• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nah. They got some meat.
Results were:
v TSC , L 0 - 54
v SJC, L 3 - 102
v TKS, L 0 - 74
v Shore, L 5 - 67
v SIC, L 5 - 76
v SGC, L 0 - 55
v NC, L 5 - 45

http://www.sydneyboyshigh.com/publications/high-notes/archive/vol7no25
They beat Chevalier in a trial 10 - 7.
main.php

Back Row: J.Tiedgen, M.Levy, M.Fetherston, M.Dougall, G.Nguyen, B.Angell, J.Archer.
Second Row: W.Zhang, A.Vertoudakis, F.Jin, D.Vien, P.Gallego, D.Wu, R.Chen, J.Kamerman, D.Kim, A.Jawahir.
Front Row: Y-Z.Guo, J.Morgan, L.Yang, Dr K.A.Jaggar (Principal), S.Gribble (Captain), Mr S.Bolen (Coach), G.Manamperi, J.Ip, H.Frisoli.

The has been

Allen Oxlade (6)
2015 maybe the new 2006 !! The next 3 weeks could be a turning point in Shore's rugby future, Scots , Newington, Joey's ...OUCH !They should have Corbett back next week for New, If the coaches want to fix up the defence they would bring Sam Allen up from 2nd's, who should have been 13 all year,Corbett to wing, Patrick to 10, this would tighten up their defence considerably.But the Shore forwards have to get some ball, the last 2 games they haven't got ANY ball for the first 20 minutes of the game ,which puts them on the back foot the rest of the game, as they are tired from continual defence.We could see 200 points plus added to the Against column here if they lose more players through injury. Maybe then the School might give Tim Wallace the support he needs. Hope the BBQ is fired up tomorrow ,could be a long slow afternoon for the Shore followers.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any news on the injury front? Hopefully both joeys and new are close to full strength.

Is that joeys prop ... Fazzari still in 3rds ?? As at start of the season everyone thought he was shoe in for 1s.

Newington 2nds sound strong... So the seconds match should he some interest ... Other than that any other age groups where a chance ... Maybe 13As and 15as?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
2015 maybe the new 2006 !! The next 3 weeks could be a turning point in Shore's rugby future, Scots , Newington, Joey's .OUCH !They should have Corbett back next week for New, If the coaches want to fix up the defence they would bring Sam Allen up from 2nd's, who should have been 13 all year,Corbett to wing, Patrick to 10, this would tighten up their defence considerably.But the Shore forwards have to get some ball, the last 2 games they haven't got ANY ball for the first 20 minutes of the game ,which puts them on the back foot the rest of the game, as they are tired from continual defence.We could see 200 points plus added to the Against column here if they lose more players through injury. Maybe then the School might give Tim Wallace the support he needs. Hope the BBQ is fired up tomorrow ,could be a long slow afternoon for the Shore followers.
Maybe 2016 will be the new 2006, don't think there is any chance of a premiership this year.

I know the boys think that next year's team will be a good one.

And hopefully not too many anomalies left elsewhere. we might actually see a fair contest between schools.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
2015 maybe the new 2006 !! The next 3 weeks could be a turning point in Shore's rugby future, Scots , Newington, Joey's .OUCH !They should have Corbett back next week for New, If the coaches want to fix up the defence they would bring Sam Allen up from 2nd's, who should have been 13 all year,Corbett to wing, Patrick to 10, this would tighten up their defence considerably.But the Shore forwards have to get some ball, the last 2 games they haven't got ANY ball for the first 20 minutes of the game ,which puts them on the back foot the rest of the game, as they are tired from continual defence.We could see 200 points plus added to the Against column here if they lose more players through injury. Maybe then the School might give Tim Wallace the support he needs. Hope the BBQ is fired up tomorrow ,could be a long slow afternoon for the Shore followers.

Not sure if Corbett can return.... second concussion for the year - doesn't that mean he is out for rest of season under the new protocols?

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any news on the injury front? Hopefully both joeys and new are close to full strength.

Is that joeys prop . Fazzari still in 3rds ?? As at start of the season everyone thought he was shoe in for 1s.

Newington 2nds sound strong. So the seconds match should he some interest . Other than that any other age groups where a chance . Maybe 13As and 15as?

New 2nds are a good solid team this year, and the boys would have been disappointed by the 1-pt loss to Kings last week. They're strengthened by the return of their tight-head prop this week, after he played loose-head last week for 1sts (and showed the Kings rep tight-head a thing or two about scrummaging while he was at it!) so they could well be back as joint competition leaders on Saturday night

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
New 2nds are a good solid team this year, and the boys would have been disappointed by the 1-pt loss to Kings last week. They're strengthened by the return of their tight-head prop this week, after he played loose-head last week for 1sts (and showed the Kings rep tight-head a thing or two about scrummaging while he was at it!) so they could well be back as joint competition leaders on Saturday night

They were very lucky to get a last minute win V Shore in Rd 1, Shore defeated kings so I would think they would go in as favorites next week at Northbridge. Should be a good game.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure if Corbett can return.. second concussion for the year - doesn't that mean he is out for rest of season under the new protocols?
a real positive are these concussion rules

Although wasn't sure if a particular incident in last weeks joeys v scots match, looked right

Sidestepa may have it on film?

One of the joeys backs stayed down after a tackle and when he Regained his feet he had a noticeable stumble... Didn't face plant, but went close

After which the kid had an on field assessment

What are the rules re that situation .. As it didn't look like a proper assessment was made ... But I am no medico and not sure whether a stagger is indicative of anything

And what referee is required to ensure happens?

I just know at the time , I was thinking if that was my son , I would have wanted more than what looked very brief assessment

Last year joeys long serving Medico retired and I remember him doing the right thing and more a less dragging kids from the field , without fear or favour

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
a real positive are these concussion rules

Although wasn't sure if a particular incident in last weeks joeys v scots match, looked right

Sidestepa may have it on film?

One of the joeys backs stayed down after a tackle and when he Regained his feet he had a noticeable stumble. Didn't face plant, but went close

After which the kid had an on field assessment

What are the rules re that situation .. As it didn't look like a proper assessment was made . But I am no medico and not sure whether a stagger is indicative of anything

And what referee is required to ensure happens?

I just know at the time , I was thinking if that was my son , I would have wanted more than what looked very brief assessment

Last year joeys long serving Medico retired and I remember him doing the right thing and more a less dragging kids from the field , without fear or favour

I've just had a second look at the video from last week's game and the Joeys fullback goes down after a head knock during an attempted tackle on his opposite number at 15:58 - the ref notices immediately, then (appropriately) stops play to call for an assessment. The video doesn't show the outcome of the assessment, but a couple of minutes later the #15 can be seen in general play. It may just be the editing that makes it appear that he didn't go off for a thorough assessment, but if he was assessed and was allowed to continue to play after that sort of injury, then it raises some serious concerns about a) the competence of the medical staff, and, b) the priorities of the coaching staff.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I've just had a second look at the video from last week's game and the Joeys fullback goes down after a head knock during an attempted tackle on his opposite number at 15:58 - the ref notices immediately, then (appropriately) stops play to call for an assessment. The video doesn't show the outcome of the assessment, but a couple of minutes later the #15 can be seen in general play. It may just be the editing that makes it appear that he didn't go off for a thorough assessment, but if he was assessed and was allowed to continue to play after that sort of injury, then it raises some serious concerns about a) the competence of the medical staff, and, b) the priorities of the coaching staff.

I watched the Video last night. Well Done Sidesteppa, excellent work, great game. (wish we could get tape of all the matches)

The only thing that surprised me at Joeys 15 is why he wasn't Man of the Match 3 points. He had a blinder of a game - was everywhere and pulled off some great tackles.

Cant comment on the injury, I didnt notice the incident. But the boy did play well.

Joeyes must have been gutted after having the lead all match, losing it, getting it back and to eventually losing the game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Very interesting that table.

Sydney Boys High only 18 points for (Iam guessing 6 penalty Goals - no tries).

Shore needed to beat Riverview at Northbridge to claim the title outright, but fell at the final hurdle before a huge crowd.

3 wins to Grammar, High struggled but they were there - 9 years down the track both have disappeared from 1st XV and a 3rd school has a distinct case of the wobbles. Is the competition as a whole better or worse?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Shore needed to beat Riverview at Northbridge to claim the title outright, but fell at the final hurdle before a huge crowd.

3 wins to Grammar, High struggled but they were there - 9 years down the track both have disappeared from 1st XV and a 3rd school has a distinct case of the wobbles. Is the competition as a whole better or worse?

High are struggling in the thirds comp. What next for them?

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)

Iggies did their homework and had identified a couple of tackle shy Shore backs (one in particular) - Mitch Inman had a blinder. Very disappointing after beating Joeys at HH. Full credit, however, to what had been a weak age group at Shore (albeit there were a few U16s/U17s in the team). I remember them being beaten 70 odd to not much by Iggies in the 14A's.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Is the competition as a whole better or worse?

A very interesting question.
Some probably think it is but my hunch the majority think not.
Just as the silence in answer to my invitation for parents or students to indicate they would base a decision about what school on rugby prowess suggests that rugby prowess matters a lot more to rugby nuts as we all are than it does to parents, as such.
The real problem is that the whole ARU development plan is built on a different understanding.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
High are struggling in the thirds comp. What next for them?

IMO they need to stay there. As long as it doesn't become a safety issue schools should try to stay in the highest level that they can. It could be argued (and others are more qualified then I am to comment on this), that long term going down hasn't solved anything for either High or Grammar. As the weakest team has departed, it leaves less competitive games for the lower standard teams of any particular season and by default someone else takes on the role of the weakest team and the process repeats.

So, using the 2006 8 school competition as an example, the bottom 4 teams Grammar, Newington, Scots and High had three games against weaker opponents and the top 4 schools had 3 hard games. In 2015 the bottom 2 play a competitive game against each other (twice a two round set-up), but for the bottom team in particular there just aren't those easier games anymore.

In 2006 and before, with the exception of Joeys at the top and right near the end High at the bottom, the other schools each had turns at being strong or weak based on the randomness of the intake, but I'll leave it there as we a starting to stray into matters best discussed elsewhere.;)

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
In all likelihood the worst outcome for New in their run home is that they share the title with Scots given they enjoy a 2 points buffer. After Shore tomorrow it's difficult to see New losing to both Joeys and Riverview although one loss is feasible.

Scots v Shore: For an injury depleted team, Shore have a wretched run home and their supporters are likely to struggle with this spectacle. I hope I'm wrong & Shore can limit the carnage: S by 30

Joeys v New: Giving up a 19 point loss last rd and their slim title hopes plus key players missing will be difficult obstacles for Joeys to overcome even with home ground advantage against the front runners: N by 10

Kings v View: Both sides will be looking to claim superiority in the piggies to unleash their classy backs. View to continue their good recent record against Kings: V by 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom