• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is becoming like the thread that dare not speak its name: I think the asserted problems at shore are on a 2 week rotation.
I'd be interested to know:
  • how many shore parents look at the performance of the 1st XV and think they made the wrong choice sending their son there?
  • how many prospective parents will not apply to the school because of the 1st Xv's performance?
My tip - by the end of the 2015 AAGPS season there might be one in the first category and few in the 2nd category but of course there's always the issue of whether you know you're in or are on the waiting list which make "principled" stands easier.
It would be quite interesting to know the stats for all the GPS schools.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This is becoming like the thread that dare not speak its name: I think the asserted problems at shore are on a 2 week rotation.
I'd be interested to know:
  • how many shore parents look at the performance of the 1st XV and think they made the wrong choice sending their son there?
  • how many prospective parents will not apply to the school because of the 1st Xv's performance?
My tip - by the end of the 2015 AAGPS season there might be one in the first category and few in the 2nd category but of course there's always the issue of whether you know you're in or are on the waiting list which make "principled" stands easier.

It would be quite interesting to know the stats for all the GPS schools.

See post #2127 on page 107.;)

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I had - but I'd genuinely like to see if posters say that it affects their decision where they send the kid.
I can imagine that a lack of performance by a school in any of your preferred pathways could be a turn off for any parent. I doubt that's the case so much for Shore applicants as you have to have your name down as soon as the chords cut or you miss out, and right about then you would have a clue whether Johnny will play rugby or the violin. My point of view is that all of the schools and specifically Shore for this discussion cant preach an holistic education and a pursuit in excellence in every thing you do, when the school doesn't seem to pursue excellence in clearly the most enthusiastically supported co-curricular activity in the system. If you're spending $30k pa, you have a right to expect a profile sport like rugby will be supported. It's not always about the winning, it's knowing you have done the best you can do and being competitive. Right now I'm sure many rugby families at Shore do not feel that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Couldn't agree more. This debate gets fought in the extremes. The boys and their parents have every right to expect the school to support their rugby programme with resourcing that meets reasonable expectations and doesn't set the boys up for failure or injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)

Shore's problems in Rugby stem from having a different attitude to rugby & other sports in general than they do to music. They offer music scholarships and wouldn't dream of having their orchestras and bands taught by someone, with no qualifications in music, who likes going to the opera house occasionally.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Shore's problems in Rugby stem from having a different attitude to rugby & other sports in general than they do to music. They offer music scholarships and wouldn't dream of having their orchestras and bands taught by someone, with no qualifications in music, who likes going to the opera house occasionally.

Forgive my ignorance, but just who does coach the 1sts at Shore? At one point it was Tim Wallace wasn't it?

I take your point about music, but it would seem that their success in rowing would tend to suggest that there is some concentration on sport going on at the school.

I suspect that it's a little more than who coaches the 1st XV though. If it was that simple High and Grammar would have solved their issues previously. Shore is facing similar issues as both those schools - it's just that it's taken a bit longer for people to realise it because of the rugby demographic. Have a look at the fixture list - the soccer column grows ever longer, the AFL box grows from one game to two and there's only a finite number of students. If they are playing soccer and AFL they aren't playing rugby.

Kings isn't far behind in being hit by the same issues.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

I would imagine all Shore rugby coaches have a SmartRugby qualification, and senior coaches (such as the u16's and opens) would have what I remember to be the Level II qualification from the ARU. To have anything less would be inviting problems.
Your inference that Shore rugby coaches have no rugby qualifications and like going to rugby occasionally, and hence get selected to coach rugby, would be way off the mark.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Forgive my ignorance, but just who does coach the 1sts at Shore? At one point it was Tim Wallace wasn't it?

I take your point about music, but it would seem that their success in rowing would tend to suggest that there is some concentration on sport going on at the school.

I suspect that it's a little more than who coaches the 1st XV though. If it was that simple High and Grammar would have solved their issues previously. Shore is facing similar issues as both those schools - it's just that it's taken a bit longer for people to realise it because of the rugby demographic. Have a look at the fixture list - the soccer column grows ever longer, the AFL box grows from one game to two and there's only a finite number of students. If they are playing soccer and AFL they aren't playing rugby.

@QH....being close to the situation at Kings I certainly don't think it's an issue of the coaching team quality which comprise ex-super rugby players and a level 3 coach who has coached at the highest levels. Nor do I see it being the cattle.....I think they are working to a two year plan which will hopefully bear fruit in 2016....sometimes things are not what they seem, seam.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
@QH..being close to the situation at Kings I certainly don't think it's an issue of the coaching team quality which comprise ex-super rugby players and a level 3 coach who has coached at the highest levels. Nor do I see it being the cattle...I think they are working to a two year plan which will hopefully bear fruit in 2016..sometimes things are not what they seem, seam.

I agree that there is nothing wrong whatsoever with the Kings coaching staff, I'm referring more to the changing demographic which is applicable to varying degrees across all the GPS schools.

In the fixture list, the soccer column at Kings is now longer than the rugby column, same at Newington, same at Grammar, same at High.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

I went to the Shore v Kings game at Northbridge recently and from memory my (now discarded) programme listed Westdorp and Inches as coaches. Tim Wallace looked to be on duty at the ground as master in charge of rugby.
Between those 3 men there is a lot of rugby playing and coaching experience at elite levels. Since the school has been losing a lot in the last few years with them at the helm, I'd suggest the issues are systemic.
I have posted elsewhere the significant differences in school policy and recruitment activities between the GPS schools.That's where the gaps in rugby results is coming from, with coaching a relatively minor influencing factor only.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree that there is nothing wrong whatsoever with the Kings coaching staff, I'm referring more to the changing demographic which is applicable to varying degrees across all the GPS schools.

In the fixture list, the soccer column at Kings is now longer than the rugby column, same at Newington, same at Grammar, same at High.
I had the misfortune to watch parts of the the SJC V SIC 2nds soccer on the weekend.
In terms of crowd pulling spectacles GPS rugby has nothing to fear.
It was utterly appalling I'm not sure on what basis it is described as sport: there was no athleticism, no running, a truckload of ricochets off he woodwork or opponents and the favoured kick was the up and under.
It won't be long before someone decides, with a fine disregard for the laws, to pick up the ball and run with it.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I had the misfortune to watch parts of the the SJC V SIC 2nds soccer on the weekend.
It was utterly appalling I'm not sure on what basis it is described as sport: there was no athleticism, no running, a truckload of ricochets off he woodwork or opponents and the favoured kick was the up and under.
It won't be long before someone decides, with a fine disregard for the laws, to pick up the ball and run with it.

Are 1sts GPS soccer matches still being played early in the day so good players can go and play club soccer in the afternoon?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Are 1sts GPS soccer matches still being played early in the day so good players can go and play club soccer in the afternoon?
Has anyone seen the soccer grandstand at Northbridge used by more than 10 spectators?? I have never seen anyone in it watching anything (but I don't frequent Northbridge in the summer time).

Hmmmm, a lot of money that could have otherwise be used for Rugby development.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A little OT - it was nice to see two GPS old boys doing so well on the Shute Shield GF day. James Swan in Uni colours and Harry Boileau garbed in myrtle green (both Scots graduates) captained their Reserve Grade teams brilliantly in a cracker of a match, and both spoke professionally during the award ceremony.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not meaning to harp on about this (seeing as it probably isn't the right thread), but the news that a promising 15-a-side rugby player has made the switch to a code that he almost certainly isn't as familiar with is disheartening. Is it the money that drives them? Do the NRL clubs just get in first? Why does this keep happening?

Crichton (Scots), Moeroa (Newington) and now Wright (Joeys) from the GPS just to name a few in the past couple of years, as well as Ponga (I'm sure you've all seen the highlight video) up North in Australia's armpit (Queensland).

Obviously it's promising to see boys like Hutchison (Riverview), Strang (Scots) and Kellaway (Scots) amongst others to consolidate their futures with Union. But I have no difficulty imagining Kennewell, Loga-Tarogi, McGregor, Horton, Pirrodi, Gittoes and Girdler etc. etc. all suiting up in jerseys plagued with advertising whilst they line up to entertain a crowd of unruly bogans. They all may be built for League, but they were BORN for Union.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
@Beard and Jim, I would've definitely tipped Armidale if they were at home, but I'm backing Grammar to just edge it in what should be a thriller. A lot of thought went into my final decision/tip, but I'm still not 100% sure about it. It will no doubt be the fixture of the season in the 3rds division in terms of competitiveness.

Grammar's bringing a rather pathetic crowd, smaller than the modest turnouts they've been churning out in the weeks prior. Hopefully that won't be the case in the game vs High though in a few weeks time, especially since it's on Back to Weigall day. There's a big risk of the Armidale boys reserving/watching/travelling down to outnumber them.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

It's an appalling game isn't it? What did you do to deserve such cruel and unusual punishment?:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.