• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Just a quick question re the AAGPS rugby results for the 3rd XV for round 4. It shows Kings winning over High 31 - 5 and a side note saying that TAS beat High 12 - 0 in an earlier fixture. It would also appear from the table that Grammar had a bye last week as well as Scots. I am fractionally confused as to what has occurred. Anyone able to shed some light?

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
It's a rare skill, isn't it, even for a professional player.

I'll tell you another bloke who can hoof the ball a long way with the wrong foot (and doesn't seem to bother to move his body around so he can kick with the right one) and that's Harry Jones of Barker, who is in the Oz Schools Ones.

It certainly is Leeskies. My little brother played against Jones in pre-Opens football. He said that he's not shocking to tackle, but the way he free's his arms and gets the ball away is unsurpassed in football. That along with his both foot kicking makes for an excellent player. If he and Kellaway can form a combination at wing and fullback, they might be the duo to right Australia's rugby wrongs in the near future, who knows?

Wolf Out.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Gents. I am sorry for my recent outburst two weeks ago. It was out of character and was said in pure vain due to the recent stories of Drugs in Sport and noticeably schoolboy sport.

let's move onto rugby (God's Game).

From here on in we have 6 rounds left for 1sts and 2nds and 5 rounds for the humble 3s.

My pick for the respective teams and the premiers and champions from 1s to 3s.

1st XV

1. Scots/Newington
3.Riverview
4.Joeys
5.Shore
6.Kings

2nd XV

1. Newington/Joeys
3. Riverview
4.Shore
5.Scots
6. Kings

3rd XV

1.Scots
2. Grammar
3.Kings
4. The Armidale School
5. Joeys
6. Sydney High
7. St.Ignatius
8.Newington
9. Shore

Your thoughts?

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hi Gents - I know that New are un back able favourites against Shore this weekend, Shore has a reputation for upsets particularly at home, coming off four straight losses I bet Shore will have New in their sights after losing to Scots...................

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
"One of the joys of watching schoolboy rugby is to consider which of the boys will progress in the sport when they leave school."

It's sometimes hard to understand selections in some teams as well! I am always amazed at some of the so called top players at school that disappear once they leave school! Schoolboy football can be a lot different to playing grade.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
yes, remember half or more of the shore 1st XV 2012 are in this years team. they can cause an upset.
There results thus far suggest a team outclassed as it is made up of Year 11s. If they're mainly Year 12 guys and the 16As are really struggling, they are looking at some lean years. 15As and 13As both weak - 14As seem to be travelling reasonably.

TruBluAussieBattla

Frank Nicholson (4)
Gents. I am sorry for my recent outburst two weeks ago. It was out of character and was said in pure vain due to the recent stories of Drugs in Sport and noticeably schoolboy sport.

From here on in we have 6 rounds left for 1sts and 2nds and 5 rounds for the humble 3s.

1st XV

1. Scots/Newington
3.Riverview
4.Joeys
5.Shore
6.Kings

2nd XV

1. Newington/Joeys
3. Riverview
4.Shore
5.Scots
6. Kings

3rd XV

1.Scots
2. Grammar
3.Kings
4. The Armidale School
5. Joeys
6. Sydney High
7. St.Ignatius
8.Newington
9. Shore

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't be placing grammar at second if I were you. Having seen the monster Italian exchange student known only as 'Big Brando' training for their clash against Scots, I find it hard to believe Scots can finish at the top of the table.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)

1st XV

1. Scots/Newington
3.Riverview
4.Joeys
5.Shore
6.Kings

2nd XV

1. Newington/Joeys
3. Riverview
4.Shore
5.Scots
6. Kings

3rd XV

1.Scots
2. Grammar
3.Kings
4. The Armidale School
5. Joeys
6. Sydney High
7. St.Ignatius
8.Newington
9. Shore

Your thoughts?

I have an odd feeling you're correct about that 1st XV result, though I feel Joeys are a superior outfit to their arch-rivals, and will end up above them. Yes, yes, 'View won the initial encounter, but rugby's a funny game.

In the 2nd XV, I think that Newington are deserved favourites, but I wonder whether we'll see some promotions and demotions following last weekends result. A change in personnel, even if previous 1st XV players, can spell disaster for any team.

And of course, the 3rd XV is where my greatest interest lies. This result will become a bit clearer with the pivotal match up of Grammar and Scots at Weigall this week . For me, it's:

1st XV: Scots

2nd XV: Newington

3rd XV: Scots (though you all know who I'm rooting for!)

Though I think, as in any year, it would be foolish to count out the Joeys boys at any level, particularly in the 2nds and 3rds competitions.

Just a quick question re the AAGPS rugby results for the 3rd XV for round 4. It shows Kings winning over High 31 - 5 and a side note saying that TAS beat High 12 - 0 in an earlier fixture. It would also appear from the table that Grammar had a bye last week as well as Scots. I am fractionally confused as to what has occurred. Anyone able to shed some light?

Well, each team gets one bye due to the 9 team structure. My understanding is that High played TAS earlier in the year so as to reduce the burden on the Year 12 boys leading into their HSC Trial preparation; rather than play last weekend, they chose to play earlier. Every other team will only have one bye this year, but High and TAS will have had two. Howevr, the earlier season result counts as their official game, with TAS winning 12-0, and earning the 2 points.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's sometimes hard to understand selections in some teams as well! I am always amazed at some of the so called top players at school that disappear once they leave school! Schoolboy football can be a lot different to playing grade.

I am not amazed by this: it happens all the time.

Yeah - there are always selection issues and always will be but there are other reasons why "top players" in schools rugby "disappear" and why they were picked for rep footie in the first place.

• Some players get to go to big private rugby schools (and let's not discuss "get to go" in this thread) and can get noticed more than lads who didn't "get to go". The CHS selectors do the best they can but it would have to be the toughest selection gig to have.
  • Later the lads who didn't "get to go" turn up somewhere in Colts and get exposed to some decent S&C and coaching and, of a sudden, they are on equal terms with schoolboy rep players and often surpass them.
  • Also some schools rep players, especially T5 forwards, mature more in their school days and find out that their contemporaries catch up with them, or surpass them, in the first or second year out of school.
  • GPS Ones rugby is pretty tough but Colts can find out the lads who don't want to put their bodies on the line against men who already have a year or two of Colts.
  • There will always be some schools rep players who are driven by things other than rugby once they leave school.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
For someone who seems to be an 'expert' and I use that term very loosely, on grammar rugby, I'm amazed you haven't heard of the boy. He had his first training session with the Firsts today and looks to make a big impact this weekend on his debut at 10

Never claimed expertise in anything.
So we're looking for a bloke called Big Brando from Italy replacing Mackie(?) at 10?

TruBluAussieBattla

Frank Nicholson (4)
Never claimed expertise in anything.
So we're looking for a bloke called Big Brando from Italy replacing Mackie(?) at 10?
Yes that's correct. Mackie is being forced out of the team during the exchange boys short time in Sydney. Further changes include Erozan for Digby, the 8, and Bennett for Tan on the wing. Grammar are seemingly willing to make the big calls to win this competition.

DropkickDownUnder

Frank Row (1)
For someone who seems to be an 'expert' and I use that term very loosely, on grammar rugby, I'm amazed you haven't heard of the boy. He had his first training session with the Firsts today and looks to make a big impact this weekend on his debut at 10

This sort of importation has got to be against the GPS rules! An absolute disgrace. Who in Greg Matthews' good name would bring a child in from another country to play schoolboy rugby? Good grief SGS!

Status
Not open for further replies.