• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
This is not easy and I agree with everything u say. We have to get soccer off campus on Saturday. No easy feat. The best place is Tempe. One of my boys plays soccer and it's a good area. I heard with council New were putting in an all purpose pitch down there. Then we use the Buchanan as a one normal size field and run the 15s and 16s on it so 8 games or so. The Buchanan used to be the main rugby field. Do the same for the old boys and run the 13s and 14s on it. This gives us three full size footy fields to train and play on.

While the expense would not be great the hardest thing would be working with soccer. Until that is achieved we can't do anything. We have to sell this to soccer as a good thing.

Any way just a thought! But if you don't ask you don't receive!

Thanks for for views RG,only time will tell

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Getting off-topic resolving Newington's Rugby "woes", and having seen the game last Saturday, those "woes" don't reach up to the 1's, I'll offer up some puffery instead.

Leading Try-scorers - A 1st XV update, post-Round 8

8: Yassim (S), Rorke (I)
7: McTaggart (J), Day (J)
6: Smeallie (I), Duvall, H (N)
5: Pietsch (K), Turner (N), Reilly (J)

Some serious attacking "weaponry" listed in here.

Three of the four leaders are Back 3 players; typically, as you'd expect. That two of the four leaders are from the same school, Joeys; that's not nearly quite so 'typical'!

Charlie Rorke (I) and Dylan Pietsch (K) are the only forwards making this 'Top 9' list. They are also both of their Schools' leading try-scorers, so especial kudos to them.

For devotees of all things Apex Predators, and you know you are Azzuri, Opeti Helu (N) on 4 tries for the Season so far, remains the leading try-scoring Front-Rower.

17 year old Reilly was out for a couple of games due to broken cheekbone and missed any chance of playing reps this year, but his turn will come in 2017. He had played strong the last two games and I would expect that he will add to the try tally these last two games.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This is not easy and I agree with everything u say. We have to get soccer off campus on Saturday. No easy feat. The best place is Tempe. One of my boys plays soccer and it's a good area. I heard with council New were putting in an all purpose pitch down there. Then we use the Buchanan as a one normal size field and run the 15s and 16s on it so 8 games or so. The Buchanan used to be the main rugby field. Do the same for the old boys and run the 13s and 14s on it. This gives us three full size footy fields to train and play on.

While the expense would not be great the hardest thing would be working with soccer. Until that is achieved we can't do anything. We have to sell this to soccer as a good thing.

You do realise that there are more soccer teams at the school than there are rugby teams?

I'd suggest that there is zero chance of "getting soccer off campus". It's actually a school, not a rugby academy.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
17 year old Reilly was out for a couple of games due to broken cheekbone and missed any chance of playing reps this year, but his turn will come in 2017. He had played strong the last two games and I would expect that he will add to the try tally these last two games.
If I had some coin going on the AAGPS SportsBet Leading Try-scorer App, proceeds seed-capitalising the new Hyperbaric Chamber in the new New High Performance Centre, I'd have a spread on all of these 9 leading try-scoreres + Opeti "Apex" Helu, to add to their Season's tallies.
Facts are facts, and then there's just lies, damn lies and statistics (And the stats don't often 'lie' that often!) ;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
One of the leading try-scorers may (should!) miss an opportunity to add to his tally this weekend after a petulant post-match display on Saturday. I would expect his school to sit him out for at least a week as a demonstration to the player, his teammates and to other schools of their commitment to good sportsmanship.

Agree, but I wouldn't be holding my breath on it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And let's end the speculation and further specific comment on that incident there.

The school in question will take whatever action they deem necessary and appropriate.

That action may not align with our expectations and level of indignation.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Or you could just knock the whole joint down and build Twickenham at Stanmore and do away with the idea of education, let alone choice in what sport(s) one plays

Newington may not be Sydney Grammar, but scholarship is taken very seriously at the school,as shown by the introduction of the IB. In order to develop a more focused academic climate at the school, I believe the reintroduction of large scale boarding ( Particularly in Years 11& 12) be one priority at Newington as it reduces travelling time from school to home. I know from personal experience travelling from Stanmore to my then home at Epping, just eroded my desire to study.

If I finished training at 5.30 it would take two hours to get home. At 7.30 PM I was not in a mood for prolonged and effective study. Needless to say I spent my university days as a college resident at UNE, Robb College to be precise. My studies benefitted enormously from living on campus, as the tyranny of travel was removed.

So my passion for excellent and multiple playing fields is balanced by a strong professional belief to have an equally excellent academic climate. Which largely exists already but can always be improved.

The issue for Newington is to project a holistic and balanced approach to education. Hence, sporting grounds and the learning environment go together. Scholarship and Sportsman can coexist but achieving that balance can be difficult

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
are all the Newington fields under-size? hard to tell if the main field is in fact too small ... certainly that drop-off in one corner is a HAZARD

any word on Tyrone ... IMHO if he plays Shore is unlikely to get a 2nd win on the trot

presumably Rixon won't be back until Aussie Schools ... or does he need to prove his shoulder is OK?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^
Having seen the Black & White force alive on the weekend, I agree with those before me in not changing a winning combo, but >
Considering Tyrone's come-back, and whatever the medico's say really is gospel, whether he's liking it or not, he'd be a 'special' wouldn't he, coming in off the bench into the thick of it for the last 15'-20'? (Injury replacement, of course. ;))

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)

Why not rent the Shore soccer fields at Northbridge? They would come with a barely used Grandstand.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Newington may not be Sydney Grammar, but scholarship is taken very seriously at the school
So my passion for excellent and multiple playing fields is balanced by a strong professional belief to have an equally excellent academic climate. Which largely exists already but can always be improved.

The issue for Newington is to project a holistic and balanced approach to education. Hence, sporting grounds and the learning environment go together. Scholarship and Sportsman can coexist but achieving that balance can be difficult

I was bagging you not the school.
What is holistic and balanced about shunting the soccer off to outside fields and not recognising the simple fact of life that New's demographic (as did/does Grammar's) prefers soccer - even though the skill with which it is played is deplorable at every level of GPS soccer I have had the misfortune to endure.
Part of the problem is the WASP/Anglo Celtic adherance to a bygone era. Australia has changed and, except for Shore, so have the GPS schools. if rugby doesn't deal with that change it will continue to struggle and things will get worse.
Forcing rugby on people who want to play soccer is not the way.

JuanBarn

Herbert Moran (7)
Not in straight said:
What? Shore hasn't accommodated Soccer??

That's what I thought. Aren't "D, F and G" grounds setup as soccer pitches. "G and F" at least when not being used as overflow car parking. Proper dimensions and all. Was certainly soccer being played when I visited last weekend. 0-0 when I stopped by for a look. Exciting stuff. o_O

First phase

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is this the soccer thread?
Down the road from Northbridge at Willoughby Aloys play Barker first 15's on main oval at 3.15pm .. curtain raiser the firsts soccer at 1.30pm on main oval and second 15's at 12.15pm.

Won't be long till rugby playing at Willoughby Park and the soccer teams have the main oval all to themselves

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
NO - the student body still looks as Anglo Celtic as it did in the 70's

One of my sons reckoned he had a lot Oriental boys in his year, so we went to his previous class photo (200+ boys) - I didn't need to take off my shoes to count them :cool: - sorry for digression and back to this weekend - Shore to win with big home town crowd behind them - The Mark/Mike Hawker Stand will be overflowing.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
@NIS, you have one objective that you have still failed to meet this season and that is to provide the name and address of the Shore Pie supplier.

Given that next year I will not be stalking the GPS canteens on Saturdays I need to know where I can get a ready supply to take to colts games rather that being forced to endure the stomach wrenching, commercial quality slop being peddled at most grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.