• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CHS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Without diminishing the efforts of the boys in NZ, the best CHS players from NSW go across to NZ and they get beaten by the 1st XV from a school of 900 students (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otago_Boys_High_School).

Doesn't say much for our overall rugby development model.:(

It should be added (to put this into perspective) that Otago BHS made it to the finals of the Top 4 NZ Schools tournament and came 3rd or 4th.
There must be some pretty decent footy players among those 900 boys!

The CHS team will be richer from the experience in the Shaky Isles. Good to see that they won 3 games, and only lost to one of NZ's top 4 Rugby Schools.

I think that the 2010 Schools Test that was televised live here was held at Otago Boys High. Nice looking School with a good footy oval.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think unfortunately it shows that rugby is in serious decline in the CHS system, as evidenced by the Waratah Shield entries. You'll notice that Narrabeen Sports High, in the heart of rugby territory on the peninsula is not in the Waratah Shield and I'm told that rugby is behind league, soccer, touch and aussie rules in the pecking order. This is the school that produced Luke Holmes, Pek Cowan and numerous 1st grade players.

This has been 20 years in the making and a number of factors are at play:

- decline in enrolments in the state system, particularly in traditional rugby areas
- changing student demographic
- many of the fine teachers/coaches who taught at CHS schools have either been promoted away from school level, have retired, are nearing retirement, are at a school where there is no rugby or have just plain run out of energy
- younger rugby orientated teachers are sought after in the private system
- it's easier for overworked and under-resourced sports masters/principals to play sports like touch football, soccer, basketball, which are much easier to organise and find coaches for
-as CHS Wednesday competitions collapsed, many rugby oriented students went to the private system
- Dept of Education not really that interested - they don't care which sports are played in their schools as long as someone is doing something
- NSWRU not pro-active in seeing this coming (I was banging on about it 20 years ago and people at grass roots could see it, but no-one in the decision making positions could)

Realistically, colts is the only place for these boys to get top quality competition each week. Which nicely dovetails into HJ's idea about 16s and up being part of the colts set up.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ARU (and NSWRU) needs to stop deluding itself that rugby is growing in NSW, based on some pretty shaky figures that are included in their annual report. ( A separate thread has been established for this).

Somehow make the ARU grants to Shute Shield clubs dependent on the number of genuine rugby teams regularly participating in competitions within their catchment area. More U16-U18 teams playing, more money - simple. That would be a decent KPI and get clubs out and about recruiting, coaching and organising teams and competitions to feed into Colts and ultimately subbies and Grade.

Plenty of School Teachers are happy enough to be the nominal "coach" or "rugby master in charge" as long as someone else technically competent and willing does all the hard yards and all that they have to do is to ensure that there is no child protection funny stuff going on.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
NEW SOUTH WALES COMBINED HIGH SCHOOLS SPORTS ASSOCIATION

Teams for Rugby Union Tour of New Zealand Tour 2013

Harry
BROWN
ALSTONVILLE HIGH
Ben
CRERAR
BALGOWLAH BOYS
Jordan
LOTOANIU
BASS HILL
Damien
FLEMING
BWSC- Woy Woy C.
Corey
FLEMING
BWSC-WOY WOY CAMPUS
Kaszius
FILEMU
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Evander
FILEMU
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Mange
KOPA
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Cruze
LEACH
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Rahboni
WARREN-VOSAYACO
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Brandon
PAENGA-AMOSA
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS HIGH
Billy
WHALAN
GRAFTON HIGH
Phillip
BRADFORD
HUNTER SPORTS
Reece
HEWAT
ILLAWARRA SPORTS
Jacob
TUPUOLA
INGLEBURN HIGH
Bevan
FRENCH
INVERELL HIGH
Curtis
PATTON
KIAMA HIGH
William
FINLEY
LISAROW HIGH
Henri
GOURLAY
MANLY SELECTIVE
Andrew
VATUVEI
SARAH REDFERN HIGH
Josh
VAINIKOLO
TLSC- The Entrance C.
Raui
POARU
WESTFIELDS SPORTS
Oliver
TAKIVEIKATA
WESTFIELDS SPORTS
Josh
TUPUOLA
WESTFIELDS SPORTS
Adrian
DELORE
WHITEBRIDGE High
A fair bit of talent in this squad!! May give both GPS and CAS a real contest especially with a tour prep behind them.​
I'm surprised that Jarrod Matairavula is not in this squad - is he still at school?

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Plays colts for Parra.

Jarrod will also be in the Sydney West team having another shot this year. I also find it interesting that players like Lachlann Taylor and Nate George were not looked at. There is not one boy from Hills Sports High who beat both Endeavour and Westfields last year. I assume there is someone from Endeavour involved in coaching/selecting as they have 6 boys in the team.

Looking forward to Coffs Harbour to see if the boys in New Zealand are a walk up start for the NSW CHS team or if others will get a look in.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the NZ tour team was just a development team or something similar, and not the team we will see in the opens champs.

There is at least 3 boys that Leicester Tiger believes might have a shot at the CHS opens.

Who else? Any smokies that have popped over here as sons of recent economic migrants from NZ or the PI?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Guys, as we are approaching a new season I will give this warning again:

No discussion of off-field stuff- drugs, social life etc. Any posts mentioning this will be deleted.

No slandering of school kids, or other posters. Any posts mentioning this will be deleted.

If you break either of these rules you will be banned instantly.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Day one was quite a lop sided affair with teams in pools. Day 2 saw some, not all, closer games. The game of the day was Sydney West V Sydney East which was won 29-26 by Sydney east with a penalty in blustery conditions after the bell. Sydney West were down about 26 nil at one point. Good Game. Day 3 was washed out. over 100mm of rain overnight saw the field disappear. They were talking about moving just the 1 V 2 game to Grafton to get a result. I don't know if that happened.

My CHS Team would look something like this:

1. Richard Sulusi?? (Sydney Sth West)
2. Oliver Takiveikata (Sydney Sth West)
3. Evander Filemu (Sydney East)
4. Cameron Skelton (Sydney West)
5. Josh Vainikolo (Central Coast)
6. Lachlann Taylor (Sydney West)
7. Brandon Paenga Amosa (Sydney East)
8. Damian Flemming (Central Coast)
9. Adrian Delore (Hunter)
10. Christopher Buckley (North Coast)
11. Kaszius Filemu (Sydney East)
12. Jake O'Brien (Central Coast)
13. Sione Matu'utia (Hunter)
14. Ofa Siale (Sydney West)
15. Riley Manwaring?? (Riverina Fullback)

Any comments?
The names may not be correct. It was very confusing with Hunter having numbers printed on the front of their jerseys and others not matching the program. For example Lachlann Taylor was listed at 12, wearing 1 and playing 4,6 & 8. Very difficult to decipher.

Anyone know where the actual team will be posted?

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
Spoke to some boys and the team has been selected for CHS 16's. Anyone know the who is in it.
The squad will be published tomorrow in one or both of the SMH and telegraph. Two teams will be selected (35 players). The final squad of 23 will be determined on the 2nd June with games against CCC and AICES at Southern Districts.

hbhrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Does anyone happen to know the results of the respective Waratah Shield fixtures played by the CHS schools, such as Endeavour, Farrer, Prariewood, Westsfields etc. Could you please post reultes if you know

torps77

Stan Wickham (3)
I believe (waratah shield) Endeavour were going to get a forfeit from Randwick Boys, probably similar for Westfields v Kinross. Going to play some much tougher matches with limited match play this season

Status
Not open for further replies.