• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
Admirable and all it might be to see the Tahs at Stanmore, but will that exercise encourage one more young lad to take up rugby? I suspect they were preaching to the Newington converted.

How 'bout the Tahs turn up for a training session at Nepean Rugby Park? Or somewhere in Campbelltown?
Newington have a large and talented soccer/Football playing population at the School. So if the Tahs can induce one player to rugby the exercise is far from wasted.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
In the overall 35 man squad there are 10 GPS Old Boys with 2 from Newington - Lachie Turner and Ben Volavola (via Endeavour Sports High)

footychixbeers

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't think that you have the speed that you think in these forwards. Joeys will be quick around the park although looking at CTPE's King's side their forwards are likely to be the most mobile. I do however like the potential talent in this Riverview side - a young but very good set of forwards and some very capable backs. Very much potential premiers in 2014 and 2015 provided they take it all in this year.

I disagree with your first statement - referring to the speed of the forward pack - almost entirely. The two named flankers (Menzies and Whiteley) can run 100m in under 11.5 seconds, whilst Hunt and Fotukava can run it in 12 flat. Despite their size Bowditch (4) and Kelly (1) also have quite a bit of toe (under 13 seconds in 100m) with room proving to be very mobile pack in 2013. Out of the 8 forwards, 5 did athletics last year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Admirable and all it might be to see the Tahs at Stanmore, but will that exercise encourage one more young lad to take up rugby? I suspect they were preaching to the Newington converted.

How 'bout the Tahs turn up for a training session at Nepean Rugby Park? Or somewhere in Campbelltown?

Not quite the right thread for that sentiment Lindommer, however I abso-blooming-lutely concur with your statement.

Hopefully some of the "powerbrokers" may be lurking and snooping in this thread and "accidently" read this.

K

kbw

or maybe the reason for training at Newington was not a PR excercise, but a proper training session using the school facilities.
Yes NSW has very good facilities but maybe they were not available.

Sometimes training sessions are actually for training.

J

Jacko smith

Upon watching the 4th IV race at Head of the River today, I was informed the heart and soul of the crew, Tom "The Animal" Collins is making a push for a berth in the Riverview 1st XV. I have heard great things about the young man, apparently runs 100m in 10 seconds and can bench 170kg?? Can play any position, made a surprise appearance at inside center for the 16A's last year against Scots. Bad news for the rest of the GPS.

Have also been informed of the great rugby prodigy Patrick Cain. Apparently Potts and the coaching staff are very high on the young Fijian fly half.

Cousin of Jack Redden, Charles has been kicked out of the college for an excessive amount of shower incidents. Renowned for his love for 'Open Showers', Redden was expected to take his cousins place at 13.

Nado will slot into the fullback position for the 16G's. Meincke is a pedo. Reneker has swag. Huyme is a bogan etc.

Get it up for TC boys!

hmm this is true however this is nothing compaired to the news coming from castle hill recently. it is said that Capt. Hyme suffered a serious injury to the tailbone while grooming the lambs. this means that the youny fijian 10 pat 'the cain train, cones' cainous will be stepping in the inside backs for the 1st XV. charles redden is in goldburn gaol at the moment with his case pending, and its sad to say that its not looking good for the young outside back.

there is one truth in your statement however with Nado slotting into the 15 jersy the G's are looking good this season with reneker and josh d'silives doing under 16's pathways. Somehow...

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
now that the HOTR is over, all can be said is the amount of 1st XV representation within the 1st VIII's from each respective school. I know for a fact that this year, Newington's 1st VIII only had 1 boy (ZR) who could've potentially been in the 1st XV this year and played 2nds last year. Would be interesting to know what other schools' 1st XV players were in this weekends 1st VIII race.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
now that the HOTR is over, all can be said is the amount of 1st XV representation within the 1st VIII's from each respective school. I know for a fact that this year, Newington's 1st VIII only had 1 boy (ZR) who could've potentially been in the 1st XV this year and played 2nds last year. Would be interesting to know what other schools' 1st XV players were in this weekends 1st VIII race.

Rob Black (4/5 or 6), Jamie Greentree (4 or 5) and Tom Bucknell (11 or 14) from King's 1st VIII.

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
So rowing's finished, athletics is getting into stride but I smell real sweat, linament, dirty tape and bloodied bandages - GPS rugby season 2013 is nearly here!!

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
None whatsoever. No one cares about basketball. It rates right up there with soccer, golf and cross country as a school sport. Should be barred. All of them. Make them either Row or play Cricket in summer and Rugby in winter. God forsake us all if someone starts me up about ozzie rules. :)
Careful or I'll send the Waterpolo boys after you...rowing or cricket?? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
None whatsoever. No one cares about basketball. It rates right up there with soccer, golf and cross country as a school sport. Should be barred. All of them. Make them either Row or play Cricket in summer and Rugby in winter. God forsake us all if someone starts me up about ozzie rules. :)

i do agree with your thoughts, if such sports as winter tennis, golf, 'newfit' (basically a school based fitness program for boys who are scared to take a tackle), volleyball, basketball and water polo. Such sports at new that have recently not been as good or have relied on scholarships such as rowing, rugby and cricket for example show that if those sports were barred or had certain limits of numbers to each sport, it would allow for the big 3 original AAGPS sports as Rugby, Rowing and Cricket to thrive in numbers, participation and thus let Newington do better without reliance on sports scholarships to get them 'over the line' to gain a premiership.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
It seems ridiculous that so many boys throughout the GPS are neglecting the traditional australian sports. This is why rugby numbers are dwindling across the state. Support for rugby is going down because people aren't encouraged to play rugby as younguns, preffering the easier soccer and rugby league. Oh well what can we do?

Wolf Out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom