• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You may think this is fine because the object is victory: you'd be wrong. The object is to expose the strengths of the players selected for the consideration of selectors of teams higher up. whether you approve of the school's rugby program or not and whether you think a game should be won at all costs or not.
Not for the first time,coaches think it's all about them.
Someone needs to tell them, that the measurement of succes for them,is the number of kids in their team that go through to next level.
Not the scoreboard.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
Is Sheldon's second name Jack? We have had a terrible time this year with our #10's (many named Jack) ending up inTeam Rehab. He is in good company joining the likes of Jack Clancy, Jack McGregor, and Connor "Jack" O'Shea from the Under 20's with a season pass to Team Rehab.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for the poor fellow. Not making Aust Schoolboys is not a curse. Less then 1/2 them go on to Wallaby selection, and less than 1/2 the Wallabies were Aust Schoolboys.

Cream will rise to the top. I just don't get the BS that playing in a 3rd XV comp, or playing for a 1st XV at the bottom of the table makes you a bad player.

Most of the AAGPS 2nd XV are playing in the toughest Schoolboy Rugby competition for at least 1000 km in any direction, many from School 1st XVs at the top 1/2 of the table in that tough competition. Fat lot of good that did them today against 2nd rated players from a second rate Schoolboy competition.

Fair Dinkum, some people need to give themselves an uppercut and put their entitled prejudices behind them.

would you happen to have any facts or statistics in regards to how many boys from the gps have made the wallabies side over the years?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Another hallmark of any trial game is selfish and showboating play.

It is all about me, isn't it? Isn't that why Dad/Mum/My Coach told me to wear red headgear?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Agree that Alec Sheldon looked the most dangerous player on the pitch until his terribly unfortunate injury. He is still very young and will be back.

GPS took control in the last 15 minutes due to CAS tiring terribly. That will happen when you train 5 or 6 times a week against opposition who train 2 or 3 times a week. Only Knox train at the level required to compete with GPS boys.

Coaches despicable.

You mean that they are schoolboys doing the HSC and this is just a game?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Only blow ins like you dont know who I am - I've never made any secret of it.
Orpen (who was clearly MOTM for GPS IIs) came on. He had never trained with the backline. Therefore all the fancy plays had to be shelved. Also, because he went to an acceptable school he was not to be shunted onto the wing despite wearing 10 on his back, or pushed from first receiver because the word had gone out: cut the Grammar boys out. People entirely unconnected with Grammar or the player observed it from the stands and commented on it.

The try in which Sheldon was injured involved a break two out from the ruck: where did Wilkinson find his gaps later in the game.

This was not confined to 1s - in Blue v White the Grammar replacement at O/C was told to go to fullback so they could run some secret kings double cut out and avoid the Grammar boy.

You may think this is fine because the object is victory: you'd be wrong. The object is to expose the strengths of the players selected for the consideration of selectors of teams higher up. whether you approve of the school's rugby program or not and whether you think a game should be won at all costs or not.

Although I wasn't there I today I have seen the exact same thing before but it was the Grammar boys in the wrong. Back in 2014 in GPS Blue Joeys outside Tim McCutcheon barely touched the ball as Sheldon and the other Grammar backs choose to run their own moves and continually cut out or dummy too
McCutcheon.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
would you happen to have any facts or statistics in regards to how many boys from the gps have made the wallabies side over the years?

You're new here aren't you?

Of course I have the facts to support that statement. I make this statement about 5 times each year on a variety of threads.

What's more these have been published in an Occasional Paper from the Faculty of Education and Social Work at Sydney University.
https://sydney.edu.au/education_soc...CE-papers/resources/HMHCE_Article_01_2013.pdf

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I thought that I read somewhere that Brad Gill (N) was the GPS 1s coach, but can't find where I read it.

The encyclopaedic brain of HJ may need to be consulted.
Not sure about AAGPS coaches, almost as much secrecy there as the ISA squad.

Brad Gill and others have been appointed NSW Schools coaches. See the first post of the NSW Schools 2016 - Trials and Selections thread for the full list.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Well plan A involved having a Grammar 5/8 who started the first try and set up the second before his season (perhaps career) ending injury.
This was despite the coaches instructing Wilkinson (captain and #12) not to let said Grammar 5/8 play at first receiver. This led to the farcical situation of having 2 first receivers - no one took the Grammar player into their confidence on this issue.
Needless to say those first 2 tries came when Wilkinson was not in at first receiver.
if you don't like the team you've been given by the selectors the manly thing to do is resign not play games with schoolboys and certainly not without telling them.
Very very poor form.
As events transpired even poorer rugby judgment.
If this is correct, the coaches in question should hang their heads in shame. What a moment of elation it must have been for Sheldon to learn of his selection and what an utterly wrenching disappointment it must have been to discover this was the reaction of men he trusted in and looked up to. Don't ever invite them back.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Although I wasn't there I today I have seen the exact same thing before but it was the Grammar boys in the wrong. Back in 2014 in GPS Blue Joeys outside Tim McCutcheon barely touched the ball as Sheldon and the other Grammar backs choose to run their own moves and continually cut out or dummy too
McCutcheon.

That would be a fantastic observation but for the fact that he was the only Grammar boy in Blue. The other Grammar boys were all in white. Both 10s on both days were from Grammar.
The other problem is that Prindiville on the wing got so many opportunities on day 1 he was IIs by day 2.
Next.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
That would be a fantastic observation but for the fact that he was the only Grammar boy in Blue. The other Grammar boys were all in white. Both 10s on both days were from Grammar.
The other problem is that Prindiville on the wing got so many opportunities on day 1 he was IIs by day 2.
Next.

Maybe it wasn't Sheldon at 10 but it was still 3 Grammar players involved and they still moved McCutcheon out of position without coaches knowledge. I'm sure Joeys boys have done it before aswell but I've seen it happen from Grammar so no ones immune. Anyway tough injury for Sheldon who has carried Grammar for the past three years, and best wishes to them in the 3rds comp. I'm sure Wilkinson and Orphen will do well in the coming weeks, putting on 36 unanswered points in a rep game takes some skill, regardless of how "tired" the other team are.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Maybe it wasn't Sheldon at 10 but it was still 3 Grammar players involved and they still moved McCutcheon out of position without coaches knowledge.

I think you have missed the point: this was apparently done by the coaches.
However, since the Grammar boys in the colour opposite to that worn by Sheldon in 2014 at whom i now understand your attack is directed were the 10, the 8 and one of the wingers I'm struggling to see how those cut out plays would work.
Perhaps you should explain them to Cheika we sure need some innovation there.

R

Runpasstackle

Bit harsh considering those coaches have more experience than all the selectors combined. Coaching at all levels.
Selectors have there own agendas. Nothing new. Don't think u can blame coaches.
Selectors were calling the shots.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Bit harsh considering those coaches have more experience than all the selectors combined. Coaching at all levels.
Do you know who the selectors are?
If you think your personal opinions trump the 8 appointed selectors then coaching scratch teams in schoolboy trials is something you should avoid.
The smart thing to do would have been to let the Grammar boys fail on their own merits.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Agreed. If the coaches did decide the exclude Sheldon without his knowledge, which I am skeptical of, then that's very poor form. However if they believe the team functioned better with Wilkinson at 10 and that's how they trained then that's fair enough, they are the coaches and should be able to call
themselves.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Agreed. If the coaches did decide the exclude Sheldon without his knowledge, which I am skeptical of, then that's very poor form. However if they believe the team functioned better with Wilkinson at 10 and that's how they trained then that's fair enough, they are the coaches and should be able to call
themselves.

that is not how they trained.
You must be quite a cyclist - at least when back-pedalling

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
that is not how they trained.
You must be quite a cyclist - at least when back-pedalling

I stand by what I saw 3 years ago which is the point I initially made. I never supported what the coaches apparently did, just simply believe that's not what happened. I don't have an agenda against Sheldon or Grammar either, in fact I'd rather see a Grammar boy at 10 for Schoolboys then from any other of the GPS schools I didn't attend.

R

Runpasstackle

do you think they know what they're doing?

Doesn't matter what anyone thinks of the selections. One mans opinion. Point being they were calling the shots. Coaches were hamstrung what they could do. If they want to coach as well. Front up. Don't through coaches under the bus without knowing.

By the way we're u running water at training to know what plays the 1s were running ???? Creepy

Status
Not open for further replies.