• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes that is true & we have been beaten many times by them before & in the current circumstances would be a much better option. However, did anyone ever once stop & consider that some kids in the 15Ds (or lower team whatever they are) might actually enjoy the chance to play on Number 1 at SJC & take on a stronger side? Some would view this an opportunity in life & learn from it (as happens outside of rugby) & once in a thousand times the weaker team might even beat the As & what a story that would be.

However, you miss the point - it's called a competition for a reason - obviously not the Scots kids' fault they are away but the GPS comp is weaker for it & this is effectively regarded as a forfeit (or perhaps a 'no-show') which is not a good look for anyone - Scots is certainly better than that. If we have schools doing what they like when they like, then the 'competition' which seems to be a dirty word these days, slowly becomes a farce.

Wow, are you seriously suggesting that a 15D team would enjoy the experience of being flogged by a 15A team?

You're the one who has missed the point - it isn't called a competition. The only rugby "competitions" run by the AAGPS are 1sts, 2nds and 3rds.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I was under the impression that the winners of the 16A's competition receive a shield. Isn't there a GPS 16s team(s) as well?
Never heard of a trophy of any sort for the 16's at inter-school level. Yes there is a GPS 16's team/s. They are called the Presidents XV, and there is an A and B side. They play CAS , ISA etc and that tournament is the key selection pathway for the NSW Schools team.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Never heard of a trophy of any sort for the 16's at inter-school level. Yes there is a GPS 16's team/s. They are called the Presidents XV, and there is an A and B side. They play CAS , ISA etc and that tournament is the key selection pathway for the NSW Schools team.

Even they are not GPS sides and 2 years ago included a kid from CCC who the President selected.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Well of course you're entitled to your opinion. I thought that when you play something you have to take the good with the bad - there is nothing to be humiliated about when you've been flogged in sport particularly when you've decided to have a go & turn up. Since when has there been an edict to stop somebody from playing sport because they might lose heavily? What a great lesson that is.

With respect to the competition, it might not be official but there is always the talk of in all years of whether it is trials or the comp. Just ask the coaches whether they view it as a competition.

Finally if you're playing football in the same age group & you're worried about getting hurt, you're probably playing the wrong game. Scrums are not contested if there is danger & I would like to know at what point do you decide your 'duty of care' kicks in? Some of those lower grades tackle very hard don't worry about that.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
HTR, you need to let this go and enjoy the rugby for what it is. It is only two games you are not playing. Win 8 from 8 and stick the pennant on the wall and wait until 2017 when Jr HTR might be good enough to play in 1s, 2s or 3rds and then, along with the pennant, you can add some silverware.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
HTR, you need to let this go and enjoy the rugby for what it is. It is only two games you are not playing. Win 8 from 8 and stick the pennant on the wall and wait until 2017 when Jr HTR might be good enough to play in 1s, 2s or 3rds and then, along with the pennant, you can add some silverware.

He's really not that talented & has copped many heavy defeats as a junior in various teams but played on because he enjoyed & actually learned from it. Given the flogging I am copping on the forum it might be time to go but thank you for your opinions which I understand but happen to disagree with.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is the Spaghetti Cup not a real competition? :(

It may not be officially recognised by the AAGPS glitterati but it is a very important competition for those involved (as is the 13 G's and 14F's and 15C's & .... ... ...), and one that invokes much of what we love about the Game played in Heaven. Play the game for the games sake, leave nothing in the tank, and leave it all out on the field after Sir blows the whistle for no game. Shake hands and be mates forever.

Rejoice that kids are running around with their mates for a common goal, whatever the grade.

rip

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would be very surprised if Simpson from Joeys doesn't end up as the 7 for gps 1's or 2's. He was very strong for joeys last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree if L Simpson is injury free he would be IMOP the best 7 in GPS rugby

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Although they will be playing a game next week - just not against a Scots D side.

Slacky

Frank Row (1)
Just to be clear - scots 15a played high 15a
Scots 15b played high 15b
Scots 15c played newington 15d
Weaker teams than usual but graded accordingly

mike parker

Frank Nicholson (4)
Even they are not GPS sides and 2 years ago included a kid from CCC who the President selected.

That's why it is called presidents not GPS 16's.
If I'm not mistaken, the AAGPS have not given the rights for a 16's team. This leaves the door open for players from the CCC for example to be eligible. However, it is mostly made up of boys from the AAGPS schools.

The has been

Allen Oxlade (6)

Yep here we go in backs Wright F/B -J Sepessa W -N Prindiville W -S, Kennewell 13 -N , England 12- S McGregor 10- RV Strang 9,-S
Gehrig 8, Smith 7 Girdler 6 Gittoes 5, Horton 2 ,Props and #4 a lottery for me,possibly a couple of the Big Boppa's from the New front row.. Means GPS 2nds should have an awsome back line with talent left over if the selectors get it right..The Kings brothers are good 12&14,we have the Joeys, full back Clements and winger in great form as well as King at 13 , Murray12 from New, Mete from R/View,the only 2 in form from Shore in the backs are Rixon (15 or 11) and Patrick can play 10 ,13, 15,.Forwards Doyle ,Hedge maybe only chances. Good luck to all the players seeking selection.

Footydad

Bob McCowan (2)
Big year of sport for Joeys.

Got the HOR win (first time in yonks) and looking good after many years in the 1st XV.

The 2 biggest prizes IMO in GPS Sport may reside in Hunters Hill this year.

Major Rennie

Joeys also looking good in an expected tight Football competition.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Yep here we go in backs Wright F/B -J Sepessa W -N Prindiville W -S, Kennewell 13 -N , England 12- S McGregor 10- RV Strang 9,-S
Gehrig 8, Smith 7 Girdler 6 Gittoes 5, Horton 2 ,Props and #4 a lottery for me,possibly a couple of the Big Boppa's from the New front row.. Means GPS 2nds should have an awsome back line with talent left over if the selectors get it right..The Kings brothers are good 12&14,we have the Joeys, full back Clements and winger in great form as well as King at 13 , Murray12 from New, Mete from R/View,the only 2 in form from Shore in the backs are Rixon (15 or 11) and Patrick can play 10 ,13, 15,.Forwards Doyle ,Hedge maybe only chances. Good luck to all the players seeking selection.
Back line sounds pretty good for me, although I think Simpson would have to be extremely close to GPS 1's at 7. He is big and powerful. Also the selectors would have to be keen on one or the other Riverview props, not overly big but they have dished up to both Newington and Joeys at scrum time so far. With the locks, what a selection problem with Gittoes, Pirrodi and McCauley all big, powerful and excellent in the lineout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.