• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As a former ref and player all we want in rugby is for consistent rulings by referees; if that's how this ref ruled earlier in this match it would've been a traversty if he changed his style at the last ruck.

tight hamstring

Frank Nicholson (4)
Super entertainment at Newington . As a view supporter yes disappointed but there were no complaints . With three 16 year olds in their pack and some great performances by the older boys View dominated the forward tussle in the second half . That said , New's captain Murray was an inspiration just when they needed him most .

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Quick Hands. I agree. The ball though was not sitting in the open, there were players latched or latching on to the try scorer. There were two players visible defending the ruck.

Anyway, what a finish to a good season. Great fun had by all. Well done to the players of both teams who played the game in good spirit. In that regard I spoke with the Shore coach yesterday and congratulated him on keeping the positive school spirit alive at Shore. They lost on the field but they always remain upbeat.

I have faith in Shore to lift for next year. They've got a talented cohort coming through, and with the right coaching hopefully they'll finish high on the table.

F McGrath

Stan Wickham (3)
Super entertainment at Newington . As a view supporter yes disappointed but there were no complaints . With three 16 year olds in their pack and some great performances by the older boys View dominated the forward tussle in the second half . That said , New's captain Murray was an inspiration just when they needed him most .

Newington also has 3 16 year olds in their pack

Ricey

Frank Row (1)
Some Stats that may be of interest:

Joeys Rugby Statistics 2015:

41 Rugby Teams: 474 Games - 17256 Points For / Just over 5000 Against

Won 82.2% of GPS Rounds

Most successful age group - U14s won 89.9% of their games

Best Offensive Team: U14Bs 648 Points in 10 games

Best Defensive Team: Open 10ths - conceded 33 Points in 10 games

Pennant winning sides:

Opens Pennant winning side: 2nds

Opens Pennant winning side & Undefeated: 3rds

Undefeated Sides:

Opens: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th

16A, B, C, D, E

15C, D, F

14A, B, C, D

13B, D, E, F

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As a former ref and player all we want in rugby is for consistent rulings by referees; if that's how this ref ruled earlier in this match it would've been a traversty if he changed his style at the last ruck.

The ref was consistent and fair from begining to end. I thought he did a good job and he allowed the game to flow and most importantly he didn't impose himself on the game, he just allowed the boys from both teams to demonstrate their skill and committment. (As evidenced by 80 points in 70 minutes)

It was such a great exhibition of schoolboy rugby from everyone involved.

tight hamstring

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just on the pitch invasion . I well understand the 2 schools of thought but the joint was packed , it was back to Newington day and the boys had been through 69 1/2 minutes of exhilaration then intense disappointment when in the dying second their team score and claim joint ownership of the premiership . Hard to contain those emotions .

Some of the view players were of the opinion they would have run on also in similar circumstances . So no harm done and for what it is worth I loved it .

mike parker

Frank Nicholson (4)
Some Stats that may be of interest:

Joeys Rugby Statistics 2015:

41 Rugby Teams: 474 Games - 17256 Points For / Just over 5000 Against

Won 82.2% of GPS Rounds

Most successful age group - U14s won 89.9% of their games

Best Offensive Team: U14Bs 648 Points in 10 games

Best Defensive Team: Open 10ths - conceded 33 Points in 10 games

Pennant winning sides:

Opens Pennant winning side: 2nds

Opens Pennant winning side & Undefeated: 3rds

Undefeated Sides:

Opens: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th

16A, B, C, D, E

15C, D, F

14A, B, C, D

13B, D, E, F

Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 1.33.03 PM.png

Says that the thirds for joeys only had 20 points against them. They should be the best defensive side

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Full credit to Newington, they had some outstanding players and were coached terrifically throughout the duration of a fantastic season. Although there isn't anything to do to change the course of the refereeing in the game, it is worth pointing out the decision which ultimately decided the premiership winning team(s). That being said, what Joker has pointed is correct, and there is quite clearly one player either side in contact above the ball. I guess all that you can say is that View (and in a way Scots) should feel hard done by.

As said previously, the ref in this game was consistent, and in fact throughout the season their interpretations of the rules have been so. Can't believe Scots would feel hard done by, I've seen Charlie Smith & Max Girdler do this many times.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
The ref was consistent and fair from begining to end. I thought he did a good job and he allowed the game to flow and most importantly he didn't impose himself on the game, he just allowed the boys from both teams to demonstrate their skill and committment. (As evidenced by 80 points in 70 minutes)

It was such a great exhibition of schoolboy rugby from everyone involved.
Agree wholeheartedly QH, that's surely what players and spectators of the grand arts really want from the Refs (fair & consistent across the full 70'), and what will keep all and sundry turning up to watch fine young men like these going around at this level for years to come. The whole scene, and the joys of one of those truly special Schoolboy Rugby moments. Well done to the Ref in all the circumstances for letting it play out on the players' terms. (Imagine if he'd actually called a penalty for hands in the ruck?!?)

Byron Williamson

Herbert Moran (7)
Just on the pitch invasion . I well understand the 2 schools of thought but the joint was packed , it was back to Newington day and the boys had been through 69 1/2 minutes of exhilaration then intense disappointment when in the dying second their team score and claim joint ownership of the premiership . Hard to contain those emotions .

Some of the view players were of the opinion they would have run on also in similar circumstances . So no harm done and for what it is worth I loved it .

I genuinely don't understand how you could have enjoyed watching that pitch invasion, whether you're a View or New supporter. For all the effort and hard work Riverview put in during that second half to claw back and eventually get into the lead, for them to have to stand there, being pushed aside by students who will never have the privilege of playing First XV rugby, is completely disrespectful. It has been well known that pitch invasions at all schools have been banned for the last 5 or so years mostly to protect the safety of the players. I know for a fact that there were 50 seconds left when New scored that try, and it took the referee 20 seconds to call time off, if it weren't for the pitch invasion, there may have been one more play. The teachers and coachers of Newington preceded to run onto the ground themselves and apologise to the players, which I commend immensely.

Riverview should hold their heads high and know that they came close to one of the all-time great wins, in an all-time great GPS footy game.

rugbycheersquad

Frank Nicholson (4)
There would not have been one more play, the kicker has 90 seconds to kick the ball for the conversion. I don't think anyone but the referee knew what time was left after several stoppages. Rest assured that the Newington boys will not be unscathed. No need for any more comment on here.

Byron Williamson

Herbert Moran (7)
Simple. Because I saw the joy on hundreds of faces .

You need to learn how to lose, and you need to learn how to win. For a school that barely gets crowds (and I mean they had a solid crowd of FIVE students at one game) at any of their other First XV games , I don't think they were out there to celebrate the victory of the premiership, when I doubt any of them really cared about that to a certain extent, rather they just did it because they succumbed to peer pressure and a level of mob mentality.

tight hamstring

Frank Nicholson (4)
Who knows maybe after such a great afternoon a few more will turn up regularly and some of those might be tempted to play .

Yes there are 2 schools of thought as to whether it was appropriate I just happen to fall into a different camp than you and probably others .

Status
Not open for further replies.