing for the U16 GPS B team.

Status
Not open for further replies.