• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
With the State Championships fast approaching, has anyone got any news on how trials have been going in the various age groups ? How many 17s sides are there this year ? Are Parra looking like they will win again in 16s and Norths in 15s ? Any surprise packages developing ?

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
With the State Championships fast approaching, has anyone got any news on how trials have been going in the various age groups ? How many 17s sides are there this year ? Are Parra looking like they will win again in 16s and Norths in 15s ? Any surprise packages developing ?

i know hunter are going down, and from last year, coming 2nd..should put up a bit of a fight

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hunter usually put up good competitive sides.

Understand that Manly will be a force to be reckoned with in 15s this year, having gained a number of Warringah players from the demise of Dee Why village club in that age group. Gordon and 2 x champs Norths still favourites though.

In 16s, I can't see past Parra again for 5 years in a row. The closest challengers are likely to be Norths (finalists last year) and Gordon (who supposedly have done more recruiting than a CBD headhunter).

Still haven't heard the 17s make up

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
for the 17s, eastwood is packing an ok team, hunter lost 6 players just before country champs and they were key centers, 5/8, #8, fullback. still managed to come third in a tough and close match in the semis at country champs. not sure if they will field the full strength side they could have, with few players pulling out.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Eastwood won't be conmpetitive in the UI17s - have struggled to get a decent side together with a lot of players from previous years not interested in trialling. Looks out for Wests in the 17s this year.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
In the U16s I don't know that Parra will be a "shoo in" this year. Whilst they do have a very good side and have added to it with Jamo Clark switching from West Harbour I think that size wise other teams have caught up to them in the forwards. Norths will again be the main challengers and I too have heard that Gordon are likely to be very competetive. Also hearing that Eastwood have put a pretty good side together.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
In the U16s I don't know that Parra will be a "shoo in" this year. Whilst they do have a very good side and have added to it with Jamo Clark switching from West Harbour I think that size wise other teams have caught up to them in the forwards. Norths will again be the main challengers and I too have heard that Gordon are likely to be very competetive. Also hearing that Eastwood have put a pretty good side together.

Parra played Manly 16s in a trial on Sunday. Although they won by maybe 7 tries to nil, they didn't dominate our guys as much as I thought. Partly due to a number of Manly lads fronting up, but they looked a fair bit out of touch at times. They also looked to be missing a few regular players. Matt Matson who has been mentioned on these forums before wasn't really in the game at all, but I was told he had earlier had a tough game for Hills against Norths, strangely also played at Kierle Park (?). I'm also told he came off second best against Norths second row Jon Ross who was with Manly last year, which would suggest he has improved a lot and will add to the already strong Norths pack.

Jamo Clarke was playing 12, with Tepai outside him at 13, and looked pretty good, albeit against fairly weak opposition. However he appears a bit slight of frame for that position and will be interesting to see if he plays there for State Champs, and if he does how he will fare against harder hitting centre pairings at say Sydney Uni or Norths.

Malaki and Jake Roberts were notable absentees for Parra, and a couple of their forwards who were there but appeared to be out injured. One was, I think, their regular hooker Peter Ma'a.

C

cold coffee

Wow Malcsy... your incite into what is working and not with the Parra U16's team is compelling. I read that you did not mention that these 2 games (Hills vs Norths and Parra vs Manly) were played a on mini field.

And Yes the final lineup will be interesting as apart from a TRIAL !

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wow Malcsy... your incite into what is working and not with the Parra U16's team is compelling. I read that you did not mention that these 2 games (Hills vs Norths and Parra vs Manly) were played a on mini field.

And Yes the final lineup will be interesting as apart from a TRIAL !

Hey mate, not sure what your point is ? Fully understand it was a trial, as per the 7th word of my comment. And what do you mean by mini field ???

Fully understand that Parra will be a different proposition at State, just commenting on what I saw...

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
I think Cold Coffee was referring to the fact that the ground wasn't full size.I'll put it out there that Parra will win the title, the fact that they haven't fielded their strongest side through the trials, which have all been won convincingly indicates that any team that wants to knock them off will need to bring there A game on the day

T

TigersFan5

I think Cold Coffee was referring to the fact that the ground wasn't full size.I'll put it out there that Parra will win the title, the fact that they haven't fielded their strongest side through the trials, which have all been won convincingly indicates that any team that wants to knock them off will need to bring there A game on the day

Thats been the case for the last 4 years they have won it, any team going to knock parra off any year has to bring A game and better it.
They will be strong this year, as they always have been, but apprently, they are trying to field 2 teams??

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Watch for Anthony Collum of Gordon in the 16's, he doesnt have fantastic skill but will definatly be the quickest at the comp i believe he runs about 11 flat over 100 m quite strong as well. Parra would have to be favourites in the 16's though

Status
Not open for further replies.