• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
^^^Indeed, even Douglas Haig had a plan.;)

From meat pies (and whatever else forwards eat to ensure that they're the most visibly unattractive beings on the rugby field) to World War One. I'm not at all surprised to see that there's 100 pages on this thread alone. What a forum.

Tips: View, New, Scots.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
From meat pies (and whatever else forwards eat to ensure that they're the most visibly unattractive beings on the rugby field) to World War One. I'm not at all surprised to see that there's 100 pages on this thread alone. What a forum.

Tips: View, New, Scots.

Cash..... Forwards are apex predators and lauded as the majestic beasts of the rugby field.... If people wanted to watch hairdressers they'd be standing with their noses pressed against the windows of their local Just Cuts salon.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Tips
1sts
Riverview( a massive upset if Shore won)
Scots (Close)
Newington ( New too big and strong all over)

3rds
Shore (a massive upset if High won)
Armidale (for the premiership? close but travel may defeat Joeys)
Newington (close)
Riverview ( due for a win and on the improve if they can stop making team changes)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just over 1000 more posts needed to surpass the NSW AAGPS 2014 thread total. That is another 53 pages!

So far this thread has achieved 1985 posts on 100 pages with 309 551 views.

That makes us approx 200000 page views behind last years total.

With 4 more rounds left in 2015, we need to lift our game.:)

Note: This is not a licence to post rubbish or troll just to have a tilt at breaking the "record".

Historically the thread may have peaked in 2013 but the figures are still fairly impressive. While the quantity may be lagging a little this season, the quality of contribution is generally very good with trolls being dealt with rather swiftly.

For the record, the 2014 thread had 3053 posts (153 pages) and 508 490 views, the 2013 thread had 4201 posts (211 pages) and 545 643 views, the 2012 thread had 2796 posts (140 pages) with 479 296 views, the 2011 thread was 1432 posts (72 pages) with 176522 views, and the 2010 thread had just 786 posts (40 pages) with 74123 views.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
In-form 2's stand out performer Oliver Smeallie will get a chance in the 1's this week for view. Came on in the second half vs Joeys and backed himself a nice meat pie (only try scored in the second half by view) interesting to see how he goes against a injury-plagued shore backline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oli is very quick and apparently playing well - Who is he replacing? Do Riverview have some injuries also?

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Pirina is still out who he replaced last week. They have quite a long injury list but that's been the case all year. So I think that should be the only change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Tips
1sts
Riverview( a massive upset if Shore won)
Scots (Close)
Newington ( New too big and strong all over)

3rds
Shore (a massive upset if High won)
Armidale (for the premiership? close but travel may defeat Joeys)
Newington (close)
Riverview ( due for a win and on the improve if they can stop making team changes)

I think the SJ v Armidale match will determine the thirds. Both TAS and SJ will lift if nerves don't get to them It's Old Boys Weekend, so there will be a big crowd. The match is a day highlight. There are local SJ supporters, but the local crowd will be pro TAS. However, SJ has sent eleven teams to Armidale, all the other matches are scheduled to complete before the main match, so SJ should have 150 or so boys cheering them on. It should be a fantastic atmosphere.

My heart says TAS to win, but by all accounts of the SJ team and on the stats SJ has to be favoured. TAS will need to play out of their skins to win, and the boys may be a bit nervous. Wish I could be there!

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think the SJ v Armidale match will determine the thirds. Both TAS and SJ will lift if nerves don't get to them It's Old Boys Weekend, so there will be a big crowd. The match is a day highlight. There are local SJ supporters, but the local crowd will be pro TAS. However, SJ has sent eleven teams to Armidale, all the other matches are scheduled to complete before the main match, so SJ should have 150 or so boys cheering them on. It should be a fantastic atmosphere.

My heart says TAS to win, but by all accounts of the SJ team and on the stats SJ has to be favoured. TAS will need to play out of their skins to win, and the boys may be a bit nervous. Wish I could be there!

Glancing over results of weeks gone by, I think Armidale are a real chance of winning and cracking the 3rds premiership open again. But like you said, they'll have to put on a monstrous performance come Saturday to be any likelihood. Some facts in their favour:

- A 19 point win over Riverview suggests that the Joeys steamtrain may be losing a bit of its momentum. Given, View obviously would've stepped up in what would've been the biggest fixture this year (against their rivals), but Armidale won by 21 against the men from Lane Cove. I know, purely statistical and not a great indicator, but still 21 > 19.
- Injuries in the higher grades (like Wright, King etc.) will mean that Joeys 3rds will have a side most likely reshuffled, and some Thirsties may need to reserve (even play) 2nd grade, i.e. stay in Sydney.
- The home ground advantage will also be an enormous factor that will affect the result. If the game were to be played at Joeys, it's a completely different story.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cash, all good points ... However you overlook the fact that joeys 2nds face a weak scots 2nds ... So the cynic in me, suggests none of those thirsties are going up

Anyway ignore me, should be a great top of the table clash ... And no doubt it will be bit nippy in Armidale, so definitely home ground advantage

Re scots v joeys ... Unless I am mistaken in 1st round 15as didn't match up ... But they are in round 2. Given Kings beat joeys, and scots (2nd semester team) beat kings, maybe their might be a few games other than 1sts where scots are a half chance

Big Fella

Bob McCowan (2)
Cash... Forwards are apex predators and lauded as the majestic beasts of the rugby field.. If people wanted to watch hairdressers they'd be standing with their noses pressed against the windows of their local Just Cuts salon.

Azzuri - how about easing up on the backs. It is a 15 man game!!!!

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Azzuri - how about easing up on the backs. It is a 15 man game!!!!

@ Big Fella....it's actually a 16 man game.

Two teams of 8 men (majestic beasts) locked in mortal combat and hell bent on demonstrating the finer points of the brutal precision required to complete each beautiful set piece.

The forwards only allow the baton twirlers (#9 to 15) to prance onto the paddock (dressage style) as a diversionary tactic and on ground entertainment. Watching their theatrically flamboyant attempts to catch, pass and kick the ball adds an element of levity and completes the entertainment package for the humble spectator.

Post #1503 of this thread will reveal all

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In any rugby fixture there are three groups. There are Rugby Players wearing the numbers 1-8 on their back, Onlookers who are on the field and wear numbers 9-15, and, thanks to Michael Cheika, a bunch of folks called Finishers. The latter group wear number 16-23 on their jumper.

The game is won or lost by the Rugby Players. The Onlookers and Finishers simply determine the magnitude of the victory.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
The game is won or lost by the Rugby Players. The Onlookers and Finishers simply determine the magnitude of the victory.

The forum seems to have been besieged by former forwards desperate to forget their playing day disappointments.
The 'majestic beasts' that Azzuri speaks of were more often overweight beer swilling slobs that limped from scrum to scrum. Glimpses of mediocrity were rare. Training an unnecessary inconvenience.
The stats of most interest to them were the time it took to scull a beer in the bar after the game...
I don't recall too many majestic beasts...
Methinks there are a lot of former forwards now viewing their playing days with a view that is somewhat detached from reality:)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
In any rugby fixture there are three groups. There are Rugby Players wearing the numbers 1-8 on their back, Onlookers who are on the field and wear numbers 9-15, and, thanks to Michael Cheika, a bunch of folks called Finishers. The latter group wear number 16-23 on their jumper.

@ HJ....A perfect way to bring up post 2K!

Status
Not open for further replies.