• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
There is still a long way to go in this years competition. Joeys will bounce back. I thought Joeys were a little unlucky last year with a few key decisions going against them. For example I thought they were unlucky to lose to Scots at home. If they had won that one, who knows what momentum this would have created for the rest of their season.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
not sure of the Glengary effect?
50% of Year 9 go down to Glengarry in each semester, affecting both under 14s and under 15s during summer and winter sports. Rugby in both age groups probably loose 2 teams worth of players.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
not sure of the Glengary effect?
50% of Year 9 go down to Glengarry in each semester, affecting both under 14s and under 15s during summer and winter sports. Rugby in both age groups probably loose 2 teams worth of players.
Proportionally more under 15's than 14's. If you loose half your player pool it is going to have a significant effect.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's hard to argue against the results of joeys rugby program. It has shown depth well beyond any other school in living memory. The obvious question is what is happening at the 1st XV level. I hear that the 2013 yr 12, was the first year to go right through joeys and not see the school 1sts win a comp. if round one is any guide it looks like being on the cards again for the 2014 age group. It can be argued at times that the absolute depth they have makes getting the best combination of 15 together a challenge. Other schools seem to have a much clearer picture earlier, and are working on team dynamics and combinations much earlier. Could be way off mark, but even if you take out the alleged cherry picking of talent else where, joeys results over the last 7 years or so have been well below their historical standards. I'm not a joeys supporter but I do believe that a strong joeys 1sts floats all boats. They gave been the bench mark, and GPS needs them to be competitive at least.

I have a feeling that the last 7 years or so have been under a new headmaster who prioritised academic processes and results. As a result fewer scouts were promoting rugby talent to enter Joeys.
GPS needs them to be competitive? No, GPS needs all schools to be competitive within agreed boundaries. Premierships which move from school to school depending on the strength of the playing group who enter in year 7 and are developed with good coaching will "float all boats".

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
So it looks like 3 teams will contest the comp. with sides running up 'cricket' scores against the other remaining 3. What a sad situation. But I can only smile as others stood by and watched what happened to High Rugby while they built their 'temples'. Welcome to Third Grade - Shore and Kings, just a matter of time.

Or the hitherto unthinkable - combined "arms race" schools from CAS/GPS/ISA in Div 1 and the others in Div 2, with promotion and relegation done annually.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
I have a feeling that the last 7 years or so have been under a new headmaster who prioritised academic processes and results. As a result fewer scouts were promoting rugby talent to enter Joeys.
GPS needs them to be competitive? No, GPS needs all schools to be competitive within agreed boundaries. Premierships which move from school to school depending on the strength of the playing group who enter in year 7 and are developed with good coaching will "float all boats".
You can't deny kids who happen to enter a school in later years the chance of higher honours, but I completely agree with your comments.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
You perhaps won't be so smug next year when half the scholarship holders of that fine financial institution called Scots depart. Now that you have been caught with your hands in the till, the level playing field should return…….

Joeys will come 3rd this year in the 1sts. And I will be praying especially hard for my Catholic friends at Riverview to smash Scots.

And BTW, Joeys won the 2nds comp last year, did well in the 3rds and 16As, etc etc etc etc. What were Scots stats or is all the focus on 1sts and not building school culture?
pretty harsh rugby mum2. not the players faults that the system is the way it is. To hope teams get smashed is certainly not in the spirit of the game. Keep the politics out, and lets talk about the good points of the game. I hope all enjoy the game, the school spirit, the mateship, and strive to excel... and not get smashed.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I get what you're saying, but you miss my point. In all sports and competitive ventures, there is generally a side that sets the bar. In world rugby it's thankfully the all blacks who play expansive rugby, not the northern teams with death by scrummaging. They are the side that everyone is chasing. They don't always win but they continue to drive other teams to greater aspirations if they are to win. Of course the game at school level is stronger when all sides are competitive, but that is a year by year thing depending on the cohort. My point is simply that all schools covet a win over joeys 1's. If you beat a strong joeys side then you are by fact playing good rugby and the game is healthy outside hunters hill. That's my point.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
pretty harsh rugby mum2. not the players faults that the system is the way it is. To hope teams get smashed is certainly not in the spirit of the game. Keep the politics out, and lets talk about the good points of the game. I hope all enjoy the game, the school spirit, the mateship, and strive to excel. and not get smashed.

What about a comprehensive beating and I will borrow a Riverview scarf and beanie and link arms and sing the school song?

rickety knees

Peter Burge (5)
You can't deny kids who happen to enter a school in later years the chance of higher honours, but I completely agree with your comments.

Well said. No school will ever have a 1st XV that is made up of (insert year) Year 7 intake. Country kids often arrive in the later years 9-11 because the fees are so expensive thats all they can afford to send them for.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Can anyone remember when was the last time the 1st XV comp was truly competitive eg 5, 6 or even 7 (including Grammar and High if possible) of the 8 schools had a good shot at winning the Premiership? Also who is the Newington Captain of Rugby for 2014?

V

Vindíctam

Can anyone remember when was the last time the 1st XV comp was truly competitive eg 5, 6 or even 7 (including Grammar and High if possible) of the 8 schools had a good shot at winning the Premiership? Also who is the Newington Captain of Rugby for 2014?

1970's. High were a great school and had a good program. Grammar were very competitive. Scots were weak, New were competitive. Kings and Shore were strong. View were easy beats and Joeys only won three titles in the 1970's. I recall Joeys losing to SGS two years in a row!

Status
Not open for further replies.