• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick

Bob McCowan (2)
Kings backrower George Lehmann copped a nasty nose injury on Saturday, splitting his nostril in half. Any idea how long he will be out for ?

I was at the View vs. Kings game and can verify that George suffered the freakish injury in the last play of the game. Apparently he caught a stud up his nose whilst making a tackle! The injury looked very nasty and, I understand, that he had to wait until Sunday afternoon for surgery. He's a tough rooster and is likely to be back before too long.

Kings were also unlucky to suffer an injury to speedy Five Eight come Fullback, Hugh Yates, who was playing in No.15 on the day because of a previous injury to classy James Kane. Yates appeared to suffer a shoulder injury in trying to score in the corner in the first 10 or 15 minutes of the match. This is probably King's fourth serious injury to one of their backs in the last few weeks. Their depth and resolve will be tested.

Let's hope for a quick recovery for all boys (from all schools) who are unfortunate enough to pick up injuries.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
This looks to me very accurate, i wouldn't be surprised if you pretty much have the correct XV, i think the 2nds GPS will be very strong as well, as some quality players will obviously not make the 1st's
By all reports from pre season and round 1, that is a side picked on form. Obviously the selectors will have some tough choices between 1's and 2's with nothing much between a few players, and many others playing well also. The side looks very well balanced with no weak points in at all, lots of power, the ability to create opportunities, and speed. Hard to go past Freeman given Kane ( excellent talent) is injured.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am happy to see Andrew Cleverley's name in the Coaching list for GPS1.

I was impressed with him and his rugby development philosophy, when our paths crossed many years back when he was with NSW RU in the Coach Ed department, running the Coaching Level 1 and Pathway Courses.

As a professionally qualified educator, he understands boys and how to educate and develop them, rather than simply focusing on achieving short term goals of collecting trophies and winning premierships.

There is no doubting his passion for Rugby. IIRC he hails from NZ's deep south, but has "thawed" out since arriving on our shores.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Can anyone remember when was the last time the 1st XV comp was truly competitive eg 5, 6 or even 7 (including Grammar and High if possible) of the 8 schools had a good shot at winning the Premiership? Also who is the Newington Captain of Rugby for 2014?

I vote for 1979 - every team won a game and 5 teams were near the top, and apparently Joeys were saved from a winless season by Grammar capitulating at Weigall :cool:
GPS 79.JPG

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I vote for 1979 - every team won a game and 5 teams were near the top, and apparently Joeys were saved from a winless season by Grammar capitulating at Weigall :cool:
View attachment 4858

grammar did not capitulate.:cool:
A ref, who is probably still with us, awarded SJC a try from a maul. The problem was that when future wallaby M Murray got up carrying the ball he was 1m short of the line.
The rest, as they say, is history.
I swear I am over it.

Think About Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
A ref, who is probably still with us, awarded SJC a try from a maul. The problem was that when future wallaby M Murray got up carrying the ball he was 1m short of the line.
I swear I am over it.

The wound still appears to be open. Good to hear that even in those ancient times where there was an even competition it was still always the ref in the thick of it!

Think About Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Greg's actually beat joeys 3s and joeys had all athletes back. That said they wouldn't beat joeys 2s (might beat joeys 1s after last weekend's effort though! Lol)

Yes sorry. I have spoken to my (ex) friend who confesses he may have misled me. I still doubt they could help rebuild a rugby competition around the current GPS model.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
I am happy to see Andrew Cleverley's name in the Coaching list for GPS1.

I was impressed with him and his rugby development philosophy, when our paths crossed many years back when he was with NSW RU in the Coach Ed department, running the Coaching Level 1 and Pathway Courses.

As a professionally qualified educator, he understands boys and how to educate and develop them, rather than simply focusing on achieving short term goals of collecting trophies and winning premierships.

There is no doubting his passion for Rugby. IIRC he hails from NZ's deep south, but has "thawed" out since arriving on our shores.
Andrew is a great bloke, and a quality coach. It was also great to see the likes of Greg Mumm and Lachie Fear coaching teams as well. Both highly credentialed, and the boys will learn alot.

V

Vindíctam

I swear I am over it.

Mark swears he scored it.

Think About Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
and the record book agrees with him, 'cept it was Michael I think

It is fabulous you are so gracious (despite the wound!!). The trouble is this conversation (filling us with the warmth of fond memories) is talking about the last truly even GPS rugby comp in 1979. It's now 2014 with no hope of anything like this ever occurring again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
View attachment 4858

Actually 1980 was closer - top 6 teams within 4 pts - also New from first to last in one year demonstrates how serendipitous life was then. This was unfortunately the last year before the arms race started to get serious - but that is for another forum.
GPS 80.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.