• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
"and if the 16As beat Scots, they will be outright winners in that comp or joint winners (maybe ahead on points). 16Bs are leading their comp (if not undefeated) and I heard the 15As are tracking well after a slow start"

Kings 16A's won comfortably at View, although conditions were far from comfortable at 30 plus degrees! Any word on the Joey's v Scots 16A's clash?
Scots 16a"s scored on the bell to win 28-26.

john cena

Frank Row (1)
Firstly I am happy to be wrong. I have no allegiance to any of these teams, just enjoy watching.

Riverview I think are an improving team, and have improved all season. They are a young team overall and I think the two rounds has helped their development. Overall they have also been pretty disciplined (with a couple of notable exceptions!). I have watched 2 Kings games and feel their big wins have generally been on days when they have turned up, and the opposition hasn't. Hence some excellent results which in my mind provide overburden to what IMO is a fairly average Kings team. Their discipline / mentality in the first NEW game was terrible, especially from the backs.

Also beating Joeys this year has not been the achievement it has been in the past. I think Kings is resting on this. Whilst I will might get nailed for this I reckon this is the first Joeys team I have seen that at times seem to give up / run out of ideas. Not a normal Joeys characteristic. I actually felt NEW did the same against Scots in the first game at Stanmore and Kings did this in their first game against NEW..especially re running out of ideas.

I haven't seen Riverview do this and with plenty of boys returning next year I think they will be very up for it. There's my wacky reasoning!

i guess you could say view didn't turn up then.

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
Great to see Scots get up for a joint premiership - joeys should be very proud of their effort today they played with their hearts on their sleeves, they were in the game the entire time and dominated possession - they should all be very proud of they way they finished their season today.......... a thrilling final game !!!

jockmac

Frank Row (1)
From The Past 3-4 Rounds, Do you think any Player from any school deserved a spot in representative team now that the season is over this includes, GPS, NSW, Aust Schoolboys.

King's Finishing 3rd, a commendable effort could be die to there inside centre Will Davies, who due to injury did not play much game time earlier this year? But played very well in his past 3 outings. Any other players similar to this?

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
From The Past 3-4 Rounds, Do you think any Player from any school deserved a spot in representative team now that the season is over this includes, GPS, NSW, Aust Schoolboys.

King's Finishing 3rd, a commendable effort could be die to there inside centre Will Davies, who due to injury did not play much game time earlier this year? But played very well in his past 3 outings. Any other players similar to this?

Are you sure kings finish 3rd? riverview won 5 and kings won 4 from my memory ?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I tend to agree with you.

I think that Shore will struggle to hold Newington at Stanmore, despite the undoubted effort that Shore will put in. Everything points to a similar result at Bellevue Hill, although I'd never underestimate a Joeys team with their backs to the wall. Kings are finishing with a wet sail and Riverview have been weakened by injury. The boys from Parramatta could well pull this one off and finish the season on a high.

;)

thethirteenthcoming

Frank Row (1)

I believe View finished 3rd with 5 wins (Beating Kings Once, Joeys Twice and Shore Twice) and Kings finished 4th with 4 wins (View Once, Joeys Once, Shore Twice)

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
"and if the 16As beat Scots, they will be outright winners in that comp or joint winners (maybe ahead on points). 16Bs are leading their comp (if not undefeated) and I heard the 15As are tracking well after a slow start"

Kings 16A's won comfortably at View, although conditions were far from comfortable at 30 plus degrees! Any word on the Joey's v Scots 16A's clash?

Scots won 28-26 well after the bell after being behind 26-14 with less than 2mins to go. Joeys had a chance to secure victory winning turnover ball (with entire team in the ruck) only for the half to throw the ball out instead of kicking it out, incurring a penalty (the half was obviously oblivious to the relevant Law and has never read G&GR re the Waverley 1sts half doing exactly the same thing resulting in a Barker win). From the ensuing phases Scots scored adjacent to the sticks and converted to win.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Scots won 28-26 well after the bell after being behind 26-14 with less than 2mins to go. Joeys had a chance to secure victory winning turnover ball (with entire team in the ruck) only for the half to throw the ball out instead of kicking it out, incurring a penalty (the half was obviously oblivious to the relevant Law and has never read G&GR re the Waverley 1sts half doing exactly the same thing resulting in a Barker win). From the ensuing phases Scots scored adjacent to the sticks and converted to win.

It was actually the five eight and not the half. Either way a deserved 3 way premiership in the 16s. Joeys, Scots and Kings will looking good for the next 2 years.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
When was the last time all 9 GPS schools played in the 1st XV comp? And is there any sport (summer or winter) where all 9 schools compete each weekend ie not including the Swimming Carnival or Aths Carnival

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
When was the last time all 9 GPS schools played in the 1st XV comp? And is there any sport (summer or winter) where all 9 schools compete each weekend ie not including the Swimming Carnival or Aths Carnival

If my memory serves me correctly, TAS played in the First XV comp for some two years (1963 and 1964?), but this proved too complicated for some of the Sydney schools to manage and TAS was dropped. To my knowledge, Rugby is the only sport where TAS competes on a weekly basis.

Distance is the problem. Up to the early fifties, bad roads made for a very long road trip; train was the main transport vehicle until quite recently. You can't put hundreds of boys on aeroplanes each weekend! Things are a little easier now with better roads and buses

When I played in Sydney on the occasional school visit with the seconds we went by train. By contrast, playing in Toowoomba or Warwick we went by bus. And bloody uncomfortable it was too!

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
Does anyone have stats on number of games won by school? perhaps i would cut the data to include Firsts to Fourths and A's to D's for each age group. For joeys, riverview, scots, newington, kings, shore.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If my memory serves me correctly, TAS played in the First XV comp for some two years (1963 and 1964?), but this proved too complicated for some of the Sydney schools to manage and TAS was dropped. To my knowledge, Rugby is the only sport where TAS competes on a weekly basis.

Distance is the problem. Up to the early fifties, bad roads made for a very long road trip; train was the main transport vehicle until quite recently. You can't put hundreds of boys on aeroplanes each weekend! Things are a little easier now with better roads and buses

When I played in Sydney on the occasional school visit with the seconds we went by train. By contrast, playing in Toowoomba or Warwick we went by bus. And bloody uncomfortable it was too!
The inclusion of TAS this year has been fantastic IMO. They seemed to receive the scores from other grounds just after full-time and with the news they had won prompted a nice little celebration. You could tell it meant a lot to them and they had achieved something.

Judging by the number of TAS boys who walked past me with roll up mattresses and sleeping bags, they either came down Friday night or were going back this morning.

I think in a previous post, you also thought that TAS would be able to compete in 2nds rather than 3rds. From what I saw yesterday, TAS were certainly of the same standard as Newington and Shore 2nds. Look forward to seeing TAS back again next year:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wow ! These are the sort of things that Joeys used to inflict on the opposition.

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)
It was actually the five eight and not the half. Either way a deserved 3 way premiership in the 16s. Joeys, Scots and Kings will looking good for the next 2 years.

I think the Joeys 16s were very unlucky this comp being 8/8 with two rounds to go and then having three core players (i.e. being part of team for 4 yrs) bumped up to 2nds.

The team played exceptionally well despite not having these 5 players (Finnane, Horton , Wright - 2nds and King and Streeter injured).

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)

Well Done to your boys JB! Enjoy! The celebration at Stanmore on hearing the result from View vs. Joeys was fantastic! Cheers, Wreckless :)

squealer

Frank Row (1)
Congrats to Scots and New on their joint premiership in the 1sts. They were the best 2 teams all season and it seems a fair result.

Observations from the Scots v Joeys match yesterday:
Joeys dominated territory and possession for large parts of the game. Deegan played with skill, creativity and a huge heart and guided his team around well but the boys from Hunters Hill lacked the firepower out wide to convert their dominance (unusual for Joeys historically). Scots on the other hand were strong where Joeys were not. Kellaway was simply outstanding in his last game for Scots (having played about 24 GPS games for the blue and golds... what a rugby player). Some of his tries over the last 3 years will live long in the memory. I hope we see him in future rep teams (on the wing is my prediction). The final score of 43-18 was flattering to Scots but the win was nevertheless well deserved. It was refreshing to see players from both teams chance their arm from anywhere on the field. Schoolboy rugby is still the best form of rugby without a shadow of a doubt. The passion and atmosphere at Bellevue Hill matched the sparkling weather.

Here's my 3,2,1 for the day...
3: Kellaway (a fitting finish), 2: Deegan (tough kid), 1: Dunbar (captain's knock)

Status
Not open for further replies.