• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Primary School Rugby teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
What was surprising out of the 2016 NSW PSSA Championship was the poor performance of CIS. Something went horribly wrong.

CIS 1 player selected into NSW PSSA and finishing 7th with 2 wins from 5 games. I believe their worst ever performance at the championship.

Polding a little better 2 players selected into NSW PSSA and finishing 6th.

http://www.sports.det.nsw.edu.au/state/results/year_2016/nswpssa/state/rugby_union.htm

CIS ran into a red hot Hunter team on day 1, and then faced Sydney West in the QF crossover on Day 2. Perhaps with a different draw things may have been different, but final placings are not the benchmark for positions in the NSW PSSA team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonnyGibbs

Herbert Moran (7)
CIS ran into a red hot Hunter team on day 1, and then faced Sydney West in the QF crossover on Day 2. Perhaps with a different draw things may have been different, but final placings are not the benchmark for positions in the NSW PSSA team.

So you are blaming the draw for CIS demise?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
So you are blaming the draw for CIS demise?
I wouldn't call it a demise. As one of the coaches at the carnival, there were a number of teams that were surprising. I know that the teams at this carnival can ebb and flow. One rough year doesn't make a demise.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
I believe NSW PSSA went down by 2 points to Kings 13 As

Last years NSW PSSA team got beat by scots u13s 40+ and still went onto to win every game easily in the championships. The size and strength difference playing boys 1 year older is massive at this age , so it's obviously a good warm up playing against yr7 and yr8 boys before the interstate championships. I'm sure the competition will not be as strong as the trial games played.

Good luck to this years NSWPSSA team .

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
Last years NSW PSSA team got beat by scots u13s 40+ and still went onto to win every game easily in the championships. The size and strength difference playing boys 1 year older is massive at this age , so it's obviously a good warm up playing against yr7 and yr8 boys before the interstate championships. I'm sure the competition will not be as strong as the trial games played.

Good luck to this years NSWPSSA team .
Last year's Scots u13a team had a few players from the 2014 NSW PSSA team. Hardly surprising that they smashed the PSSA team.
Do the PSSA have any other trial games?

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting that only 1 of the 2012 contingent has been selected into 2016 NSW schools u16s (congrats Will McClennan). Would have thought there'd be more for reasons articulated on the scholarship thread.

Why is it that only 1 player made the NSW schools team from 2012?

Why is it that 13 out of the 23 from 2012 made the starting squads for their respective Harold Matt teams ?

Why is it that at least 5 of the 2012 made the NSW Blues training squad ?

Why is it these boys didn't commit fully to rugby?

I think the 4 yrs in between NSWPSSA and U16 school boys reps is too long and hence the talented boys get lost to different sports, mostly league as proven by the number of different league teams signing these kids.

I think moving forward there has to be some way these NSWPSSA kids are kept in some kind of system , especially the country boys or the boys from down south as these are normally the boys that are lost to league .

I think you will find the 2012 NSWPSSA team will be one of the standout teams , if not the standout team from the above teams mentioned when we look back in time , wether it's rugby league or union.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Aust Rugby could think about throwing resources at a few areas of potential - like Blacktown/Mt Druitt and get those PI and Sudanese boys engaged.

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
Why is it that only 1 player made the NSW schools team from 2012?

Why is it that 13 out of the 23 from 2012 made the starting squads for their respective Harold Matt teams ?

Why is it that at least 5 of the 2012 made the NSW Blues training squad ?

Why is it these boys didn't commit fully to rugby?

I think the 4 yrs in between NSWPSSA and U16 school boys reps is too long and hence the talented boys get lost to different sports, mostly league as proven by the number of different league teams signing these kids.

I think moving forward there has to be some way these NSWPSSA kids are kept in some kind of system , especially the country boys or the boys from down south as these are normally the boys that are lost to league .

I think you will find the 2012 NSWPSSA team will be one of the standout teams , if not the standout team from the above teams mentioned when we look back in time , wether it's rugby league or union.

It seems that many of the kids chosen in the PSSA team are primarily league players. That is partially a function of the manner in which the team is chosen and limited amount of rugby played in public schools.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
It seems that many of the kids chosen in the PSSA team are primarily league players. That is partially a function of the manner in which the team is chosen and limited amount of rugby played in public schools.

Don't agree at all , at this age the private schools rugby coaching is far better and hence more boys selected in NSWPSSA team from rugby schools.

I believe in 2012 the CIS team got 10-12 players selected in the NSWPSSA team ,I believe the most ever selected from one association.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
How did the NSWPSSA team do at the Carnival? Results?

Did Queensland enter a team?

Another undefeated campaign by the PSSA team, led by coaches Carters, Barr, Watson and Lewis. Won the 'final' against Victoria 33-0. A great campaign by the boys, coaching team and parents.

There are always a number of boys in the team that are both union and league players. Very rare to get some with no rugby experience in the NSW team.

I guess the pathway is the biggest problem for boys moving forward, especially those from Western Sydney, South West Sydney and Hunter. No pathway in rugby until 15s, while Junior Rugby League had development squads as early as 14s.

The PSSA team play trials against Kings 13s, Cavalier Rugby (I think) and Scots. All three teams regularly have a number of players who have been PSSA reps previously. I remember a couple of years ago, the team played Scots and Charlie Savala (amongst others) played for Scots and shut down plays regularly because of their knowledge of the structures.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another undefeated campaign by the PSSA team, led by coaches Carters, Barr, Watson and Lewis. Won the 'final' against Victoria 33-0. A great campaign by the boys, coaching team and parents.

They also chalked 90-0 up in the ACT team and didn't concede a point.

This tournament is CRYING OUT for Queensland to enter.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
They also chalked 90-0 up in the ACT team and didn't concede a point.

This tournament is CRYING OUT for Queensland to enter.

Queensland allegedly not interested unless it changes from an Under 12s to an Under 13s competition, which obviously doesn't work from a PSSA perspective

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I've heard the former, but not the latter. In all honesty, just give them 3 teams. What's the big deal?

I actually have knowledge of the reasons given.

Given a number of 11 year olds play from all states, the ARU 2 year window becomes a issue. 13 year olds potentially against 11 year olds. Come on.

3 teams? I don't follow.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I guess the pathway is the biggest problem for boys moving forward, especially those from Western Sydney, South West Sydney and Hunter. No pathway in rugby until 15s, while Junior Rugby League had development squads as early as 14s

Boys moving on from PSSA have the option of club rugby in most areas (not all I grant) and are then eligible to play junior state championships each year starting at u11s. The standard of rugby at club A team level and at the JSC is typically high. Most of the boys playing NSW u16s and school boys go down that 'pathway' so it does exist. No need to play league to become a better footballer.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
No pathway in rugby until 15s, while Junior Rugby League had development squads as early as 14s.

That is rubbish. The pathway is via Club Rugby in the earlier years. Players have the opportunity to represent their districts; country based or metropolitan at the State Championships on the June Long Weekend in U12 to Opens

Country additionally have their country championships a little earlier but country districts can compete in both championships if they so choose.

Players have the opportunity to represent NSW Country or Sydney in U14, U15 U16 and U17s.

School pathway commences in U16 via NSW Schools Championships. In that year players have a dual pathway to higher honours either via club or school.

Status
Not open for further replies.