• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I know Lee Grant has banned anymore discussion on the new vs View 2nds but some of us live a long way away and have only just got to a computer.
I was at the game and saw the end of the 2nds.
We are not playing handball, this is a physical contact sport.
I do not condone fighting but having played for many years I know that there can be spur of the moment incidents. What the boys did was not right but these things happen. Even this forum can egg on some of the participants just by discussion on the various teams. I'm sure those players involved will have plenty of time to reflect on what happened.
What did concern me more was the involvement of those on the sidelines. The referee is, in my understanding, the sole arbitrator of the game time and finish. If the coaches were causing concern through abuse then they should have been asked to leave the playing area. There should be a recognisable "ground Marshall" at the venue for the refs to ask to do this. There is no point complaining about referee control if you do not supply him with the appropriate support mechanisms. When the altercation erupted the ONLY people who should have come onto the field were the assistant referees. Then it is up to them to decide the future of the game. I have seen this happen a couple of times at different schools where games have been called off not by the referee but by someone on the sideline and it frustrates me no end as it tells the players who is in charge...........and that does not appear to be the referee.

OK - I am not deleting this because of the circumstances mentioned in the first sentence, but am zapping any quoting, discussion or rebuttal.

You're right - it's not a democracy.

LG

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
I thought the New vs View 2nds referee looked quite young, what are the requirement to referee a GPS competition game?

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Clearly Grammar's age group sides were mismatched against Newington Cs. Scores like that are no good for anyone (and I know that Grammar have been on the receiving end - they'll know how it feels)

I am finding the new competition structure seems to be throwing up a lot of these mismatch scorelines where the High / Grammar / TAS A's are matched against other schools C's and winning by cricket scores.

I appreciate that this is the first year of this new structure and it needs some tweaking (at least i hope they review it). The 3rds comp seems to be very good, but some of the other age groups are throwing up the same scorelines that saw Grammar / High etc pull out of the A grade comps.

So i guess my point is if it is fair on the C grade players from Newington, Shore etc that they are now the cannon fodder for these A sides? Possibly they need to work out a way to grade these teams into A's, B's or C's where applicable over the age groups.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am finding the new competition structure seems to be throwing up a lot of these mismatch scorelines where the High / Grammar / TAS A's are matched against other schools C's and winning by cricket scores.

I appreciate that this is the first year of this new structure and it needs some tweaking (at least i hope they review it). The 3rds comp seems to be very good, but some of the other age groups are throwing up the same scorelines that saw Grammar / High etc pull out of the A grade comps.

So i guess my point is if it is fair on the C grade players from Newington, Shore etc that they are now the cannon fodder for these A sides? Possibly they need to work out a way to grade these teams into A's, B's or C's where applicable over the age groups.
It may happen in the age groups - I have heard that Grammar A's will play Shore's B's in 15s - but I doubt there is room for it in opens as most of the schools want their 2's to be around for their 1's. etc.
It could happen if Grammar 1sts were to play wherever the school they were playing had the 1sts playing - if you get my drift.
The problem then would be Grammar not having any 1st XV home games: it is compulsory for boys at Grammar to attend a 1st Xv game - the chosen game is allocated on the basis of classes. Erosion of this requirement by virtue of kids having to travel to grounds they did not play at would see a further undermining of interest in the game at Grammar and it needs to be built up rather than undermined.
There is no simple solution.
i see the issue as an evolving one having regard to this season's results in 1st XV.
EDIT - just checked the Shore website and their 15B's are playing Grammar's 15A's but in every other age group its their C's against SGS A's.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I've seen him play in games where he has passed well enough.

Overall though, I wouldn't say it's his strong suit, when you compare it to his ball running and game management.
I'm sorry Uncle Lee, but passing is a fairly important part of a No. 9's game. Sort of the same as having a thick neck on a THP. It is a prequisite, not just a one sided affair R to L.

No need to be sorry - you didn't contradict anything in my quote.
LG

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There shouldn't be a GROUND MARSHALL. This is SCHOOLBOY RUGBY FFS!!!!!

Half the time there's not even a touchie or an AR - the exorbitant fees are the price I pay so I dont have to run the touchline or score during summer - though the latter is slipping and I had to do it for the first time last summer!

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Quote deleted

Brian Westlake

It is statements like this (since deleted, LG) that downgrade this forum to just another version of twitter where the same old names keep putting their point of view forward as if it is the only one that should be considered.

If you believe that the schoolboy rugby games should be considered as worthy of delegation from the NSWRRA then I suggest that they should be run on the appropriate lines as are all recognised rugby games. If however you think that rugby played in school should be run according to the school then supply your own referees

As for IS not wanting to support his school or children by running the line or scoring because of the money he has spent then I believe that is a reflection on him. I have refereed for many years and still offer my services to the school when ever I can.

thefencesitter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is it just I who have noticed that the crowds for First XV games have diminished due to the layout of the new competition? Schools are playing upwards of 8 different schools each week, resulting in an overwhelming amount not playing where the firsts are, and consequently a much smaller crowd.

At the New vs. Riverview game on the weekend, there would have been no more than 50 Riverview boys amongst the crowd, vastly outnumbered by the 2nds players and parents! Whilst the New crowd were quite vocal in their support they were still numbering less than 200. Hopefully this disinterest in the first games due to the inconvenience of their location doesn't continue with this competition otherwise decades of tradition can be lost within a few weeks!

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Might I respectfully suggest that within the various school grounds, that it is the MIC / Sports Director who takes on the role of "ground marshall" by default perhaps, as he is the one charged by his employers to ensure that safety / duty of care issues are dealt with appropriately. To request someone else to act as GM would not work IMHO.
That seems to be why SJRU altered the GM requirment to ensure that one from both teams is now required for all Club matches - as one home town GM couldn't really be expected to wield the same influence on visiting Clubs / teams.
As to the Referees - to the best of my knowledge, NSWReferees appoints to all GPS, CAS & ISA 1's & 2's matches. One must therefore presume that they are confident that the whistle-blower is up to the match he is appointed to. However - from personal experience, everyone has a "bad day at the office" every now & then......maybe last Saturday was that particular chap's off day ( no doubt compounded by the circumstances)

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Is it just I who have noticed that the crowds for First XV games have diminished due to the layout of the new competition? Schools are playing upwards of 8 different schools each week, resulting in an overwhelming amount not playing where the firsts are, and consequently a much smaller crowd.

At the New vs. Riverview game on the weekend, there would have been no more than 50 Riverview boys amongst the crowd, vastly outnumbered by the 2nds players and parents! Whilst the New crowd were quite vocal in their support they were still numbering less than 200. Hopefully this disinterest in the first games due to the inconvenience of their location doesn't continue with this competition otherwise decades of tradition can be lost within a few weeks!

I would agree with you on this
It was a disappointing crowd at the Newington game as far as students go.
However I understand that at Riverveiw the boys did not have to go as the 1sts Soccer was being played on 1st field and as they were playing all over Sydney they were allowed to stay and watch that.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As for IS not wanting to support his school or children by running the line or scoring because of the money he has spent then I believe that is a reflection on him. I have refereed for many years and still offer my services to the school when ever I can.

Support?
What does that mean? Barracking?
The kids or teachers judge touch and referee and so they should.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you think parents should get involved in school coaching.
Parental over involvement in school sport has contributed to the problems discussed in this thread.
My contribution to rugby is made away from school: I'll remember to get your approval for that prior to season 2014.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I noticed and thought the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.