• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
The injury to Clements was likely in one of the two tackles he was involved in, which I photographed.

They are in the blog here.

Just back on this concussion topic.

Why dont the Schools make head gear compulsory, It has got to help. Especially if everyone wears it, then head clashes have double the insulation.

I saw some wobbly boys today. Not assessed and allowed to play on

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Why dont the Schools make head gear compulsory, It has got to help. Especially if everyone wears it, then head clashes have double the insulation.

"Skull fractures and intracranial bleeding are rare in Rugby injuries, but concussion is relatively common," says Dr McIntosh. "There's some evidence that the standard headgear may prevent some minor head wounds but our study found that it was of no benefit in preventing concussion."
https://www.science.unsw.edu.au/news/padded-headgear-wont-stop-concussion

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)

There have been a number studies demonstrating that head gear provides zero protection for concussion. Concussion occurs basically when the brain impacts against the inside of the skull causing various degrees of trauma. So it's an impact outcome. head gear will obviously stop lacerations , some bumps and bruises etc, but doesnt stop concussion. For ease of understanding look at the massive issues in the nfl with brain injury / complex concussions etc, and they wear a hard helmet. There are also other issues with kids wearing head gear in the hotter periods with potential problems from overheating the brain. I'm not a doctor , but I have had to deal with a few of these first hand and that's been my findings from working through it with qualified medical staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smithandwesson

Peter Burge (5)
Sadly saw a serious incident today, a New player [1sts] tackled head high, looked unconscious before his head/neck hit the ground. Stretcher'd off, just pray he's ok.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
"Skull fractures and intracranial bleeding are rare in Rugby injuries, but concussion is relatively common," says Dr McIntosh. "There's some evidence that the standard headgear may prevent some minor head wounds but our study found that it was of no benefit in preventing concussion."
https://www.science.unsw.edu.au/news/padded-headgear-wont-stop-concussion

I'm not sure how you run a clinical study on such things. (The mind boggles)

The hard helmets in NFL probably add to the force of the collision, and I have no doubt would send the brain spinning around the scull.

Its funny how all the high profile players who suffered from frequent bouts of Footballers headache (Barnes, Flattley, Gitteo) all wear headgear.

Logic and common sense would lead you to think it must be of some help.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)

The hard helmets in NFL probably add to the force of the collision, and I have no doubt would send the brain spinning around the scull.

Its funny how all the high profile players who suffered from frequent bouts of Footballers headache (Barnes, Flattley, Gitteo) all wear headgear.

I actually think I've seen more kids with head gear copping that kind of injury, as well as neck injuries in the tackle. Maybe the head gear makes them feel invincible and better technique is ignored, don't know. It's rare to see international players wearing it other than to reduce superficial injury and developing ordinary looking ears.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I actually think I've seen more kids with head gear copping that kind of injury, as well as neck injuries in the tackle. Maybe the head gear makes them feel invincible and better technique is ignored, don't know. It's rare to see international players wearing it other than to reduce superficial injury and developing ordinary looking ears.

Brainstrust, you could be right and the good people at the University actually do know what they are talking about.

However, None of my boys ever went near a rugby field without it. (at least when I was watching). And I am not about to suggest they stop on the basis of that study.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

details how a team of researchers monitored the on-field performance of more than 4,000 players in more than 80 teams. The players, aged between 12 and 20, were followed over almost 29,000 hours of actual playing time in normal competition and results were compiled from written questionnaires.
A control group wore no headgear, a second group wore a scrum cap permitted by the International Rugby Board (IRB),

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
An update on the report provided by Cash. Sadly, I seem to have lost another camera, so I could not take photos. The TAS player was, I think, the number fifteen in the Seconds, Brett-Kelly Wirth according to the program. More on him in a moment.

It was a very hot day at Weigall. Needless to say, while I was told that I should bring a hat, I forgot so am somewhat pink. In terms of the food competition, I was very hungry so had the lot. Bot bad. "Dear those country boys can eat", someone on the canteen said.

Overall results across the board first. I only picked up snippets, but it seemed to be that the two schools were fairly evenly balanced. I will get the full results later, for they should provide a comparison of the depth across the presently two strongest minnows.

The seconds kicked off a bit after twelve. There were some early penalties against TAS, but TAS then scored at around the 6th minute, then again at the 11th minute and then around the 19th minute, all converted. Grammar in shock.

This is where the number 15 came in. He was very fast and also a very good kicker both on field and in converting tries. Constantly hovering for the intercept, once with the ball he was very hard indeed to stop. I'm not sure how old he is. I'm not good at judging, but when I saw him close up. I would guess year 11.

Grammar fought back, scoring just before the break. Half time score 21-5.

Just into the second half, TAS scored another runaway try that was converted. A TAS boy was then yellow carded. Two minutes later, Grammar was in for a try that was then converted. The Grammar forwards then attacked and attacked in driving rugby, requiring desperate TAS defence to keep them out. In the end, the second half was a draw, with the final score 28-12.

After the seconds, I was looking forward to the main match, but Grammar were just so much the better looking team. They scored quite early, converted and then scored again ten minutes later, converted. Now TAS were looking shell-shocked.

While TAS was holding in the forwards, the Grammar backs always looked dangerous. Ten minutes after the second Grammar try, and against the run of play, the TAS Seconds number fifteen now playing at no 19, ran away with the ball to score. Half time Grammar 14-TAS 5.
The second half began with a quick Grammar Grammar try, converted and then another one. A Grammar player was then yellow cared, with TAS scoring one minute later. The final score was, I think, 26-10.

Looking at the game from a tactical perspective. TAS has some back-line work to do. They may, as Cash suggests, just have been tired. But the TAS backs were standing very deep. I counted at one point, and it was taking 3-4 seconds to get into position to take the pass. By then, the cover defence was across. The TAS players were also bunching, with up to three or four Grammar backs being effectively unmarked. Only some blinding one on one ankle tackles stopped what might have become a rout.

The tackle of the match, at least of those I saw, belonged to the TAS number 19. The Grammar backline had broken way with two players in support , the TAS backline was in disarray. Starting from some 30 metres behind, the number 19 accelerated across field and managed to dive tackle the Grammar boy around the legs close to the line.

While I could wish that TAS had done better, Grammar really deserved their win. They are a very good team.

Great report, Jim.

I also thought it might interest you that the Wallabies trained on the same ground an hour or two after the 1s game between Grammar and Armidale!

https://www.facebook.com/Wallabies/videos/vb.20262130730/10153493544785731/?type=2&theater

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
@RM 2....didn't see any posts about yesterday's results from the 2's. Did the Joe Boys get up over New?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
details how a team of researchers monitored the on-field performance of more than 4,000 players in more than 80 teams. The players, aged between 12 and 20, were followed over almost 29,000 hours of actual playing time in normal competition and results were compiled from written questionnaires.
A control group wore no headgear, a second group wore a scrum cap permitted by the International Rugby Board (IRB),

The study sounds pretty comprehensive, so could be right. But if I channel my scientific past life I can see some flaws.

The study is based on the individual and the voluntary use of headgear. Straight away there are biases. My thinking is more forwards use headgear and are subject to more collisions. (albeit that backs may have less but are at high speed which may be more dangerous). Also those using headgear may already be prone to concussion hence why they wear it.

A better study which will probably never be undertaken, is where entire matches are played with 30 players all wearing headgear, and against control matches of the entire 30 without headgear. This study is at the match level not the individual level. It has the benefit of double insulation in head clashes. it still may result in the same outcome but would be a very different study and have much more scientific rigor than the one you quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.