• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashgh

Frank Row (1)
Confirmed Scots 23-13 Shore. Great game of attacking football that went from sideline to sideline. Scots obviously played their usual attacking game, which whilst defended well by the Shore back line ultimately proved too strong. In terms of forward pack, the Shore pack punched well above their weight against a much larger and ill-disciplined Scots pack. Ultimately what decided the game was territory, which heavily favoured Scots for most of the match (perhaps due to unfair circumstances). Anytime Shore were in Scots' 22, they seemed likely to score (2 out of three times i believe). However, Shore were unable to capitalise on a couple of key line outs from penalties. Scots eventually wilted to kicking penalties after some strong Shore defence.

Of other note, Kellaway was again ineffectual at 10 with a lacklustre running game and well contained by Clancy and King (although in reality he really was playing at 12). In fact was binned in 1st half, allowing Shore to score. Thoroughly out played by Clancy with a sharp kicking game, crisp passes and made adjustments to his running game with foresight to the Scots backline. Thoroughly outplayed Kellaway

Shore others: 7, 1 and 15

Scots: 8, 11, 6

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
Newington 50-3 over Kings.
Simply outclassed.
Excuse the "newington view" but the New first XV are not even close to their potential. Their forwards were decent today and while the backs looked far from sharp they captialised on every opportunity and created a lot from nothing. When New get it "Really" together and cut down on errors it will lead to some great RU.
The Kings forwards defended reasonably in the middle but struggled in the scrums. The backs had no answer in defense. Taane without any room set up several tries by getting impossible balls away. Tepai was too strong making a few breaks straight through the defense.

The Kings boys didn't stop and put together a couple of nice moves towards the end of the game.

I hope the boy that got stretchered off is ok.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
An absolute Masterclass game from the Newington 1st XV, in my years since I have left the college, this would have to be on-par with the 51-7 win in 2010 against Joeys.

Final Score 50-3

2nd XV - 20 something to 5 (Newington Win)
3rd XV - 13-0 (Kings Win)

Report will be up tomorrow.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
An absolute Masterclass game from the Newington 1st XV, in my years since I have left the college, this would have to be on-par with the 51-7 win in 2010 against Joeys.

Final Score 50-3

Two big scores against Kings, shapes as a long, long season for them. Shore have also lost 2/2 but seem to have been more competitive. Grammar over Joeys in 3s encouraging for SGS. Any reports on High v Riverview?

Counting the days until Scots v Newington. Shapes as a cracker.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Sorry SmashGH - don't know which rugby match you were watching...
One of the worst rugby matches I have seen in a while at that level - contributed to by an almost incompetent performance with the man with the pea.

Penalty count 21-6 - and his knowledge of U19scrum law almost non existent.
Shore backline spent most of the match off side trying to smother the scots backs - who were dreadful.

Scots Forwards totally dominated the smaller Shore packing winning several tight heads & taking several lineouts as well. Nearly nvery scrum an absolute shambles - and bordering on unsafe.

I trust that one of the more sensible observers will post a match report shortly.

The Hound

chaz

Stan Wickham (3)

Final Score 50-3

I disagree. A few scrappy mistakes, including dropped ball and knock ons. Ted S is on the mark. I fear for the side that meets Newington when they hit their stride.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
Confirmed Scots 23-13 Shore. Great game of attacking football that went from sideline to sideline. Scots obviously played their usual attacking game, which whilst defended well by the Shore back line ultimately proved too strong. In terms of forward pack, the Shore pack punched well above their weight against a much larger and ill-disciplined Scots pack. Ultimately what decided the game was territory, which heavily favoured Scots for most of the match (perhaps due to unfair circumstances). Anytime Shore were in Scots' 22, they seemed likely to score (2 out of three times i believe). However, Shore were unable to capitalise on a couple of key line outs from penalties. Scots eventually wilted to kicking penalties after some strong Shore defence.

Of other note, Kellaway was again ineffectual at 10 with a lacklustre running game and well contained by Clancy and King (although in reality he really was playing at 12). In fact was binned in 1st half, allowing Shore to score. Thoroughly out played by Clancy with a sharp kicking game, crisp passes and made adjustments to his running game with foresight to the Scots backline. Thoroughly outplayed Kellaway

Shore others: 7, 1 and 15

Scots: 8, 11, 6
Why are they playing Kellaway at 10 ? When he is a Natural Ball runner and great outwide. Poor Kid Stupid !

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Sorry SmashGH - don't know which rugby match you were watching.
One of the worst rugby matches I have seen in a while at that level - contributed to by an almost incompetent performance with the man with the pea.

Penalty count 21-6 - and his knowledge of U19scrum law almost non existent.
Shore backline spent most of the match off side trying to smother the scots backs - who were dreadful.

Scots Forwards totally dominated the smaller Shore packing winning several tight heads & taking several lineouts as well. Nearly nvery scrum an absolute shambles - and bordering on unsafe.

I trust that one of the more sensible observers will post a match report shortly.

The Hound
The refereeing in both games today at Northbridge (D. Munnoch 2nds) and C. O'Neill (1sts) gave us a good example why the appointments should be done with careful consideration.

Jaghound was absolutely correct in expressing his concern about safety. U19 Laws Variations are there to protect the younger player which certainly weren't applied this afternoon.

Scrums were a shambles with Mr O'Neill allowing either or a combination of early engagement, 2-3 metre pushes plus pre-planned screwing at most scrums. The Scots scrum was totally dominant. The referee allowed them to demonstrate their dominance right to full time.

When the 1/2 is found on his backside amongst the locks then you know something is wrong.

Offside and early tackling were a minor irritation when compared to the scrums.

Surely it would be useful (as well as showing a duty of care) for referee appointments to schoolboy games of 'grade referees' to be given a copy of the U19 Law Variations.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
What time will the teams go up?

CIRCULAR TO GPS RUGBY TEAMS 2013

Combined GPS Rugby teams will be selected on Saturday evening, 15th June 2013.
All boys should check Sunday morning papers or the website for teams. Alternatively the selectors will have phoned the schools to inform them of representation details on Saturday evening.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Scrums were a shambles with Mr O'Neill allowing either or a combination of early engagement, 2-3 metre pushes plus pre-planned screwing at most scrums. The Scots scrum was totally dominant. The referee allowed them to demonstrate their dominance right to full time.

When the 1/2 is found on his backside amongst the locks then you know something is wrong.
There's scrum dominance and illegal/dangerous scrum dominance. A pity what should have been a great game was ruined by poor refereeing.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
CIRCULAR TO GPS RUGBY TEAMS 2013

Combined GPS Rugby teams will be selected on Saturday evening, 15th June 2013.
All boys should check Sunday morning papers or the website for teams. Alternatively the selectors will have phoned the schools to inform them of representation details on Saturday evening.
Pity that not all teams had a GPS Selector in attendance at each game this year! One game went unnoticed!

Bob McCowan (2)
gps teams are up.
1st xv:
Vunipolu Fifta (N)
Matt Serhon (N)
Matt Sandell (J)
Ned Hanigan (J)
Lachlan Cannell (N)
David Morris (N)
Hamish Dunbar (S)
Angus Crichton (S)
Joey Lussick (N)
Jack Clancy (E)
Matt Craft (S)
Tepai Meoroa (N)
Taane Milne (N)
Latrell Robinson (J)
Andrew Kellaway (S) (capt)

thefencesitter

Allen Oxlade (6)
GPS teams to play CAS on Tuesday 18 June at Knox Grammar School.

All players to assemble at Newington College on Sunday 16 June at 9:30am

Key: E – Shore, G – Grammar, H – High, I – St Ignatius, J – St Josephs, K – Kings, S – Scots, N - Newington

1ST XV
Vunipolu Fifta (N) Matt Serhon (N) Matt Sandell (J) Ned Hanigan (J) Lachlan Cannell (N) David Morris (N) Hamish Dunbar (S) Angus Crichton (S) Joey Lussick (N) Jack Clancy (E) Matt Craft (S) Tepai Meoroa (N) Taane Milne (N) Latrell Robinson (J) Andrew Kellaway (S) (capt)

2ND XV
Doug Streeter (E) Jamaine Crossley (S) Masui Tafui (N) Nick Kellaway (S) Anthony Vasilis (N) Jack McCalman (K) Jum Woodhill (E) Ben Hunt (I) Mitchell Short (S) Andrew Deegan (J) (capt) Bill Freeman (I) Ben Starkey (S) Will Davies (K) Simon Kennewell (N) Nic Clancy (E)

Reserves required to attend on Tuesday
Nathan Kelly (I) Hosea Fotukava (I) Angus Cooke (E) Harry Emery (E) Henry Hutchinson (I)

GPS 3RD XV to play CCC on Friday at Curagul Fields on Friday 21 June
Nathan Kelly (I) Hosea Fotukava (I) Will Ridley (S) Paddy Olver (E) Koim Wingti (J) Olly Kamp (S) (Capt) Patrick O’Brien (J) Angus Cooke (E) Harry Emery (E) Corey Tulloch (K) Charlie Oldham (E) Kurtis Bennett (J) Henry Hutchinson (I) Josh Mitchell (N) Callum Styles (S)

Reserves required to attend on Friday 21 June
Jack Bowditch (I) Tierney Glasson (J) George Prassas (N) Michael Kennedy (I) Tom Molloy (I) Guy Porter (S)

Shadow to attend assemble at Newington College
William McDonnell (J)

Status
Not open for further replies.