• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Round 1 , Game 2 tips:

Joeys over Scots by 7 (home ground advantage)
View over Shore by 14 (forwards too strong)
Kings over New by 3 (calling home ground advantage and Kings beat Scots by greater margin than New)

What a cracker of a round....My money is with RM2's predictions (including the margins)

I know its early days but IMO this round will unmask the contenders from the pretenders.:)

Up and Over

Frank Nicholson (4)
Round 1 game 2 tips -
Joeys over Scots by 14 (Joeys looking good oiled machine already)
View over Shore by 10 (shore forwards are small and inexperienced + McGregor is a far more astute and respected leader)
New over Kings by 7 (will be a close and competitive match, but feel New will edge it)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Tips for next round (13 June)

Shore by 5 over Riverview

Joeys by 10-15 over Scots

Newington by 5-10 over Kings

tight hamstring

Frank Nicholson (4)
I must have been at a different game to everyone else . My take :

* J Mac tried hard but was rusty coming back after injury . Missed a few tackles , threw an intercept and kicked a few out on the full .
* Forwards pretty even . View better at set piece ( 2 tightheads ) , Joeys better at line out . No winner at break down , only one steal each . I can only recall one clean Joeys forward break and that was Gittoes . Gherig a handful for Joeys all game .
* real difference were backs . Joeys lightning and well organised . Many breaks made through backs .
* Important to note that 2 tries were intercepts and Joeys put 28 points on when View down to 14 players . However those tries were from missed tackles not overlaps .
* Overall Joeys clearly the better side but View paid dearly for every mistake . Some positives with forwards although I thought both teams appear smallish .

Nectarphiliac

Chris McKivat (8)
New vs Kings: I think this will be a blockbuster; both teams undefeated, both teams wanting to prove that they mean business. I have New to win by a try.

Shore vs Riverview: I have Riverview to beat Shore by at least 20, hopefully View can find some form.

Joeys vs Scots: An interesting match this will certainly be. Scots could possible pull off an upset win, however I'm confident that the boys from Hunters Hill will come through with the win.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

R&M 101, for ease of future reference, Hugh Jarse has helpfully reproduced the draw from the aagps website at post #777 (page 39).

Gilly

Herbert Moran (7)
Tips for Round 2::
Joeys over Scots (0-2) start to season
Newington to beat the improving Kings
Shore to scrape home in front of the Hawker stand

Big Marv

Frank Row (1)
Well, well, well. Looks like Scots' run at the top may well be over. Has the fat lady sung? Everyone has been private messaging me wanting to know Big Marv's opinion. I've used a SWOT analysis to analyse the 'Floyd Mayweather' of the GPS. Here it is:

Strengths: They know what they need to do to win. Witnessed at Riverview last year when down 21-0. A win was the last thing on the cards. Big Marv and the little Marvins were ready to go home, but Big Marv stayed and witnessed one of the great GPS games. Call me crazy, but this experience will hold them well in tight games. Ride on.

Weaknesses: A lack of size has hurt Scots since the loss of Crichton. If I could use a cooking analogy: Scots is like a bowl of soup without the chicken. The take away message, Scots need to start feeding their forwards some chicken to put on some serious size.

Opportunities: Scots have the opportunity to surprise opponents. Will Jake Prindiville make the move to the forwards? Probably not. But wouldn't that be crazy!

Threats: From watching the game on the weekend, Big Marv realised that Scots haven't seemed to change their style of play since '14. BIG MARVSTAKE. Newington and King have both bought on to Scots' no nonsense, Mansfieldesque style of play and look to be able to counter their aggressiveness.

Verdict: Bad start to the season, but at this stage, Big Marv is still backing them for the premiership. That may change if they loose this weekend.

- Big Marv

LizardQueen

Frank Row (1)
I have been privy to a lot of good joeys teams over the years, including the Mighty Midgets of '94 who silenced all the critics and pummelled through opposition despite their small stature, including Gregory Thompson, current backs coach. Blaise Barnes is small, but his dynamic sidestep and jet shoes are reminiscent of the 1994 side and he will no doubt cause trouble against the predictable Scots structures and slower wingers.

LizardQueen

Frank Row (1)
Jac Mac has a Similar playing style to a young Greg, but more mature. Greg had a tendency to crack under pressure and often hid in the shadows of better backs around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.