• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
New were ordinary except for the last 15 mins. They are a much better team than that but just aren't getting it together. SGS had good structure and sent the ball to the right spots, a smart side. While they were the much better team (as were SBS last week) forward packs seems to have free reign in the rucks. Lots of unpenalised hand and playing the ball off the feet.

The SGS 2nd VX v New 4ths was a terrific game. SGS won 10-0 but it was very enjoyable and some great efforts put in from both sides.

any forwards stand out in the seconds? I have concerns about Grammars depth beyond a 1sts pack that has seemed quite injury prone.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
No standouts that I can remember, but the SGS coach rotated well and it was a great battle between the New and SGS forwards. SGS 2nds did struggle with the scrums at times

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
The games I've seen this season of the Grammar 2nds they've tended to struggle at the set piece, which is strange considering the set piece dominance of the 1sts.

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
Were you too busy studying for your trials next week to turn up?
Grammar subbed 5 players off in the last quarter to address your depth concerns.
I question whether those subs would have been made if Grammar hadn't been up 40 points.
There is no shortage of backline depth but I'm willing to bet not many of those subs were forwards, but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Student enrolments added (source myschool.edu.au).

Anyone have a breakdown of the K-6 enrolment numbers at K, E, S, N, and A, and the 5-6 enrolment at I?

Edit: New figure adjusted based on feedback below.

I don't have exact numbers for TAS. The 588 includes some twenty girls! The junior school is co-ed.

Unlike some of the Sydney schools, TAS's total student number have not increased over the last few years. So far as day boys are concerned, Armidale has two high schools plus a Catholic co-ed school, four options for secondary boys in a city of c. 23,000 people. Girls have five choices. Primary school kids have some eleven choices. That's a lot of competition.

While the number of boarders is down about a third from the peak when I was at the school (I was one of the then rare day boys), the school stabilized the fall; there are currently some 200 boarders.

Boarding remains very important to TAS as a possible growth market, as part of the school tradition and in supporting the school's quite remarkable infrastructure. But from a Rugby perspective, it's not going to generate the numbers required to allow the school to compete easily on a playing field set by Sydney schools who have increased numbers in recent years by more than TAS's total enrollments.

For the life of me, I can't see why a parent would want to send their kid to a school of 1800. That's a sausage factory! Still, that's a personal prejudice that has nothing to do with the impact of demographics on Rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I question whether those subs would have been made if Grammar hadn't been up 40 points.
There is no shortage of backline depth but I'm willing to bet not many of those subs were forwards, but would be happy to be proved wrong.
You have an odd view of what constitutes depth.
The gap bettwen 1 and 2s in all but one position is huge.
You should stop studying and play: fastest growing sport at the school!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting build up to next weeks riverview versus scots top of the table clash.

Scots on fire and view maybe not firing on all cylinders?!

Scots looking unbeatable and it strikes me that a fair number of the view boys are more focused on their HSC ... So while I know the talk often turns to scholarships, as soon as scots do well ... However the make -up of a team (demographics?) can have a bearing.

I could be wrong here but certainly some of the scots boys, for one reason or another, aren't sweating on atars

Either way I think the differences in the gps schools is what makes it interesting .... Getting too regimented on numbers of scholarships, doesn't seem practical

These things will ebb and flow, and my attitude is that you can get as much out of a loss as a win ... Even if it is a flogging

Sounds like newington results weren't great today across the age groups ... They seem to have fallen in a hole ...

Again ebb and flow ... And joeys seem to be turning around their season ... So the following week will also hold some interest ...

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Inside shoulder you always like to lock horns ...yet you have so many likes?!

Oh well everyone entitled to their "rubbish' opinion ... And yes you got a response ... Happy now?!

I know some kids on sports scholarships (not just at scots)and feel sorry for the Spanish Inquisition ...

Anyway more interested in footy talk ...next week will be interesting, one way or another

rugbycheersquad

Frank Nicholson (4)
After the last two years I am unsure how to feel about this result.

I think I can help you on that. You are a teacher and/or a coach so you will understand that, regardless of what you think of the school and what has previously passed, the kids on the receiving end of that drubbing are just rather nice boys who are doing their best. And no, I am not the mother or father of any of them.

V

Vindíctam

I think I can help you on that. You are a teacher and/or a coach so you will understand that, regardless of what you think of the school and what has previously passed, the kids on the receiving end of that drubbing are just rather nice boys who are doing their best. And no, I am not the mother or father of any of them.

Thank you for your thoughts. As a parent of a child who has been on the end of such results the most important question I always my son is, "what do you want to eat?". A pie solves many a poor result.

V

Vindíctam

TSC V Joeys 3rds referee.

Darren Cobcroft today (as per the SJRU appointments roster) sent 5 Joeys players to the bin. When he referred this as a trial game few weeks earlier he sent 4 Joeys boys to the bin and sent off one Joeys boy. In both games not one TSC player was sanctioned with a card.

Status
Not open for further replies.