• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveyPocock #legend

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting to hear there is an U15's player in the SGS 1's. I thought there would be a big outcry about this but it doesn't seem to have even caused a ripple.

I think the A's vs C's in the lower age groups need to be looked into - surely a system can be created where kids aren't on the receiving end of a belting each week or in a situation where it's so lopsided it's too dangerous to play.

What position does the 15 year old play? interesting to hear as would have thought he would not have been allowed

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
I think he is better that lussick in my own opinion his pass is excellent can hit the 5/8 on the chest running full pace any where! and he has a huge boot whether it be a box kick or a chip kick like you saw in that video. Just needs to put on more size thats where lussick gets him
Probably can pass both ways as well ?? Get into the gym and get a good weight programme happening. Certainly has Talent.

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm an outsider (no GPS connection), but I have to say, my impression is that this is a competition in trouble.

For some time, I have advocated a complete overhaul of private school Rugby so that schools are matched according to their Rugby aspirations and not historical associations. At the same time, I know this will never happen (because centuries of tradition demand that Grammar play against the Shore Thirds, while Scots put 80 points on the Shore Firsts). Still. It seems to me that you have two schools who have approached their Rugby by deliberately inducing good players to attend (I don't accuse anyone of offering scholarships - I don't know how it's done and I'm happy for you debate it in that other thread). So you have two powerhouse teams who thump everyone else. Well, OK. But everyone I have spoken to about it says that Newington plays its games in front of next-to-nobody - so who is this for? On the other hand, Shore is a school with a long, proud and distinguished Rugby history - it has lost all eight games this year. King's, one of the great nurseries of Australian Rugby, is one from eight. And Joey's, the great nursery of Australian Rugby, leaked 54 points on the weekend.

All of this seems to produce a result that nobody (except, maybe, Scots) likes. Even after two schools have been relegated to the Thirds, this is still a grotesquely mismatched competition. And Newington has assembled a team consisting almost entirely of representative players, whom nobody at the school seems to want to watch.

It's easy, and perhaps comforting, to say that tradition requires that all these schools continue to play together and that the cycle will turn in time. Those are cosy excuses for doing nothing. But wouldn't it be nice for the headmasters (or sportsmasters) to get together, talk openly about how and why they approach the game in the way they do, and try to find some constructive change?

Its not all about rugby, a major block for the joining of competions is the other GPS sports, i.e. rowing, that are not participated in by other school associations such as CAS

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
There is the ARU two year window policy for Age group footy, which allows for Under 16's to play in open schoolboy (U18) footy, provided there is parental/guardian consent and the boy has been assessed by a ARU Level 2 Coach.

Pretty sure that three years up is specifically excluded in that policy. I may need to check it again. It is on the ARU website.

I'd be very surprised if a 14 year old boy could foot it with 18 year olds, even if he is a "early developer". A lot of the game is about mental maturity as well as physical size.

After seeing him play against New, he definitely had the size factor and looked quite composed at inside centre

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Its not all about rugby, a major block for the joining of competions is the other GPS sports, i.e. rowing, that are not participated in by other school associations such as CAS
They could enter their firsts and seconds in another comp and threes and below in the GPS comp!
I am sure they would be welcomed into the fold,even if they chose only to play rugby.
Edit: But they won't, the major block from their moving is "their brand" once they are not exclusive to the GPS, their market perception would suffer.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Whilst I do agree with what most people are saying about the behaviour of Scots and Newington, I also believe this will not be the case next year. Riverview and Joeys will be the two powerhouses next year with the bulk of both sides being at the school since year 7. Newington will be the cellar dwellers next year but along with Shore will
be competitive with the top sides. I really hope the 2014 is as close as I think it will be and that the trend continues for the years that follow.

And you'll be surprised to know that 1/3 of the Newington 1st XV will be back next year to maybe touch up Joeys and Riverview.

Greg Robinson

Bob McCowan (2)
Ive heard that this 15 yo he came into the team due to an injury to the previous 12. When will the previous 12 be returning and when he does will this 15yo stay in the team?

thethirteenthcoming

Frank Row (1)
I'd like to think that the fact the GPS schools have tried something new this season with the 3rd comp etc is in fact the beginning of an effort to produce a competition that ALL schools can participate in equally.

But it does concern me that the same problems have been moved to a different set of kids. The 3rd's comp itself seems to be going ok, but in the lower age groups the insertion of A grade sides from SBH, TAS and SGS into the C grade comps have created the exact reverse of the problem they were trying to solve. Big lop-sided scorelines where one team gets belted.

Some big wins by these schools A teams over their C grade opponents has finally gone full circle where i heard on the weekend that Shore C's forfeited against SBH A's in the U13's and U14's. Correct me if i am wrong but isn't this the reverse situation that the GPS was trying to fix when SBH etc were forfeiting?

End result is both teams miss out on playing and no-one wins - but massively lop-sides scores help no-one's rugby either. The MIC of rugby at these schools needs to "grade" each age group individually and make sure we are avoiding this situation in the future. For example, take the SGS U15A's - they are one of the best sides coming thru that school and could compete in the A comp quite easily instead of belting C grade teams and the occasional B grade side (they beat Shore B's by about 40 last weekend, even without their No. 10 who's been moved up to the 1st XV).

The fact that SBH, SGS and TAS are now viewed as being competitive in rugby again under this structure is quite unfair on the C and F grade teams they are pitted against - and remember these C grade players and their paying parents deserve a decent competition as much as the A graders.

Would the GPS ever consider of having SHS/SGS/TAS teams to play school's 'B' teams?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Would the GPS ever consider of having SHS/SGS/TAS teams to play school's 'B' teams?

Years ago Grammar used the TAS front row and, IIRC, TAS played 2nds in Grammar's place.
I'm not entirely against the idea but it would cause the loss of one of the cardinal purposes of school sport: namely, to learn to cope with the inevitable weakness in a team put together entirely by coincidence, to cover those weaknesses as best you can and to work, truly, as a team for the good of the team without recrimination, knowing that the weakest player tried his hardest for the good of the team just as the best player did.

Theking12

Stan Wickham (3)
Whilst I do agree with what most people are saying about the behaviour of Scots and Newington, I also believe this will not be the case next year. Riverview and Joeys will be the two powerhouses next year with the bulk of both sides being at the school since year 7. Newington will be the cellar dwellers next year but along with Shore will
be competitive with the top sides. I really hope the 2014 is as close as I think it will be and that the trend continues for the years that follow.

I feel that the boys from stanmore will still be a great opponent and give joeys and view a run for their money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Kendrick Lamar

Bob McCowan (2)
Would you care to review your statement? Reviewing your posting history, I'd beg to differ.

Issue praise by all means, but be aware that there is very little point in talking up boys on these threads.

If the selectors browse what is on here, it is seldom reflected at selection times.

It can be rather embarrassing for the boy in question to read so much love and hyperbole, and a little unbecoming if you are related to the lad, or a good mate.

If your posts are to be believed, then I am surprised that the lad hasn't been called up by Link to solve all the Wobs issues.

Kendrick Lamar

Bob McCowan (2)
Would you care to review your statement? Reviewing your posting history, I'd beg to differ.

Issue praise by all means, but be aware that there is very little point in talking up boys on these threads.

If the selectors browse what is on here, it is seldom reflected at selection times.

It can be rather embarrassing for the boy in question to read so much love and hyperbole, and a little unbecoming if you are related to the lad, or a good mate.

If your posts are to be believed, then I am surprised that the lad hasn't been called up by Link to solve all the Wobs issues.

Im not talking any body up at all i was just curious what people thought about this young kid because he is a very good player and no one else ever sees it! i am not talking him up any one at the Scots game on the weekend would of seen what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom