• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Have started wondering, and hopefully one of the more knowledgeable folk here can fill some blanks.

Given Scots game yesterday against a New team boasting more then a few Aus School boys, who would be the back up players out there who missed out on Aus and Aus A teams that would be covering the call up in the event of injury.

Someone mentioned before that there will always be injuries to those boys selected, who out there will be the fill ins/back ups? After watching yesterday a couple of Scots boys would have to have made a statement, but i haven't seen enough football to give any sort of meaningful input

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Can anyone confirm who the Newington player was that scored the try straight after half time. I thought it was 9 Lussick however I was up the other end and no one around me could say for sure.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
As others have mentioned, some serious reviews need to be made of Newington's game planning. The pick-and-drive was getting nowhere fast, and the backs consistently fancied themselves one-on-one rather than taking that extra pass; often being tackled and turning the ball over soon thereafter. Not to take away from Scots, however, who played a fantastic game themselves.

Interesting, this was discussed as an issue about these boys(Tep & Taane, if that's who you are talking about) after the recent nationals.

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
SJC 35
TKS 7
16 mins to go
This game was pretty much a mistake fest from Kings who were very ordinary particularly in the first half with a multitude of dropped ball and knock ons a plenty from especially their backs. Based on reports from their previous games against Scots and Newington Kings seem to have some major defensive issues in their outside backs and Joeys were abundantly aware that going wide with the ball in hand would reap rewards and so they did just that. Deegan orchestrated a lot of this and kicked very judiciously as well but McDonnell at 12 was just outstanding and I thought that Maksini's service at 9 hit new heights. In wingers Tim McCutcheon and Latrell Robinson Joeys have two genuine speedsters who are very capable of taking good advantage of the fine work of those inside them. Would love to see the boys adopt this very wide game against Scot's backs as well next weekend.
In the forwards both Marcus Cutler ad Sean Dillon took the most of their promotion into the firsts and dominated the Kings front row while it was good to see Nic Pennisi back playing to the high standards he displayed in his younger days. Joeys also won the majority of the contests for the ball at the breakdown and other than their no 5 Lehman and their 7 Connor Kings did not offer a lot of competition in this area and look to be carrying a couple of lazy players. All in all a good win for Joeys the final score being 42-19.

GoNew

Frank Row (1)
Long time reader first time poster to this site. Firstly a thanks to all of those people who put up match reports, has been great keeping up to date with all of the rugby going on.

Went and watch my old school (Scots) take on New yesterday on the advice of a few mates! Best decision i have made all weekend. A brilliant game of football, played in top shelf spirits and as mentioned above, a lovely little birthday song for the New boys at half time.

Scots were brilliant yesterday, and as has been mentioned, their fullback was the shining star. That said he was very well supported by the two wingers in particular the 14 who ran like a man possessed, and had clearly never got the message that the New centres are monsters. inspiring stuff from him in particular.

The inside backs were a massive point of difference, New looking to go one on one and bust tackles, which the New 12 did a lot of, but Scots looked to shift it and run the bigger side around, which at full time proved the right tactic.

The Scots forwards stuck it to the bigger New boys no doubt, however the New boys never gave up. They made good meters led by one of the props and their 6 & 8 who stepped up time and time again to lead the charge forward, however the Scots forwards shut it down pretty well.

The Scots 7 has got to have the biggest tank going around, ran his guts out until the final bell, even after copping a couple of knees to the head in a nasty looking tackle, am stunned to here he wasnt in any higher rep teams, he is quality!

The Scots "big" (not as big as new) forwards pushed hard all day, and boy do they cover some meters, qality performance from them all to run the New boys of their feet and defend so well when wave after wave of drive came their way.

The New 9 ran all day and was a constant pest, testing his Aussie Schools 9 all game, whilst the New 9 won the running game, the Scots 9 delivered great ball all day, which allowed the back line to run rampant, and showed why he is the Aus schools half, he sets up the big guns outside him so well!

However despite all the accolades, yesterday belonged to the Scots Fullback. What a performance. Stopped tries, Set up tries, Scored tries, could well have sold and won the meat raffle at half time. When a kid of the class is on his game like that, you can only pity his opposition!

After watching the 93 Scots side as a little fella from the hill, it has been a damn long wait to watch the boys in gold run like that and god it was good to see. Apologies if i have blue and gold tinted glasses, but a cracking game from both teams, with the stellar back three from Scots being the point of difference. Its going to be a great last 6 rounds!
Good review. I agree New were outsmarted and the quality of the phase play and backline passing was impressive. Having watched from behind the goal line 2 things stood out
1. New No 10 does not have the passing game to make the most of the 2 guns in the centres
2. Several of the well drilled backline moves from Scots were bordering on obstruction but the ref was letting it go for both all day.
The defence in the backline for both sides was impressive. As everyone has pointed out, Kellaway was simply outstanding everytime he touched the ball.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Two rounds in AAGPS. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to declare TSC the winner so soon. There is still a stack of footy to be played.

The question may be will NEW try the same gameplan next time they meet TSC?

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Long time reader first time poster to this site. Firstly a thanks to all of those people who put up match reports, has been great keeping up to date with all of the rugby going on.

Went and watch my old school (Scots) take on New yesterday on the advice of a few mates! Best decision i have made all weekend. A brilliant game of football, played in top shelf spirits and as mentioned above, a lovely little birthday song for the New boys at half time.

Scots were brilliant yesterday, and as has been mentioned, their fullback was the shining star. That said he was very well supported by the two wingers in particular the 14 who ran like a man possessed, and had clearly never got the message that the New centres are monsters. inspiring stuff from him in particular.

The inside backs were a massive point of difference, New looking to go one on one and bust tackles, which the New 12 did a lot of, but Scots looked to shift it and run the bigger side around, which at full time proved the right tactic.

The Scots forwards stuck it to the bigger New boys no doubt, however the New boys never gave up. They made good meters led by one of the props and their 6 & 8 who stepped up time and time again to lead the charge forward, however the Scots forwards shut it down pretty well.

The Scots 7 has got to have the biggest tank going around, ran his guts out until the final bell, even after copping a couple of knees to the head in a nasty looking tackle, am stunned to here he wasnt in any higher rep teams, he is quality!

The Scots "big" (not as big as new) forwards pushed hard all day, and boy do they cover some meters, qality performance from them all to run the New boys of their feet and defend so well when wave after wave of drive came their way.

The New 9 ran all day and was a constant pest, testing his Aussie Schools 9 all game, whilst the New 9 won the running game, the Scots 9 delivered great ball all day, which allowed the back line to run rampant, and showed why he is the Aus schools half, he sets up the big guns outside him so well!

However despite all the accolades, yesterday belonged to the Scots Fullback. What a performance. Stopped tries, Set up tries, Scored tries, could well have sold and won the meat raffle at half time. When a kid of the class is on his game like that, you can only pity his opposition!

After watching the 93 Scots side as a little fella from the hill, it has been a damn long wait to watch the boys in gold run like that and god it was good to see. Apologies if i have blue and gold tinted glasses, but a cracking game from both teams, with the stellar back three from Scots being the point of difference. Its going to be a great last 6 rounds!

Good luck to you....there's nothing like taking pride in the performance of our old schools.
I was out there...my side went down to a superior outfit.....great day great atmosphere, hope there will be more days like it.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Two rounds in AAGPS. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to declare TSC the winner so soon. There is still a stack of footy to be played.

The question may be will NEW try the same gameplan next time they meet TSC?

Actually four rounds in, but I agree the premiership is still very much up for grabs. Scots still have to play Joeys twice and New once more.

Gossip Girl

Bob McCowan (2)
Gossip Girl was at the Riverview vs Shore 1st XV on saturday, and witnessed the year 10 combination of Rorke and Mcgregor gel perfectly. Unlucky Clancy and the shore boys
You know you love me,
XOXO
Gossip Girl

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
... some serious reviews need to be made of Newington's game planning. The pick-and-drive was getting nowhere fast, and the backs consistently fancied themselves one-on-one rather than taking that extra pass...

... it was frustrating to watch, Scotts played smarter simple footy moving the ball through the hands at speed, played as 15 and deserved the win.

To catch, draw and pass to the man running in space, to follow the pass and loop seems to be a lost art at New. Running into the chest of opposition players expecting them to move out the way, whilst running across the support players lines and only parting with the ball with a Hail Mary one hand offload is the disappointing method of choice.
Defence - a slide from 5/8 12 and 13 would be nice but seem pre occupied with running up fast and smashing someone with a big hit, Scotts played this to a tee, drew them into a narrow channel stood them up and passed outside leaving New wingers copping 3 man overlaps all day long.
Outplayed and outclassed with simple football - letting the ball do the work.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
sounds like Scots really did a good job of outsmarting Newington. Although I wonder if Newington were missing some key forwards, as I know the previous round against Joeys was a torrid battle ... and several (3?) left the field

I know a few Joeys old boys are already claiming some of the credit

anyway full credit to Scots ... and without Crichton ... so Scots weren't full strength

to over excitable old scots boys.... I distinctly remember last years Scots getting thumped by St Augustines ... so the catholics definitely have the wood over the Scots boys

so no room for complacency

and Joeys in my view are very capable of stunning scots ... particularly at home

so between the 16As and the Ists, I think it might be well worth getting out there early

any injuries from Round 4, for the Scots Joeys feature match? Would be nice to see both sides as close to full strength

go the brumbies!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Funny: all those criticising New seem to be lamenting the lack of passing of their centres.
Something I adverted to in the Oz Schools thread and was denounced for.
True I predicted that it might not be until the boys met their physical matches in adult footy so I was out by a couple of years.
The real point of my self-congratulatory post is to observe that no matter how you cut and dice it rugby remains a team sport.

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
Funny: all those criticising New seem to be lamenting the lack of passing of their centres.
True I predicted that it might not be until the boys met their physical matches in adult footy so I was out by a couple of years.
The real point of my self-congratulatory post is to observe that no matter how you cut and dice it rugby remains a team sport.

No argument from me, I was a winger and nothing more frustrating than the inside not passing you a decent ball, I noted more in the crowd were screaming pass the ball so its not going un-noticed.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The real point of my self-congratulatory post is to observe that no matter how you cut and dice it rugby remains a team sport and a champion team will beat a team of champions.

Fixed

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
Being the Newington supporter that i am, and following the 2nds competition as avidly as the big boys, how were the performances around Sydney? I only got the the Newington vs Scots game, and i know i've said this before, but that five-eighth for New desperately needs a chance in the ones. As good as Abrahams is in defence, this Anderson fellow is a remarkable tactician. During the game he kicked the ball off his non-dominant foot as accurately as ive seen anyone else in the competition kick off their good foot. Its a shame he's about the same size as an underfed 15 year old. He is a pest. As a quick note on the 1st's game, I agree with the fact that Scots used their outside backs to magnificent effect. They were running rings around Newington, i was suprised they didnt score more points. It was a shame to see the talented backs like Mitchell taken off and replaced with 2s players, although they did remarkably well in the circumstances.

Wolf Out.

footyking

Stan Wickham (3)
Being the Newington supporter that i am, and following the 2nds competition as avidly as the big boys, how were the performances around Sydney? I only got the the Newington vs Scots game, and i know i've said this before, but that five-eighth for New desperately needs a chance in the ones. As good as Abrahams is in defence, this Anderson fellow is a remarkable tactician. During the game he kicked the ball off his non-dominant foot as accurately as ive seen anyone else in the competition kick off their good foot. Its a shame he's about the same size as an underfed 15 year old. He is a pest. As a quick note on the 1st's game, I agree with the fact that Scots used their outside backs to magnificent effect. They were running rings around Newington, i was suprised they didnt score more points. It was a shame to see the talented backs like Mitchell taken off and replaced with 2s players, although they did remarkably well in the circumstances.

Wolf Out.

Shore 19 beat view 15 - atleast i think thats what the scores were, i know shore did win

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No argument from me, I was a winger and nothing more frustrating than the inside not passing you a decent ball, I noted more in the crowd were screaming pass the ball so its not going un-noticed.

Typical bloody winger - always someone else's fault.
But seriously - you must be delighted that wingers are now treated as full citizens - not sure how, why or when that happened
{sarcasm emoticon}

Status
Not open for further replies.