• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Concussion guidelines in regards of returning to play:

GRADUATED RETURN TO PLAY

All players diagnosed with a concussion must go through a graduated return to play (GRTP) program.

The IRB acknowledges, as per Zurich 2012, that younger athletes who sustain a concussion
should be managed more conservatively. The IRB recommends different minimum rest periods and different length GRTP stages for differing age groups - protecting our young athletes.

These recommendations are outlined the IRB Age Specific Concussion Return to Play
Protocols
U/6 - U/15 - Players 15 years and under
• Minimum rest period 2 weeks and symptom free
• GRTP to follow rest, with each stage lasting 48 hours
• Earliest return to play - Day 23 post injury

U/16 - U/19 - Players 16, 17 and 18 years of age
• Minimum rest period 1 week and symptom free
• GRTP to follow rest, with each stage lasting 24 hours
• Earliest return to play - Day 12 post injury
INTERNALRUGBYBOARD Puttingplayers
Adolescents and children 18 years and under, MUST NOT return to play without clearance from a medical practitioner or approved healthcare practitioner.

And you would hope it was a medical practitioner that was completely independent of the school!
My god, with all we know about concussions these days, surely no one would expect him to be back for at least 3 weeks. You only get one brain for a lifetime! To miss a few school games will mean nothing in a few years, brain damage on the other hand ......

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And you would hope it was a medical practitioner that was completely independent of the school!
My god, with all we know about concussions these days, surely no one would expect him to be back for at least 3 weeks. You only get one brain for a lifetime! To miss a few school games will mean nothing in a few years, brain damage on the other hand ..
You don't understand:
Pound for pound the hardest running and toughest kid in the team ... He'll be terrorising joeys next week like he did in round 1 ...
That's all that matters!

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
You don't understand:

That's all that matters!

Of course safety is paramount ...... IS do you really think that you are better qualified to determine if he did have concussion than the medico on the field who assessed him ? Clearly he was okay or he would not have been allowed to play on ......

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Clearly he wasn't.
From the footage available, he had obviously suffered a brain trauma to some extent. When a player clearly can't demonstrate balance and hold their feet, they have suffered a concussion, possibly not a complex concussion, but a concussion none the less. Even if the school and coaches place winning above safety, the parents need to step up and give a week out fir assessment. Given most Scots supporters on this thread thunk that they will beat everyone by 50+, then surely they can do without him for a week.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Of course safety is paramount .. IS do you really think that you are better qualified to determine if he did have concussion than the medico on the field who assessed him ? Clearly he was okay or he would not have been allowed to play on ..

Have another schooner of TSC kool aid.
That was not my point in quoting you. Did you give any thought to his long term welfare or just next week?

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can somebody refresh me -what are the replacement rules at GPS 1st VV level when a player is not injured.Maybe I should rephrase this to simply ask: what are the replacement rules during such a game?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Can somebody refresh me -what are the replacement rules at GPS 1st VV level when a player is not injured.Maybe I should rephrase this to simply ask: what are the replacement rules during such a game?

I'm pretty sure you can make as many changes as you want but you can only name 15 players. So all replacements must come from the 2nd XV or have played in another game prior (maybe 16As as well)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
O’Driscoll still vehemently insists — as he has always done — that the policy should be zero tolerance. Nothing else. That if a player is recognised as showing concussion symptoms he is taken off and that’s it.
No second chance because a five-minute or the soon-to-be 10-minute check is, in his belief, simply not sufficient when dealing with the grey matter of a brain injury.
‘There needs to be zero tolerance on this, not varying degrees if you show signs you are concussed. Pure and simple,’ he insisted. ‘Doing a five-minute or a 10-minute assessment, it becomes completely arbitrary. The IRB have confused and trivialised concussion.
‘The experts still don’t know exactly the full significance of concussion but every bit of research that is coming out is really bad news.
‘There can be no messing about with the brain.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/concussion/article-2642211/Brian-ODriscolls-doctor-uncle-blasts-IRB-concussion-rules-Florian-Fritz-injury.html#ixzz39Vd6DR6g
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
O’Driscoll still vehemently insists — as he has always done — that the policy should be zero tolerance. Nothing else. That if a player is recognised as showing concussion symptoms he is taken off and that’s it.
No second chance because a five-minute or the soon-to-be 10-minute check is, in his belief, simply not sufficient when dealing with the grey matter of a brain injury.
‘There needs to be zero tolerance on this, not varying degrees if you show signs you are concussed. Pure and simple,’ he insisted. ‘Doing a five-minute or a 10-minute assessment, it becomes completely arbitrary. The IRB have confused and trivialised concussion.
‘The experts still don’t know exactly the full significance of concussion but every bit of research that is coming out is really bad news.
‘There can be no messing about with the brain.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/concussion/article-2642211/Brian-ODriscolls-doctor-uncle-blasts-IRB-concussion-rules-Florian-Fritz-injury.html#ixzz39Vd6DR6g
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That young fellow they are speaking of was certainly very punch drunk in plain site for a while then he seemed to come back like there was nothing wrong but he did get consistently smashed as very well marked during the game.

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
Dear IS, I think hes the same Charlie Smith that represented NSW U15 last year via Mosman and North Sydney Reps. If so that makes him year 10 as a forward this year.If so when was the last forward in year 10 at any GPS school? A mighty achievement that has been overlooked in all this.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Dear IS, I think hes the same Charlie Smith that represented NSW U15 last year via Mosman and North Sydney Reps. If so that makes him year 10 as a forward this year.If so when was the last forward in year 10 at any GPS school? A mighty achievement that has been overlooked in all this.
He's in year 11. He's young but he's in year 11. Same as L Lough from St Augustine's and others less well known.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)

He's year 11 underage. But since you asked Matt Sandell from Joeys played 1st in year 10 in 2011

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)

Jum Woodhill also played at openside for Shore in 2012

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

IIRC Curtis Browning played Australian Schoolboys when in Year 10, so making the school 1st XV is not quite as remarkable.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dear IS, I think he's the same Charlie Smith that represented NSW U15 last year via Mosman and North Sydney Reps. If so that makes him year 10 as a forward this year.If so when was the last forward in year 10 at any GPS school? A mighty achievement that has been overlooked in all this.

He is a small fellow, relatively speaking, either that or the Redhead being embraced must be a massive lad. Smith must play like a real honey badger given his size limitations.
http://resources1.news.com.au/image...2845-b1071500-1a37-11e4-8adb-938012f29f27.jpg
242845-b1071500-1a37-11e4-8adb-938012f29f27.jpg

Another thread has identified this lad as being an ex Waverley Prep boy (ie from the Latte Sipping Eastern Suburbs). I assume that his junior village club footy must have been with Bays or Wallaroos (Easts).

How does he end up playing U15's with Mosman and Northern Suburbs? SJRU competition rules seem to indicate that players must seek to register with a club in the district that they reside.

Year 10 1st XV - Hosea Fotokava (I).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How does he end up playing U15's with Mosman and Northern Suburbs? SJRU competition rules seem to indicate that players must seek to register with a club in the district that they reside.

Year 10 1st XV - Hosea Fotokava (I).

He played Wallaroos.
They folded after 14s and as with a couple of other kids in that team he went to Mosman.

Status
Not open for further replies.