• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
16As and 14As to Augs, 15As to View, haven't heard about 13As. Fromm all reports a great day of schoolboy rugby, no refereeing controversies and no foul play.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But he's too small at 80 kgs.
That's why he caught my eye at the athletics - I'd read the big wraps: and he must have played when I was at the ground but didn't pay much attention. And then I saw him and I thought - where is the kid going to play as an adult?

Dad's a 6'4" ex 2nd rower so he doesn't appear to have inherited any of that. Without a growth spurt, it's difficult to see him playing anything other than 9 or 10. (There's always exceptions to the rule and at junior level his speed, skill and strength do the job more than adequately)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Riverview 1sts 25 def. St Augustine's 1sts 14
Riverview 2nds 19 def. St Augustine's 2nds 7

Augustines have had an NZ tour and a couple of trials, while View have been restricted by rowing and athletics. These are good results for View and suggest a good season ahead.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
How did the St Augustine 12 go?

He played quite well, has a lot of ability. Their whole backline is slowed by the 10. Doesn't seem up to it and physically couldn't cope.

The view hooker plays like a good openside.... His throwing wasn't great.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
How did the St Augustine 12 go?
12. Luke Lough and elder brother 8. James Lough were two of Saints' best.

Without a growth spurt, it's difficult to see him playing anything other than 9 or 10. (There's always exceptions to the rule and at junior level his speed, skill and strength do the job more than adequately)

Difficult but possible. He will be one of the exceptions. Again, I quote the JOC (James O'Connor) example and he's a harder and more effective tackler than JOC (James O'Connor) was at the same age.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Their whole backline is slowed by the 10. Doesn't seem up to it and physically couldn't cope.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It was only a trial and he was promoted for this game.

He lacked a bit of deception and just kept dishing the ball out, but he showed his promise at the end of the game when he ran with the ball.

Defenders drifted off him and he got Saints into position to score their second try.

He also scored their first try supporting the ball carrier and taking the popped pass.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Dad's a 6'4" ex 2nd rower so he doesn't appear to have inherited any of that. Without a growth spurt, it's difficult to see him playing anything other than 9 or 10. (There's always exceptions to the rule and at junior level his speed, skill and strength do the job more than adequately)

However, HH's Mum's diminutive. IMO he'll be an exceptional 10 at senior level, very smart and very strong. This year I'd like to see View use him more at 12.

As LG rightly says "he will be too rugby-smart and rugby-useful to be parked" out on the wing as his post school career develops.

But let's not wish his life away and let's remember what thread we're in. Just as some fondly reminisced a few pages back as to Beale's schoolboy exploits, barring injuries, Hutchison will continue to produce weekly highlight reels.

No, I'm not related to him. I've enjoyed watching him since the U14s state champs. Yes, I'm a big fan.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
However, HH's Mum's diminutive. IMO he'll be an exceptional 10 at senior level, very smart and very strong. This year I'd like to see View use him more at 12.

As LG rightly says "he will be too rugby-smart and rugby-useful to be parked" out on the wing as his post school career develops.

But let's not wish his life away and let's remember what thread we're in. Just as some fondly reminisced a few pages back as to Beale's schoolboy exploits, barring injuries, Hutchison will continue to produce weekly highlight reels.

No, I'm not related to him. I've enjoyed watching him since the U14s state champs. Yes, I'm a big fan.

with you there...quality and always the talking point at junior levels...ie who we putting on him....10.69 over 100m ? has got plenty of skill as well and hard as nails....where's the debate?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The debate is really about well-meaning comments from people who haven't seen him play, or have, but very little—responded to by those who have seen him play a lot.

One side of the debate has knowledge about him.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The debate is really about well-meaning comments from people who haven't seen him play, or have, but very little—responded to by those who have seen him play a lot.

One side of the debate has knowledge about him.

There isn't really a debate is there, just observations.

And we won't know the answer for 2-3 or up to 5 years.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow , the much trumpeted joeys group (with athletes on deck), only just snuck home .... While the 2nds put on 70 points .

.. Might be some selection issues that need to be sorted out .... And quickly as round 1 versus scots, is only 2 weeks away

Any suggestions, lee grant, (?) on 2nds players who might be pushing for a promotion

Altgh LG doesn't tend to depart from the house view ... Presumably as a known man

In junior gps news:

One to watch this year from scots is charlie savala ... Scots play this 14a v 15a trial , and charlie was very strong in midfield ...
... And could easily play up an age group based on that performance

Scots might be able to turn the tables on a strong newington 14as in 2014

In the main game: Looks like riverview firming as favorites for 2014, imho

H

harrysboy

Did Shore play a trial match yesterday? If so, does anyone have any match reviews for 1sts and 2nds?

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My point is more along the lines that I know some of the Auggies boys and they really covet taking a GPS scalp, so they will be very pumped. Riverview will certainly be playing to win, but it's realistically their first sanctioned hit out with the aths boys playing, and therefore they are still sorting out a couple of positions. No doubt they will give it 100% and there won't be any excuses either way.
Your boy played well. Congrats. Using your big boys v well but your scrum was a shocker. Best of luck for the season. I'll be backing them

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Wow , the much trumpeted joeys group (with athletes on deck), only just snuck home .. While the 2nds put on 70 points .

.. Might be some selection issues that need to be sorted out .. And quickly as round 1 versus scots, is only 2 weeks away

Any suggestions, lee grant, (?) on 2nds players who might be pushing for a promotion

Altgh LG doesn't tend to depart from the house view . Presumably as a known man

In junior gps news:

One to watch this year from scots is charlie savala . Scots play this 14a v 15a trial , and charlie was very strong in midfield .
. And could easily play up an age group based on that performance

Scots might be able to turn the tables on a strong newington 14as in 2014

In the main game: Looks like riverview firming as favorites for 2014, imho

Comparing the Oakhill 1sts to their 2nds is pointless. It was like a 4ths team frankly. The point is they toughed it out and won.

Could be a couple of changes but nothing major - boys just lacked execution and player combinations were rusty- bit harsh on those just back to the team with many of them playing their first game for almost 8 months.

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
any word on grammar-pats? I managed to catch the thirds putting 50 points or so on the boys from strathfield, did the 1sts and 2nds have similar luck?

F

fireball

Not wholesale changes at joeys but a couple didn't aim up. There are probably two backs and one forward who would be very lucky to hold their spots. Their seconds counterparts are just better options.

Status
Not open for further replies.