• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They play 10 AAGPS comp games this year, plus the odd trial in the pre season.

In the olden days, pre 2013, they played 5 AAGPS games, with slightly more than 5 trial games (many against AAGPS opponents). The trial games (pre 2013) were often played with plenty of passion and pace as starting sport in the 1st XV for the "real" rugby were at stake.

Injuries are an unfortunate side effect of any collision sport.

Has the injury count been any higher this year with 10 AAGPS games, than previous years with 5 AAGPS games and >5 "trial" matches?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

In the olden days, pre 2013, they played 5 AAGPS games, with slightly more than 5 trial games (many against AAGPS opponents). The trial games (pre 2013) were often played with plenty of passion and pace as starting sport in the 1st XV for the "real" rugby were at stake.

Has the injury count been any higher this year with 10 AAGPS games, than previous years with 5 AAGPS games and >5 "trial" matches?

Without calling in the actuaries, I'd imagine that there would be more injuries in 10 rounds of rugby than in 5 rounds, based purely on the logic and mathematics of it. Not all the trial games were as intense as competition games and often involved a bigger squad, with players being rotated on and off the field and certainly players with minor injuries were rested, whereas the instinct in a competition match is to play with the injury.

I think there's also the mental exhaustion, particularly for the struggling teams. It's bad enough copping a 50 point flogging once, but when you have to front up again a few weeks later for a 2nd round it's not a happy thought.

I do disclose that I have never been a fan of the 2 round concept for school rugby. Nothing that I have seen this year or nothing that I've heard from 4 or 5 years of CAS 2 round rugby has altered my view one little bit.

john cena

Frank Row (1)
All 3 games by 40 +

Injuries and two rounds taking their toll. Scots and NEW possibly by more. Riverview building up to a bigger 2014.

Scots and New games are no-brainers. I'm interested to hear why you think that view will beat kings by 40+, seeing as the kings boys form has picked up substantially in the last few rounds. kings beat shore 36-17 while view beat them 33-17, kings then defeated joeys 48-31 whilst view beat them 45-20. judging on this form i think that this weekends game will be a lot closer than you expected.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Scots and New games are no-brainers. I'm interested to hear why you think that view will beat kings by 40+, seeing as the kings boys form has picked up substantially in the last few rounds. kings beat shore 36-17 while view beat them 33-17, kings then defeated joeys 48-31 whilst view beat them 45-20. judging on this form i think that this weekends game will be a lot closer than you expected.

Firstly I am happy to be wrong. I have no allegiance to any of these teams, just enjoy watching.

Riverview I think are an improving team, and have improved all season. They are a young team overall and I think the two rounds has helped their development. Overall they have also been pretty disciplined (with a couple of notable exceptions!). I have watched 2 Kings games and feel their big wins have generally been on days when they have turned up, and the opposition hasn't. Hence some excellent results which in my mind provide overburden to what IMO is a fairly average Kings team. Their discipline / mentality in the first NEW game was terrible, especially from the backs.

Also beating Joeys this year has not been the achievement it has been in the past. I think Kings is resting on this. Whilst I will might get nailed for this I reckon this is the first Joeys team I have seen that at times seem to give up / run out of ideas. Not a normal Joeys characteristic. I actually felt NEW did the same against Scots in the first game at Stanmore and Kings did this in their first game against NEW....especially re running out of ideas.

I haven't seen Riverview do this and with plenty of boys returning next year I think they will be very up for it. There's my wacky reasoning!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I tend to agree with you.

I think that Shore will struggle to hold Newington at Stanmore, despite the undoubted effort that Shore will put in. Everything points to a similar result at Bellevue Hill, although I'd never underestimate a Joeys team with their backs to the wall. Kings are finishing with a wet sail and Riverview have been weakened by injury. The boys from Parramatta could well pull this one off and finish the season on a high.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)

If there are 10 AAGPS comp games for 1nds and 2nds Rugby, what happens to the other sports? Do they have byes every second weekend or do they just play non GPS schools on those second weekends?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If there are 10 AAGPS comp games for 1nds and 2nds Rugby, what happens to the other sports? Do they have byes every second weekend or do they just play non GPS schools on those second weekends?
3rd XV played a 1 round competition which used a different draw. Rugby is the only GPS sport where not every school can compete, because it's only rugby where there is a safethy factor in mismatches. In most GPS sports it's only the 8 Sydney schools involved, so all 8 teams are involved every week.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
3rd XV played a 1 round competition which used a different draw. Rugby is the only GPS sport where not every school can compete, because it's only rugby where there is a safethy factor in mismatches. In most GPS sports it's only the 8 Sydney schools involved, so all 8 teams are involved every week.

dont forget there are some winter sports (and summer for all I know) which are not organised on GPS basis at all - i think volleyball might be in that categroy

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
I agree ILMF. Rarely do boys get away with one punch let alone 20. I think old matey is a delusional Scots boy (judging by his spelling and grammar) who is taking the loss a little harder than he should. And although I am a great fan of Andrew Kellaway and believe he is once in a generation rugby player, I think it would be a bit of a stretch for even him to survive 20 big ones without any issues or evidence. New simply were a better team, deal with it, you take your medicine and move on. Rather than winging about the New game, he ought concentrate on the Pink and Blue monster!
GPS contender if you are talking about the same punches that i saw it was not Andrew but Nick is brother who was getting hit on the ground he is in the second row......... no question new were the better side on the day...... and its not ''pink it cerise''!!!!

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)

They have the old system of a few byes and then go into the comp later, as they play Grammar and High as well

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
dont forget there are some winter sports (and summer for all I know) which are not organised on GPS basis at all - i think volleyball might be in that categroy
I think that Volleyball is GPS only, but can be corrected on this, Water Polo is certainly a ten school combined GPS/CAS with NC, TSC, SJC, SIC & SHS taking part on the GPS side.

Status
Not open for further replies.