• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I reckon you're right, and the same for Grammar.
Either school (not that historically TAS played in it) could say they wanted back into the 1st XV comp tomorrow. There would be all sorts of nice Intellectual property issues if anyone tried to stop them, too.
I dont think moving up to 1sts would be a good move for grammar. Doing well in 3rd comp but big step up to 1sts comp. Dont think the headmaster or kirk would endorse the change in culture required to compete.
Better to stay in 3rd comp and let the boys win some games and have some fun.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
After 15 games of round 1, Shore Newington and Joeys have won 3 games between them. Those sides are starting to look threatening and this competition may well be decided, not on the form of the top three, but on who ran into the bottom three when they turned up to play.

Agreed. With no one wanting the big wooden spoon on their resumé the motivation to give one of the top three teams a touch up could not be any greater. Couple that with the the fact that the bottom three teams have many X factor players and its well within the realms of possibility that there will be more "upsets" in the second half of the season. Guaranteed to have most of the coaching staff reaching for the Grecian 2000.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I dont think moving up to 1sts would be a good move for grammar. Doing well in 3rd comp but big step up to 1sts comp. Dont think the headmaster or kirk would endorse the change in culture required to compete.

No - they would never do it: there are litigation implications for them, too.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can someone please explain to me how jacob patmore is in joeys 3rds when he was tipped as a chance of ones at the start of season, and he was in 3rds last year.

Or is it a case that if you are too old you can only play 3rds?

Totally agree newington is going to make 2nd round very interesting

If they don't take some big scalps I will be amazed

To me they have 4 players that are likely to make nsw 1s

And with their backline reconfigured I think they are ready to rumble

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Can someone please explain to me how jacob patmore is in joeys 3rds when he was tipped as a chance of ones at the start of season, and he was in 3rds last year.

My understanding is, If you are Too Old, you can not play at all.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)

@SDW, going 2 from 2 to 'close out' the front half of the season, reckon it's fair to say those New boys are a'rumbl'n already! Playing away at Kings to kick off the back half of the season should be a cracker of a game. Azzuri might have to calm his nerves with more than the standard 2x foot-long 'dogs. ;)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
@SDW, going 2 from 2 to 'close out' the front half of the season, reckon it's fair to say those New boys are a'rumbl'n already! Playing away at Kings to kick off the back half of the season should be a cracker of a game. Azzuri might have to calm his nerves with more than the standard 2x foot-long 'dogs. ;)

No nerves at this end. Just anticipation! I can't speak for the lads but I'm sure they are chomping at the bit to have another crack at New.

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
Kings v Shore -

The Kings pack, in the scrum at least, were quite dominant over their opposition. Without the U19 law, suggest their would have been a number of tightheads to Kings. The Shore prop before the concussion was playing very well and happy for him to be vying for a rep jersey with Cutler from Riverview. Happy to go with the opinions about Kings back row but thought the #7 Ryan played well. Kings have a habit of going for mobility in their scrum over size but the 2nds prop who came on in the 1sts after a rampaging MOTM game in the seconds has put the coaches on notice and looks like he is cut from Grecian marble as his background suggests. I though Osborne and Rixon all but blotted each other out as they matched each other for pace but much the case across the backs except Orpen for Kings who does a good Nathan Grey impersonation with his direct running. Osborne's first half one he may like to forget with a couple of unusual errors for him. The Shoreman I sat next to was wondering why their #9 was having an off game before realising he was a late replacement for Haskins. The referee was a class act. Think he is our main man bound for the Olympic Sevens to officiate. Great to have those sort of guys doing premier schoolboys. Good
crowd considering the weather and the support showed by both schools made it a great day. Great to see all the Aloy boys getting their rugby fix for the day in the crowd.

I was close enough to over hear some comments from the Kings' coaches on Saturday - you didn't have to be that close! It was very interesting for several reasons but one was that during the second qtr they were clearly upset with being ahead by only 1 try. They wanted the forwards to straighten and 7 was getting a lashing. I'm not disagreeing with your view on him - I like him because he has plenty of speed but he does try to use it and run around people. If the 7 is reading this forum, don't be disheartened because there were many forwards getting a tongue lashing including the man mountain #4. I think Kings generally should have been more direct - easy to say from the sideline. Sometimes it's the high physicality from your opposition which makes you run a bit sideways so perhaps credit to Shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I'm sure that Grammar would like to be back in 1st XV, but with the current playing depth there I don't think it's feasible.

New Headmaster in 2017, we'll have to see what happens, but I'd imagine it would be 5 years minimum before they could realistically play 1st XV GPS level.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm sure that Grammar would like to be back in 1st XV, but with the current playing depth there I don't think it's feasible.

New Headmaster in 2017, we'll have to see what happens, but I'd imagine it would be 5 years minimum before they could realistically play 1st XV GPS level.
Agree. I dont think it will happen in the forseeable future if ever. New head might change things a bit but sgs will never go to the dark side

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)

Which 4 Newington boys do you believe will make GPS 1sts?

Jean Pierre Rives

Frank Row (1)
Agree @ GPSO. Newington are my smokeys to cause some level of havoc on the Premiership table through Round 2, with Kings next up to face that particular music, albeit with the benefit of home ground advantage.

100% if they can sort their defence out. Second best points for, after Iggies and worst against. New is obviously competitive but do they have a discipline problem? Not from an infringement perspective but from getting in and doing the hard yards in defence.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
100% if they can sort their defence out. Second best points for, after Iggies and worst against. New is obviously competitive but do they have a discipline problem? Not from an infringement perspective but from getting in and doing the hard yards in defence.
Agree @JPR. Newington have not yet failed to score any fewer than 4 tries in any match so far, win or lose, so clearly it ain't their offense that's put them mid-table at the turn. That they've leaked an average of 31pts per game across the first 5 matches says much, but they have started to sharpen up that defensive average in their two most recent games. Hence my Round 2 'smokey' call on them. ;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I'm told that the heat of the the first 3 weeks played a part. Those games were played in 26-29 degrees and it really affected the big boppas. No co-incidence that they've come good in the cooler weather - they were certainly in their element in the wind and rain last Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.