• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Invitational U16 Tournament 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cue the "Selectors had agendas" posts.

Edit: Oops. Didn't scan far enough down the thread to see that @Inside Shoulder had already fired the starters pistol. :)

Bill McLean (32)
vindicates some of the criticism of their selections made at the time

As you know I've been caught up in my own little world as of late so I wasn't aware of any dramas as far as SJRU selections were concerned; nevertheless I am not surprised!

As most might recall, I was scathing of the selectors a couple of years ago as I believed their selections were pivotal in some decent rugby lads moving into other codes, when the same were more than worthy of selection.

Ultimately, SJRU still won all their games which probably vindicated the selections at the time. From all accounts it seems as if the 'hens have finally come home to roost'!

Bill McLean (32)
I take it that the same protagonists in so far as the SJRU is concerned are still running the show?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some have moved on, but they either trained their successors well, or they are quick learners.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
So the end result was:

3 wins for NSW Schools who took out the inaugural NSW U16 Invitational Cup with a 29-14 Win against NSW Country, 52-0 win over Western zone and a hard fought win over a resurgent Sydney City 17-12.

Runners up were Westen Zone with wins over NSW country and Sydney city

In third NSW country with a great win over Sydney City....

And Sydney City 3 losses.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ The starters pistol has already been fired for that particular event @MOTH. Post #22 above.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Great effort from the rejects...I mean Rams (we won't mention the NSW Schools game)

One game was particularly enjoyable :)
20141005_111013.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let the recriminations begin!
Practice for when these young lads grow up and are playing top level rugby.

Let's start to blame the referee and associated match officials for the losses.

It seems that this is becoming the Australian way of dealing with a situation where the corrupt and incompetent match officials conspire to enable opponents to score more points than the favoured/supported team.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Practice for when these young lads grow up and are playing top level rugby.

Let's start to blame the referee and associated match officials for the losses.

It seems that this is becoming the Australian way of dealing with a situation where the corrupt and incompetent match officials conspire to enable opponents to score more points than the favoured/supported team.

They haven't got a leg to stand on HJ.
Those associated with the Sydney side were called out on their disgraceful selections from the start and their performance vindicated those criticisms.
No wonder rugby is in trouble with the likes of these people at the helm. I hope they feel as foolish as they look.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Slugga, One of the nice things about Sydney Junior Rugby is that the vainglorious administrators, selectors and coaches tend to leave after their youngest child prodigy completes Under 16's, particularly if the aforementioned future Wallaby attends an ISA, CAS or AAGPS school.

Unfortunately like breeds like, and the replacements are often very quick learners, and the same situation repeats itself, year in year out.

Further problems arise if the child rugby prodigy attends a CHS, AICES or CCC school and doesn't decide to play for Colts as an U17 eligible player. In this scenario, the vainglorious ones stay around for another year to have a crack at wreaking havoc and chaos in SJRU and NSW JRU open grade footy.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The boys in western Sydney rams were not the only victims of appalling administration and selection. its just that they were the only one's who got to prove it.
By doing so I would have thought that the only rational response would be to forget the whole idea of the invitational tournament since this shows that in its present format it proves nothing except the problems in SJRU.
So then we'll finish up with precisely what the ARU wanted: 2 NSW Schools teams playing in a national tournament.

Bill McLean (32)
Can anyone tell me with which age group the SJRU selectors purportedly got it wrong? I was looking at the SJRU website and noticed a few familiar names however all were associated with the SJRU U/15's. I admittedly do not know the rest. Or none that I can recall.

If I do not stand corrected it is my understanding that Barkell and Rivers are co-coaches and Sean Irvine is the manager. For mine these guys are not bad coaches and have generally (but have not always IMHO) selected the best players! Sean Irivine (if it is the Northern Irish gentleman I am thinking about) does not have a bad eye for talent as well!

I have always known these gents to approach individual team coaches and ask the same who they (as the SJRU management) should be looking at during trial games and the like. I have also known them to come out to 'top of the table' clashes as well!

As stated above, I do not always agree that they hit the bullseye (and on occasion I have questioned their loyalty to TGS lads) but they are not often far of the mark!

Well that is my honest opinion Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.