• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Newington College v Trinity Grammar School

1st XV NC 48 beat Trinity 5
2nd XV NC 57 beat Trinity 5

16As NC 71 bTrinity 12
15As NC 22 b Trinty 12
14As NC 43 b Trinity 10
13As NC 21 b Trinity 5

I should have elaborated previously that Trinity played hard, skilful and determined rugby in all games, irrespective of the results. In the seconds New were leading 50-0 with 4 minutes to go. Only to have this brave Trinity side score in the corner. Equally, in the Firsts the score was 48-0 in favour of Newington, only, again to have a brave Trinity side to score in the last minutes of the game

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Newington College v Trinity Grammar School

1st XV NC 48 beat Trinity 5
2nd XV NC 57 beat Trinity 5

16As NC 71 bTrinity 12
15As NC 22 b Trinty 12
14As NC 43 b Trinity 10
13As NC 21 b Trinity 5

Scots v Waverley -

1sts 47-10 Scots
2nds 55-7 Scots
3rds 33-12 Scots

The gap between GPS and CAS schools seems wider than ever, no doubt much to the chagrin of folk on the CAS thread. Note also the Joeys demolition of Knox at the start of the season.

S

sidelineview

The gap between GPS and CAS schools seems wider than ever, no doubt much to the chagrin of folk on the CAS thread. Note also the Joeys demolition of Knox at the start of the season.

I think it is well accepted that the GPS Opens competition is a higher standard than that of CAS, but to use results of trial matches to beat one's chest is a bit silly. In fact, it's a really bad attempt at chest-beating.

First of all you need to know how many players were missing from each team; and then you need to consider how many substitutes were used during the game.

By definition a trial match is exactly that. Coaches use the game to prepare their teams for the competition proper. Getting carried away with the results of these games to prove ''the gap between GPS and CAS seems wider'' seems to be opportunistic and an attempt to score some cheap points.

To cite any theatre or banter on the CAS thread as a reason for this "ever widening gap" is even sillier. Your post could be seen as vexatious.

It is also a broad sweeping conclusion that doesnt take into consideration the fluctuating fortunes of each individual school and the strength of the relevant Association from year to year.

I cant comment on the Trinity-New game but i know there were quite a few Waverley players missing from their game. I'm not sure if Scots were at full strength or not.

The following is an excerpt from an unofficial match report of the game posted on the CAS thread. Take it any way you want:
Scots lead 12-5 at half time and I can without a doubt in my mind say the first half was the best half of Schoolboy rugby I have ever seen. Huge hits, linebreaks, back and forth at each other. Waverley started subbing some starters off in the 2nd and that's when it got messy ......
This may have to be added to the equation.

To further prove the GPS Opens comp is stronger, there were twice as many GPS players than CAS players in the NSW teams, although out of the best team of the Championships, the NSW2s, all of the 5 CAS players were also members of the victorious CAS U16s team that defeated GPS in the Final in 2014. The best team won on that day as did the NSW2s in 2016. It just happened to be a good crop of players who knew how to win.

This year's CAS U16s team gave GPS a good run for their money, which again didn't illustrate a ''widening gap'' between the two Associations at that level.
As to why the gap does widen in the Opens, this has been discussed ad nauseum in the past.

I should also mention that CAS 2s defeated GPS2s this year and even though the GPS1s ended up running away with the game, CAS1s were anything but disgraced and proved to be very competitive.

Are you sure you didn't mean to write ''seems narrower than ever''

Short Ball

Allen Oxlade (6)
@Sidelineview if you had the best interests of CAS rugby in mind you wouldn't be justify the poor results of CAS schools against GPS schools. There is a widening gap and the issue won't be solved until people stop denying it and muster up some effort to fix it. Every school suffers the same issues in preseason. Additionally blaming large CAS losses in trials against GPS schools on the reasons stated above completely undermines the opposition.

I think you will find most people here would like to see CAS rugby more competitive, suggesting that a gap is widening is not "chest-beating" but rather suggesting a large issue is afoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Does anyone have Grammar's results against, I think they played Alloy's. I suspect here a CAS School might have done a greater deal better than a GPS School. If not then maybe Grammar's Rugby comparatively speaking, is a lot better than we are lead to believe.

S

sidelineview

No chest beating, just a simple observation made on facts. :)

Facts you conveniently highlight. did you read about the other facts?

The results of trial matches should not be taken seriously when teams are not at full strength and coach's are giving players a run.
To lunge at these results to prove some sort of concrete point of supremacy is ridiculous.
The results of the CAS v GPS U16s over the last 3 years plus the results of GPS v CAS in the Opens this year hardly gives anyone from GPS an excuse to beat their chest.
As i said, it is accepted that the standard of the GPS comp is higher but high enough to claim bragging rights ? Yeah, OK. If you really need it.

The same type of bragging was evident on this forum before this year's U16s and Opens NSW Trials .... all based on school trial form.
But after, when the ''widening gap'' was not very wide at all, the braggarts were strangely silent or looking for excuses.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Does anyone have Grammar's results against, I think they played Alloy's. I suspect here a CAS School might have done a greater deal better than a GPS School. If not then maybe Grammar's Rugby comparatively speaking, is a lot better than we are lead to believe.

My Apologies I believe Grammar might have played Cranbrook

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Facts you conveniently highlight. did you read about the other facts?

The results of the CAS v GPS U16s .

I was at the 2014 GPS v CAS U16 game so I'm not sure why people are still dining out on a 2 point win against the run of play that was sealed almost on the bell. Pot, Kettle, Black, if you are talking about boasting!

S

sidelineview

@Sidelineview if you had the best interests of CAS rugby in mind you wouldn't be justify the poor results of CAS schools against GPS schools. There is a widening gap and the issue won't be solved until people stop denying it and muster up some effort to fix it. Every school suffers the same issues in preseason. Additionally blaming large CAS losses in trials against GPS schools on the reasons stated above completely undermines the opposition.

I think you will find most people here would like to see CAS rugby more competitive, suggesting that a gap is widening is not "chest-beating" but rather suggesting a large issue is afoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where have you been? The discussion re why GPS become more dominant in the Opens age group as compared to U16s has been discussed ad nauseum. It has also been discussed on another thread concerning sporting scholarships.

I dont have a problem admitting the standard of the GPS competition is higher than that of CAS. It is a fact. However, taking results of trial matches and pinning them on your chest sounds a little desperate.

CAS rugby overall is very competitive when you look at the results of the Opens NSW trials this year; as well as the U16s results. Denying these results undermines the overall standard of CAS rugby.

The CAS U16s made the Final this year and were narrowly defeated by GPS.
In the Opens, CAS2s defeated GPS2s and the CAS1s were competitive even though GPS ran away with the game.

Looking at it from that point of view hardly suggests a wide gap.

S

sidelineview

I was at the 2014 GPS v CAS U16 game so I'm not sure why people are still dining out on a 2 point win against the run of play that was sealed almost on the bell. Pot, Kettle, Black, if you are talking about boasting!

And I'm not sure why anyone would deny it was a great victory. Along with this year's U16s results, it helps to confirm the difference between GPS and CAS is narrow at that level.

And it wasn't against the run of play at all. The winning try was scored by the CAS flyhalf from a scrum on the GPS 22. GPS had field position and possession and it looked all over, but CAS stole it off them.

Just stating facts.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
And I'm not sure why anyone would deny it was a great victory. Along with this year's U16s results, it helps to confirm the difference between GPS and CAS is narrow at that level.

And it wasn't against the run of play at all. The winning try was scored by the CAS flyhalf from a scrum on the GPS 22. GPS had field position and possession and it looked all over, but CAS stole it off them.

Just stating facts.
Thanks for confirming my facts.... Yes CAS stole the game in the dying minutes when it had been all GPS. Facts are a two edged sword

S

sidelineview

Thanks for confirming my facts.. Yes CAS stole the game in the dying minutes when it had been all GPS. Facts are a two ended sword

Sorry, i should clarify. Let's reminisce .....

GPS were ahead towards the end of the game but the difference in the scoreline was less than 7 points, so no, it hadn't been ''all GPS''. It was a close game and a good contest. a really good game of rugby.

With GPS holding field position and possession, CAS gained the advantage to advance the ball to the GPS 22 line. A scrum was set, CAS feed ..... a long pass to the number 10; he broke through the defence to score under the posts !!!
Try converted ... CAS won on the bell.

I cant remember the exact score, can you? it was close but the best team won on the day.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Sorry, i should clarify. Let's reminisce ...

GPS were ahead towards the end of the game but the difference in the scoreline was less than 7 points, so no, it hadn't been ''all GPS''. It was a close game and a good contest. a really good game of rugby.

With GPS holding field position and possession, CAS gained the advantage to advance the ball to the GPS 22 line. A scrum was set, CAS feed ... a long pass to the number 10; he broke through the defence to score under the posts !!!
Try converted . CAS won on the bell.

I cant remember the exact score, can you? it was close but the best team won on the day.

How is it that you can't remember the score but remember the excruciating detail of the play that preceded it?. Anyhow the exact score can easily be found in the records. Seem to recall it was 2 points. Hardly a dominant or emphatic win, but to the victor go the spoils. Still nothing to be dining out on two years later or to be using as evidence of a narrowing of the gap between CAS and GPS.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)

Just stating facts.

Wouldn't that suggest that CAS had both field position and possession?

S

sidelineview

The exact score can easily be found in the records. Seem to recall it was 2 points. Hardly a dominant or emphatic win, but to the victor go the spoils. Still nothing to be dining out on two years later or to be using as evidence of a narrowing of the gap between CAS and GPS.

But a well deserved win nevertheless. Credit where credit is due.
And had GPS won that day, it wouldn't have been an emphatic win either; but they didnt win. It was a close game and highly entertaining.

Still ..... it's part of the big picture concerning results over recent years that does not support the boast that the gap between CAS and GPS rugby is widening.

I think individual schools within the GPS comp are generally speaking, stronger than CAS schools but when the resources are pooled and CAS Rep teams compete against GPS Rep teams, the ''gap'' doesn't look wide at all.

Also, the fortunes of each school and Association do fluctuate from year to year.

Status
Not open for further replies.