• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think joeys really gets it when it comes to rugby ... In the opens, I gather they alternate teams between year 11 and year 12. So if you get dropped from say the 6ths you actually go to the 8ths .. And in that way you stay with your mates (from your year)

At the end of the day, it is more about having a good time, and joeys really gets it

When I read peter fitzsimmons book on Kokodo trail, and the Aussies heros, I half thought it would be joeys blokes ... Surprised it was mostly Victorians !

tavytoo

Peter Burge (5)
I've heard on the grape vine that some play a summer sport and do athletics.
How will they ever get anywhere in sport doing that?

I assume that most of the adults contributing to these threads went to school and played sport when they were kids. I'll bet no-one put this pressure on them to be mini-rugby machines from the time they could walk. From where has this idea sprung?

I think that some of them really want a sort of rugby agoge where boys spent their days playing rugby from the age of 7 until they are 20, with some rudimentary literacy and numeracy thrown in as an extra.

back then it was just hockey and rugby in winter and athletics and cricket in summer plus social tennis and swimming. distinct seasons with no crossover.... plus sport was amateur with not many paid professionals. showing my age now. lol

tavytoo

Peter Burge (5)
a man wit
A war hero, a Victorian, a Wallaby.. Sir Ernest Edward "Weary" Dunlop. Very inspiring

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

A man with strong values and a legacy to aspire to. the weary dunlop dinner before the lions melbourne test was one of best sports / fundraising dinners i have been to in a long while

S

spirit of cupertino

W
I couldn't help but notice some words from Grant Hackett this week:

'I've been an athlete since I was 4 years old and every moment from there on till I was 28 was about pushing though, overcoming, push the pain away."

It's time some adults paused for thought. What have we done to kids sport?
Where did you hear this bio-grab? Was it Dancing with the Stars? Master Chef? Like everything in life, kid's sport is turned into a machine that provides a fantasy of what we want. There's nothing stopping Hackett retiring with grace and to put back into society... Clearly he needs to push through, overcome, push the pain away... and find a worthwhile goal.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
W
Where did you hear this bio-grab? Was it Dancing with the Stars? Master Chef? Like everything in life, kid's sport is turned into a machine that provides a fantasy of what we want. There's nothing stopping Hackett retiring with grace and to put back into society. Clearly he needs to push through, overcome, push the pain away. and find a worthwhile goal.

What he really needs is someone like you telling him to HTFU when he demonstrates any traits of the human condition

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think many of the parents are not the least bit interested in sport of any sort but since it is compulsory they do the one with the least impact on them.
Cricket numbers are not much better.
The anglo/celtic games tradition is dying in the community and its on life support at Grammar.

One suspects that as sport at Grammar declines, some parents/boys with a sporting orientation are choosing another schools and this further weakens sport at Grammar.

Can Grammar do anything to reverse the trend? Has it gone too far to do anything? Or is the school comfortable in its current academic focus and not particularly bothered about sport?

(I'm not criticising the academic focus)

You're right about the decline in the traditional GPS anglo-celtic sports. We see it in most of the GPS schools - the more diverse the student body, the more this applies.
They don't choose other schools so much, the selection process at Grammar admits a very small number of boys outside the 2 Prep schools, which themselves are selective enough. Although the main school decries coaching to achieve academic standards (they state the exam is designed specifically to not encourage coaching) to be offered admission, the reality is that is the pathway most follow who wish to get their sons there. There is not a lot of overlap between the 2 groups.
As IS says, it will not change, it has been a generation-long transition from what it was to what it is. I know this too well.

S

spirit of cupertino

In
What he really needs is someone like you telling him to HTFU when he demonstrates any traits of the human condition
Instead of ruing his lot, Hackett should remind himself of all the joy and happiness he brought to others. What a pity Oscar Pistorious didn't unburden himself on Dancing with the Stars.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I suppose now that his life is a train wreck and he spent his whole childhood training for sport, he can at least take comfort in that he brought happiness to others.

You see, training all your childhood for sport doesn't really equip one for the emotional demands of ordinary life. But as you say, as long as our sportsmen and women bring happiness to others, all is well.

S

spirit of cupertino

I suppose now that his life is a train wreck and he spent his whole childhood training for sport, he can at least take comfort in that he brought happiness to others.

You see, training all your childhood for sport doesn't really equip one for the emotional demands of ordinary life. But as you say, as long as our sportsmen and women bring happiness to others, all is well.

The trouble is that being massively successful at anything doesn't equip you for the demands of ordinary life.

roosters2014

Bob McCowan (2)
shore lost to barker at north sydney. Didnt get the full score but it was about 5 tries to two. Shore side basically there seconds side with 6 key players out due to sickness/cadets.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He's coaching NSW U20s I'm pretty sure.

Didn't he have that role (or a similar role) before he went to Newington?

It just strikes me that being Director of Rugby (which he was) is more than the 1st XV coach. His results with the 1st XV there speak for themselves, but what great talent he had to work with. 2nds and 3rds struggled as did 16As last year - they are the boys I'd have thought a Director of Rugby would be working with long terms goals in mind (i.e. beyond 2013) rather than an anniversary celebration.

Status
Not open for further replies.