• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought Shore forwards were very strong. Certainly big boopers. Luckily today the Kings pack had their measure but no doubt in my mind that Shore will snare a scalp or two before the end of the season.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
little discussion about the joeys vs newington game on here. thought more people would be talking about how the newington prop scored a hat trick and set up the only other try scored by newington today

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought Shore was fortunate to be down 8 nil at halftime playing into the wind. Shore has 2 forwards of note, Edwards who went off injured after 30 min and Suttor. The rest are determined but small. Kings tight 5 led ably by Pietsch were to clinical, despite the wet. And Kyle Brown the Kings half is like an extra forward and was bigger than the Shore no8.
The difference was in the backs. Brown's distribution gave Kings 10 time & space and with Osborne chiming in at 15 Shore were always under pressure. Osborne's booming punt is also useful.
The wet track stifled the opportunities for Rixon (Shore 15). His speed is clear but today was not a day for quicks.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Second round clash between Joeys and Shore could have the unwanted prize up for grabs.

Not sure what you refer to.
E are odds on favourite for POTY.
Can not recall N even having a Pie option. Even though J entry for POTY is a basic commercial product, an entry must trump no entry.

IMHO New may have the unwanted prize of POTY wooden spoon locked down.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
I was wondering when the issue of New not having an entry in the POTY may raise it's ugly head. They sought to fly under the radar by using the "Big Newie" as a smoke screen.

However there is no fooling the POTY judges who are all astute Pieoligists. I thought View may have a contender with their POTY aspiratant named the "Chunky Beef" but it too failed the test, with its orange coloured gravy and filling made from chicken lips and old toe nails.
Newington make up for not serving pies by being the only school in the GPS to serve gozleme as an alternative.

Jean Pierre Rives

Frank Row (1)
Scots didn't play their best, struggling in the wet conditions.
Riverview adapted better and played really well.
They thoroughly deserved the win.
Proves that anyone is beatable when they're not 'on song' and their opponents are.
Touché with the firsts. Riverveiw 2nds played the strategically sensible way and realised that they had to play the game in the pigs. No 99.95 ATAR needed there. Scots seconds and Riverviews 1sts unfortunately believed otherwise and learnt the lesson that certain conditions call for 10 man, or indeed 8 man rugby. Watching riverview 1sts back line today was like watching a psychopath doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different outcome every time. They could have and should have won that game but completely stuffed it. Not taking anything away from Scot because their defense was outstanding. I'm sure that a lot of Scots supporters today think that they dodged a bullet. But good on them they won in crazy conditions.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
little discussion about the joeys vs newington game on here. thought more people would be talking about how the newington prop scored a hat trick and set up the only other try scored by newington today

New played the conditions much better than Joeys. The fact that a prop scored 3 tries and set up the other one reinforces the point. Joeys seemed not to adjust their game to the conditions at all. They turned down at least 3 kickable penalties in the first half, before finally taking one. Could have conceivably had a 12-0 lead instead of a 3-0 lead when the New YC occurred. They finally scored a well worked backline try, but 10-0 was never going to be enough with that gale behind them. To make matters worse, New scored right on half time to make it 10-7. For what it's worth, I also thought that New spread it wide too often, when what was proven on the day to be the tactics were to kick long with the wind and not put the ball past 10 much at all.

I must also add that the field at Joeys was in magnificent condition considering the weather. No mud or even puddles.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kings won seconds and thirds were cancelled
I should have read @Azzurri's post a little more closely. Previous posts have been amended.

Not sure what will happen in the event of a cancellation or postponement. I suspect that the match will be ruled as a 0-0 draw.

It is not like SRU or Subbies where mid week and Sunday games are played for catching up on deferred fixtures.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Wet & windy conditions difficult for players and cameraman; Riverview 2ndXV take the ball upfield and burrow over for the only try of the game, defeating Scots 2nds 10-0.

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
I thought Shore was fortunate to be down 8 nil at halftime playing into the wind. Shore has 2 forwards of note, Edwards who went off injured after 30 min and Suttor. The rest are determined but small. Kings tight 5 led ably by Pietsch were to clinical, despite the wet. And Kyle Brown the Kings half is like an extra forward and was bigger than the Shore no8.
The difference was in the backs. Brown's distribution gave Kings 10 time & space and with Osborne chiming in at 15 Shore were always under pressure. Osborne's booming punt is also useful.
The wet track stifled the opportunities for Rixon (Shore 15). His speed is clear but today was not a day for quicks.

Kings were reasonably dominant over Shore. conditions were diabolical. Kings tight 5 were good but their back row is average. The only other obvious weakness is their wingers don't always tackle. Last week View exploited both areas. Shore weren't good enough to do it this week. Against the better sides todays K 6,7,8 will need play out of their skin. Perhaps harsh - I appreciate they are only schoolboys. Agree with comment about the 9-he is bigger, faster with more skill than the 6,7,8 - could be a rep player and play after school. It will be interesting to see if the K15 is picked in the gps sides. So tall with a massive boot. Runs like Black Caviar. He was one that sometimes ran too sideways today but carved them up when he straightened.
It appeared that shore knocked on just before scoring their only try? Good luck to Shore against Joeys in Rd2. Joeys as equal wooden spooners is difficult to contemplate. Kings will be hard to beat at home but still need to play Scots away. Joeys also won't be easy for Kings at HH.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
I should have read @Azzurri's post a little more closely. Previous posts have been amended.

Not sure what will happen in the event of a cancellation or postponement. I suspect that the match will be ruled as a 0-0 draw.

It is not like SRU or Subbies where mid week and Sunday games are played for catching up on deferred fixtures.
HJ, am not qualified here, at all, but a note came out earlier today from one school that if a game was cancelled due to "safety" issues, then it'd be "replayed".
Have not the first clue what rules govern such a "replay" fixture, but given the 3's running behind the trend-setting TAS, are about as tight as a fishie's pucker, then maybe that particular H v K fixture will get some kind of laudatory mid-week run? (So maybe hold all tips on that game in the 'suspense account' until more is known. And by that I do not refer to any Sportsbet action!)

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
I was wondering when the issue of New not having an entry in the POTY may raise it's ugly head. They sought to fly under the radar by using the "Big Newie" as a smoke screen.

However there is no fooling the POTY judges who are all astute Pieoligists. I thought View may have a contender with their POTY aspiratant named the "Chunky Beef" but it too failed the test, with its insipid orange coloured gravy and filling made from chicken lips and old toe nails. Not one chunk of chunky beef or any other dead animal to be found.
I arrived at Northbridge very late today and it was clear that not only did kings have a lead over shore, Azzuri had already asserted his dominance over the canteen. All the pies were gone and I had to settle for a sausage roll. I hadn't previously observed the lower grades in POTY but the shore sausage roll is a very strong contender in the second grade POTY.
Congratulations Azzuri, no doubt your win over the canteen inspired the Kings team to their win.

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
HJ, am not qualified here, at all, but a note came out earlier today from one school that if a game was cancelled due to "safety" issues, then it'd be "replayed".
Have not the first clue what rules govern such a "replay" fixture, but given the 3's running behind the trend-setting TAS, are about as tight as a fishie's pucker, then maybe that particular H v K fixture will get some kind of laudatory mid-week run? (So maybe hold all tips on that game in the 'suspense account' until more is known. And by that I do not refer to any Sportsbet action!)
Yes, I believe that those games will be played once the weather clears up or failing that once the boys concerned have had the necessary extra swimming training to cope with the current conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.