• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If the selectors have two players of similar ilk for the same position, they will go with the more "easily coached" kid every time. A kid that WANTS to be there, rather thinking they DESERVE to be there.
Therefore certain players shall not be in the 1's. And those that get picked in the lower GPS sides go and see their pysch's re anger management issues

And get picked for Aus Schools - Deegan was in GPS IIs last year I noticed - and I'm not meaning to suggest he has any attitude issues

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
And get picked for Aus Schools - Deegan was in GPS IIs last year I noticed - and I'm not meaning to suggest he has any attitude issues
Last year Hutchison I think was selected in GPS 3's or 2's originally and then got a call up because of boys withdrawing due to injury.. I suspect that the selectors higher up are assessing constantly and are not overly swayed by the politics of GPS or CAS selections etc. that means they would have already sighted Deegan and had him in their thoughts. It's great to sense that the selectors will pick who they see as best performed, not just follow some one else's selections.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that the Selectors do not read the banter on here, and, if they do, there is ample evidence to confirm that it does not sway their eventual selections.

Despite this some players fan clubs carry on like it is essential to have <insert player name> mentioned on G&GR as many times as possible, and the more mentions the greater the chance of <insert player name> being selected.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I'm pretty sure that the Selectors do not read the banter on here, and, if they do, there is ample evidence to confirm that it does not sway their evenual selections.

Despite this some players fan clubs carry on like it is essential to have <insert player name> mentioned on G&GR as many times as possible, and the more mentions the greater the chance of <insert player name> being selected.
True. Sadly on this forum there are a few who seek to promote some by aggressively bagging others. In the end, these boys are thankfully just playing the the game they love to the best of their ability. If they are good enough in the eyes of those who make the calls then fantastic, if they're aren't then thats fine as well so long as they just keep on playing for the enjoyment of the game. i would rather see the commentary be positive and constructive rather than the ever too destructive tone some take. After all they are just young men, not getting paid, doing their best. There hasn't even been a ball kicked in anger yet.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can't wait for the season to just start. People are getting quite edgy as you read through. Reputations will pick two thirds of GPS 1sts and 2nds. Couple of young bolters will spring up and the rest usually come from whatever teams are dominating at the time of selection, causing some talented unsung players to miss out.

Dr.AbsXI

Stan Wickham (3)
Can't wait for the season to just start. People are getting quite edgy as you read through. Reputations will pick two thirds of GPS 1sts and 2nds. Couple of young bolters will spring up and the rest usually come from whatever teams are dominating at the time of selection, causing some talented unsung players to miss out.

Happens every year mate

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
How do selectors know about a kids attitude, if they have never laid eyes on him before they select him?
Remembering the team is announced after just one or two rounds.
To quote a wise man... I f you believe that, you should not be allowed out unsupervised :) ;) ;)
The selectors have already been informed within an inch about these kids, if they haven't already seen them at the koala club, Country champs etc. These guys have impeccable feedlines from their respective "scouts". When it comes to players the selectors will look at them and also the outside influences. 2 games is just to make sure they aren't myths

MEAT HEAD

Frank Row (1)
For those interested Kings 1st team lacking four athletes took on Sydney Uni 2nd grade cults, and won in a tight 17 - 12 game. It was mainly a forwards game with the backs hitting their straps late in the second half. Chris Orpen and La Ferla the stars of the night. Tries going James King, and Jake La Ferla with Chris kicking 2 conversions and a penalty. For a squad without their athletes they are looking very competitive

Simon Sayz

Frank Row (1)
For those interested Kings 1st team lacking four athletes took on Sydney Uni 2nd grade cults, and won in a tight 17 - 12 game. It was mainly a forwards game with the backs hitting their straps late in the second half. Chris Orpen and La Ferla the stars of the night. Tries going James King, and Jake La Ferla with Chris kicking 2 conversions and a penalty. For a squad without their athletes they are looking very competitive

Intresting Result - Look forward to seeing a team list for kings to play against Stannies with the athletes Yates, Taylor and Kane to come back into the team.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When did Kings 1st team play Uni Colts 2's?

Uni Colts2's have a strong playing roster, and have only lost one game in their division this year.

There is nothing about that game on the Colts thread which surprises me a little.

I would have thought that persons not aligned to the Camperdown Corporation (and there are a few of them) would take schadenfreude in reporting on their rockstars getting beaten by an under strength team of schoolkids.

Big Fella

Bob McCowan (2)
When did Kings 1st team play Uni Colts 2's?

Uni Colts2's have a strong playing roster, and have only lost one game in their division this year.

There is nothing about that game on the Colts thread which surprises me a little.

I would have thought that persons not aligned to the Camperdown Corporation (and there are a few of them) would take schadenfreude in reporting on their rockstars getting beaten by an under strength team of schoolkids.

Yesterday afternoon

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Uni are up against Gordon this weekend, and Gordon don't have a Colts3 Team, so I think the game yesterday may have been against Uni 3rds not the 2's. Regardless, the Uni 3rds are doing reasonably well in their competition (unbeaten so far IIRC), so it would be a good effort by the Kings Men to get up against them.

Big Fella

Bob McCowan (2)
Uni are up against Gordon this weekend, and Gordon don't have a Colts3 Team, so I think the game yesterday may have been against Uni 3rds not the 2's. Regardless, the Uni 3rds are doing reasonably well in their competition (unbeaten so far IIRC), so it would be a good effort by the Kings Men to get up against them.
Sorry I can't confirm which team.

Dr.AbsXI

Stan Wickham (3)
I will be interested to hear how some of the rugby playing athletes will perform tomorrow. I will be keen to know how some of the explosive outside backs stack up against each other, with the likes of Cohen, Hutchison, Yates, Kane, Reneker, McCutcheon etc. all on show.

Perhaps it will give us an indication of the season ahead? Thoughts?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I will be interested to hear how some of the rugby playing athletes will perform tomorrow. I will be keen to know how some of the explosive outside backs stack up against each other, with the likes of Cohen, Hutchison, Yates, Kane, Reneker, McCutcheon etc. all on show.

Perhaps it will give us an indication of the season ahead? Thoughts?

Hutchison set a record for 100 m U17s

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
SIC, I think.
Good day for Riverview, 1st in seniors, 2nd intermediate and 3rd juniors. I think kings may have won intermediate and juniors, with joeys a big improver coming 2nd in the seniors. But I must say congratulations to TAS who send a small squad of boys down each year and just give it their best, with little reward other than the experience of contributing to an event that is now it's 119th championship. A great day in the school sporting calendar with so many quality athletes from all schools on display.

Status
Not open for further replies.