• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yep, I think View won 5 overall (a few playing lower SJC teams). 1,2, and 3's games were all solid affairs.
I did think view would win a few more today but they definitely provided Joeys with the most competition from a single school this season.

F McGrath

Stan Wickham (3)
There was a great crowd at Newington today. It was a great game of rugby with the players showing a lot of respect for each other at the end.The grammar 1sts Newington 3rd game was a small crowd!!

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
There was a great crowd at Newington today. It was a great game of rugby with the players showing a lot of respect for each other at the end.The grammar 1sts Newington 3rd game was a small crowd!!
I managed to get to the game around 10 minutes into the 1st half and the crowd ended up being pretty reasonable. Plenty of Scots supporters which debunked the myth that they don't like to travel west of the City.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

A good crowd at Nothbridge too.
Shore boys and some parents filled their half of the grandstand. Kings half was about 3/4 full. Lots of parents on the eastern mini-stand (some of whom were not talking business and were actually watching the game). I didn't see as many RM Williams boots as I had expected. A few cheeky Shore old boys were gently encouraging the ref. A beautiful afternoon with the setting sun sending long shadows across the ground as full time drew near. Steak sandwiches and coffee were excellent.
The game? Kings were very strong at the breakdown and were able to make many meters with good clean outs leading to ground-gobbling runs. Some very good footwork from their outside backs when in one-on-one situations led to early tries. A well structured line out and dominant scrum set a solid platform for clean quick ball. The ref had a consistent game with the exception of his favouring Kings with his penalties for "attitude". I liked the way Kings were able to shift Shore bodies at the breakdown to get quick ball.
The Shore defence was usually accurate, low, and courageous at times but 6 tries against them by full time tells its own story. Their left wing was their best on field with great defence, but one player does not a brick wall make.
Kings' only failing was their inability to convert their tries.
An enjoyable afternoon on the sideline.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow ... What a game. The final score belies the fact that it was a come from behind result

Scots was down 17-5. The newington centre pairing of 12 and 13 was sintillating ... And 14 was a revelation

The diminutive scots 7 had spent 10 in the bin

And you thought newington was going to open it right up

However an opportunistic try to strang, where he managed to dart through largely untouched saw the scores to 17-12. Game on!

Between scots livewire 7 and massive girdler, these kids weren't giving up

A try in the corner, saw the scores to 17-17 with kick to come ... However it was into the breeze and the nonpreferred side for a right footer

I thought that must of been full time when a good kick narrowly missed

However there was still a few minutes left

Either team might of snatched it , maybe scots could of got a penalty right in front, but good refereeing saw what some might of thought a lifting tackle overlooked

Either way it sure left crowd quiet ... The non result

The kissed your sister feeling

However as an independent thought it was a fair result , neither team deserved to lose ... And there will be some sore bodies

Great game and keeps the season possibilities open

And best bit Wayne Barnes hadn't strangled the game ... Good referreeing , great rugby and back to by car in 5 minutes (even picked up a tasty cake from the new pastierre

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Saturday could not have been much better. The weather was cool, but sunny. The game at Stanmore between what I consider the two best teams in the comp, was an absolute beauty. Newington were bigger and stronger, but if Scots could keep in touch their better fitness would eventually come into play and that is how it played out. The game was played in good spirit and for a change, the referee's ego and whistle did not decide the outcome. Well done to the boys of both teams for their excellent sportsmanship. I then made a short hop skip and jump to ANZ Stadium to witness the Wallabies finally win a game against the mighty All Blacks. As I was leaving ANZ stadium, a group of about 40 TAS boys passed me by with big smiles and cheerful banter. I don't know if rugby is the game they made in heaven, but on days like yesterday, it sure warms the soul.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
Cracker of a game at Lane Cove yesterday finishing 33-23 with a final try by joeys to seal it in the dying moments. Your heart would be broken if you were going for Iggy's. Played so well, de ja vu of last years game vs scots when they were up 21-0 only to be beaten in the second half. Similar story yesterday. With Wright out injured in the second half joeys played more as a unit, looked very fine. Brilliant first half by the view backline as we've come to say a lot this year. The stunning combination that McGregor and Terry have with their outside backs is a great site.

3. Jack McGregor - in his final game against the rival he made it a big one. Set up his team, made breaks, kicked well in general play and made an absolutely amazing try saver in the first half.
2. Will Terry - week in week out this guy is breaking the like consistently, setting his wingers up and scoring tries.
1. Charlie Rorke - kid is a monster. Positive carries and a mountain of defence. This kid still has 2 more years after this one at the helm.

From Joeys:

3. Gittoes - schoolboy was excellent. Made lots of carried and troubled the defence every time
2. Tom Leaver
Stole the game for the away team with a well read intercept in the dying minutes. Played well thought out the game

1: Nick Wilkinson
Led from the front when Wright went off. Showed a lot of accountability for his team putting them on his back on the early stages of the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
GG, amazing spectacle at View yesterday and agree with your observations.

When you read my match report for the blog (submitted to LG this morning) coincidentally I named Joeys 3, 2, 1 in the same order as you (I also threw #3 Tom Horton in the mix).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah Charlie Rorke had a cracking game; will be one to watch. Any relation to Harry Rorke? He was a goer too.

Anybody know the result of View v Joeys 16As?

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah Charlie Rorke had a cracking game; will be one to watch. Any relation to Harry Rorke? He was a goer too.

Anybody know the result of View v Joeys 16As?

Brothers in fact. They also have another brother in between them in year 12. Was playing scrum half for the 2's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^
Yeah they played well - hope they are not without him for the season though.

Geez - what has happened to McGregor's goal kicking lately??

Byron Williamson

Herbert Moran (7)
^^^^^^
Yeah they played well - hope they are not without him for the season though.

Geez - what has happened to McGregor's goal kicking lately??

Rumour is that it's Wright's ACL.

I noticed McGregor changed his routine and tee yesterday, shanked the first couple, but had some harder kicks later on which he connected nicely, unlucky not to go in

up&under

Frank Nicholson (4)
TAS 24 Kings 3rds 5

Good hard rugby spoilt by cheap shots by Kings players. Attitude of Kings not wanting to come to Armidale was palpable, disrespectful and a disgrace. Only have to come once every two years and could only bring half the normal teams. All the other GPS schools have been tremendous by comparison.

Good hard rugby it was, but it certainly wasn't wrecked by the king's boys. You're clearly misinformed about king's attitude to coming to TAS. They fielded teams all across the age groups, so not sure where you got your info from. Have you thought about the logistics it takes to move all these teams from Sydney? And trying to account for boys to get back to Sydney for the Wallabies game.

How about the attitude from the TAS 1's? When will the coaches and players realise they are playing in the 3rd XV comp? Talk about a chip on shoulders. An illegal clean out, resulting in a badly broken wrist. Plus a blatant kick to the head of the king's fly half. Right in front of the camera, so that should make for good viewing.

Just a short note on the ref. Way off the pace. Hopelessly biased. 12-3 penalty count in the first half. Long way to travel to get blown off the park.

This 3's comp is a shamble. Can't wait for TAS, High and Grammar to disappear into the rugby abyss in 2017. Play in the 1's competition or don't play at all. Don't take satisfaction from beating 3rd XV's.

up&under

Frank Nicholson (4)
I can't comment on the accuracy of this. I wasn't there. The official program shows ten King's teams. Were there some no-shows? The games were clearly very compressed, with all games fitted into just over three hours, with the Thirds/Firsts playing at 10:15. The open King's boys started breakfast at 8:20, twenty minutes after the first games started.

The games were compressed due to an understanding and agreement from both schools to play all fixtures earlier. Both schools were busing boys back to Sydney for the Wallabies game, and also the City 2 Surf which was on today. In regards to the after match function, it was poorly handled by the TAS staff. The game had already run well over time (for some reason, the ref played a 32 minute second half), not to mention the extended stoppage at half time to treat the broken wrist. It's not up to the visiting team to organise the post match function. Attitude goes both ways mate. They couldn't move the boys on fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.