1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2021

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Shortrep, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Shortrep Allen Oxlade (6)

Thread for the discussion of NSW Schools Debating in 2021.
    sada supremacy, DebatingNerd and mij like this.
  2. Shipnotsinking Frank Row (1)

State trials were this weekend.

Can someone please post the Callbacks and State Squads?
    DebatingNerd likes this.
  3. DebatingNerd Frank Row (1)

State Squads aren't out yet however the following are callbacks, they will trial on the 30th and 31th of March. Pretty sure Daniel Yim (WSDC Aus Captain) and Ellie Stephenson (NSDC NSW State Team) are in charge of NSWDU this year.

Callback List:
    Abrar Chowdhury (Year 10, SBHS)
    Aidan Woo (Year 12, Grammar)
    Aimee Bulliman (Year 11, SHHS)
    Alex Bako (Year 12, Kambala)
    Alex Garmen-Christensen (Year 12, SGHS)
    Anjali Lambotharan (Year 11, Abbotsleigh)
    Ariane Varnava (Year 12, SGHS)
    Auguste McNally (Year 12, SBHS)
    Brendon Chen (Year 12, Grammar)
    Caitie Bako (Year 11, Kambala)
    Charlie Henry (Year 11, Riverview)
    Darshanik Aryal (Year 10, James Ruse)
    Dhruv Hariharan (Year 12, Knox)
    Ethan Tan (Year 11, Shore)
    Iris Lee (Year 12, St Ives)
    Jack Glass (Year 11, Grammar)
    Jack Story (Year 11, Grammar)
    Jade Di Girolamo (Year 11, MLC)
    Kevin Lee (Year 12, James Ruse)
    Mehnaaz Hossain (Year 12, SGHS)
    Neva Mikulic (Year 11, SGHS)
    Ruby Livingston (Year 11, Queenwood)
    Thomas Zheng (Year 12, SBHS)
    Tim Hanna (Year 11, SBHS)
    Toby Mok (Year 11, Grammar)

This list is finally complete, thanks to some help from Shipnotsinking, thank you!
    But at the moment, SGHS has the most people in callbacks followed by SBHS which is quite typical of these two powerhouses.
    There are 2 Year 10's and quite a few Year 11's which is quite interesting as there were a few upsets as a few people in first grade at powerhouse schools got didn't get chosen. So I guess there's quite a bit of younger talent upcoming which should make the 2022 and 2023 seasons quite interesting to say the least!

Picks for ISDA, Eastside, PDC, Archdale, CSDA and GPS?
  4. DebatingNerd Frank Row (1)

I'm pretty sure, based on my sources, that all the Grammar 1sts made State callbacks which already shows the strength of the Grammar team, so I reckon they're well positioned to take ISDA this year. For Eastside, Sydney Girls' main competitors are Sydney Boys, I don't believe Grammar will win as they don't have their best team in this tournament. However, SGHS did win the State Debating Final for PDC against this exact SBHS team last year in the Year 11 Karl Kramp on the topic "That the government should impose financial penalties on people who refuse to take the Covid 19 vaccine" on the Negative side. The link for the debate is here:

The debate was quite enjoyable to watch, but SGHS' victory in this may be indicative of them winning Eastside this year.
    As for PDC, rumours have it that the James Ruse team is incredibly strong this year, and we are expecting them to be a powerhouse in following years as well, having a Year 10 debater in State callbacks is no mean feat, so look out for their 2023 team in the future which have also won the state championship when they were in Year 8, link for that debate is here:

As for Archdale, I am not sure what to call as I am not in the loop for this competition.

As for GPS, I'm calling it for Grammar for this year as they have literally had everyone in their firsts make callbacks for State debating trials which is no mean feat, SBHS haven't managed to more than half of their team through to this stage and they're usually the main contenders with Grammar. But while SBHS' form has been in recent decline since the eras of Thomas Shortridge and Alex De Araujo who took home big titles. But a little birdie's told me that they've promising students in younger grades. One of which is Tim Hanna who made their Firsts and the State Debating Squad in Year 10! Another person may be Abrar Chowdhury who along with Darshanik from Ruse made it to State Callbacks.

State Squad is coming out around Friday so I'll try keep this forum posted on what's happening.

Speaking of the forum. what on Earth happened to it!? Come on debaters, you need get your participation in this forum up, I'm not gonna be around in a few years time!

Also if you are reading this forum it would be appreciated if you could send your results on this forum so I can tabulate them.
    Shipnotsinking likes this.
  5. Shipnotsinking Frank Row (1)

Thanks DebatingNerd. I agree on increasing engagement!!!

5 Grammar people are in Callbacks, so that makes Grammar the most of any school.

Regarding your omissions I believe its:
    Charlie Henry (Year 11, Riverview)
    Ethan Tan (Year 11, Shore)

Aidan Woo (Year 12, Grammar)

6. DebatingNerd Frank Row (1)

Grammar has a lot of Year 11's in callbacks this year which means they should have a particularly strong team next year. Look out for them in 2022!

By the way, has State Squad come out yet? Please let the forum know by posting as soon as they do.
  7. DebatingNerd Frank Row (1)

The Round Robins for ISDA finish on the 23rd of April, after the school holidays. But here's some info on the competition:

Up until Round 6 the Senior A results are as follows for each bracket.

Bracket 1 (Queenwood, Brigidine, Tangara, Aloysius, Barker, Grammar, Knox, Kings):
    Queenwood - 0
    Brigidine - 3
    Tangara - 0
    Aloysius - 4
    Barker - 3
    Grammar - 6
    Knox - 3
    Kings - 4

Bracket 2 (SCEGGS, MLC, Riverview, Ascham, Redlands, Trinity, Newington, Joeys):
    SCEGGS - 4
    MLC - 4
    Riverview - 5
    Ascham - 1
    Redlands - 2
    Trinity - 1
    Newington - 4
    Joeys - 2

Bracket 3 (Scots, Pymble, Loretto Kirribilli, St Andrews, Wenona, Roseville, Abbotsleigh, St Lukes):
    Scots - 5
    Pymble - 3
    Loretto Kirribilli - 4
    St Andrews - 1
    Wenona - 1
    Roseville - 2
    Abbotsleigh - 3
    St Lukes - 5

Bracket 4 (Ravenswood, PLC, Kincoppal, Cranbrook, Monte, Kambala, Shore, St Catherines)
    Ravenswood - 0
    PLC - 2
    Kincoppal - 2
    Cranbrook - 6
    Monte - 4
    Kambala - 3
    Shore - 4
    St Catherines - 1

Round 7 matchups of Round Robin for each bracket is below:

Bracket 1:
    Tangara v Queenwood
    Barker v Brigidine
    Knox v St Aloysius
    Kings v Grammar

Bracket 2:
    Riverview v SCEGGS
    Redlands v MLC
    Newington v Ascham
    Trinity v St Josephs

Bracket 3:
    Loreto Kirribilli v Scots
    Wenona v Pymble
    Abbotsleigh v St Andrew's
    St Luke's v Roseville

Bracket 4:
    Kincoppal v Ravenswood
    PLC Sydney v Monte
    Shore v Cranbrook
    St Catherine's v Kambala

Predictions for Round 7, Octos, Quarters, Semis and Grand Final?
  8. DebatingNerd Frank Row (1)

Could someone please post updates on Eastside?
  9. thatWasToSay Frank Row (1)

Looks like the group stage is more or less done. Two undefeated teams Grammar and Cranbrook surely have to be up there as contenders. Grammars 6 looks marginally better than Cranbrooks, coming in a slightly tougher pool.

Scots and Riverview also looking strong on 5 wins could make for an interesting GPS season with a few strong schools (and you can usually throw high in there as well). St Lukes is also worth mentioning here on 5 wins, not traditionally a strong school, but looks to have a strong team this year.

The Octos tend to give pretty one sided match ups for the top teams who are contending to win the comp. Two potentially interesting Octos though.

B1 v C4 - Reigning GPS Premiers View are looking likely to top Group B, however traditionally strong Abbotsleigh are in a bit of a fight to make it out of Group C. If they end up finishing 4th, that's a tough draw for View in an Octo after winning their group. Potentially see the group winners out early? Would be an interesting debate, but I suspect Riverview would manage to get through given their stronger form in the group stages.

D1 v A4 - Cranbrook undefeated will finish top of Group D, but Group A has a lot of depth and it appears Barker ('18 Finalists) or Knox ('19 Winners) will be their opponents in the Octo. Those are strong schools, who might be better than their win totals suggest given the tough group. I could very much see an upset here!

Will be interesting to see once Round 7 and the makeup round are over how the bracket pans out, to be able to make predictions more concretely.
    DebatingNerd likes this.
  10. James Stratton - The King Frank Row (1)

Really glad someone finally created a new thread for debating - missed this in 2020.

Unfortunately seems like the announcement of the state squad is not forthcoming anytime soon. Really sucks for those who trialed, results are normally announced after callbacks.

For Archdale I would put my money on Kambala or Abbotsleigh taking the crown this year. This years Kambala senior team won the competition in 2019 and lost to this years Abbotsleigh team in the grand-final last year.

As usual CAS is probably a win for Barker or Knox, Aloys is decent but the rest of the competition is weak.

SBHS reign in GPS seem to have come to an end with Grammar likely to pick up this year.

Lastly on ISDA, I would note the large number of postponed matches and a bunch of missing data from rounds means it might be a bit early to make any calls for what will happen. Particularly with half of the best teams (stuck together in the A pool for some truly stupid reason) likely to canabalise early on.
    DebatingNerd likes this.
  11. James Stratton - The King Frank Row (1)

Ok trialists wanted me to look like an arse and released the state squad right after I posted.

2021 NSW State Squad:
    Alex Bako
    Anjali Lambotharan
    Auguste McNally
    Brendon Chen
    Catie Bako
    Darshanik Aryal
    Dhruv Hariharan
    Iris Lee
    Jack Glass
    Jack Story
    Jade Di Girolamo
    Tim Hanna
    Toby Mok
    sada supremacy and DebatingNerd like this.
  12. Shipnotsinking Frank Row (1)

As for predictions, I’d bet on Sydney Grammar winning ISDA/GPS/NSW Rep/Nationals/WSDC/WUDC.

Sydney Grammar leads all schools by a huge margin with 4 people in the State Squad. 3 in Year 11 and a Year 12 who was a National Champion last year. Fantastic effort. The spirit of ‘James Stratton - The King’ lives on.

2021 NSW State Squad:
    Alex Bako (Year 12, Kambala)
    Catie Bako (Year 11, Kambala)

Auguste McNally (Year 12, SBHS)
    Tim Hanna (Year 11, SBHS)

Dhruv Hariharan (Year 12, Knox)
    Iris Lee (Year 12, St Ives)
    Jade Di Girolamo (Year 11, MLC)
    Anjali Lambotharan (Year 11, Abbotsleigh)
    Darshanik Aryal (Year 10, James Ruse)

DebatingNerd and (deleted user) like this.
  13. DebatingNerd Frank Row (1)

Pretty sure Grammar doesn't do WUDC.

By the way, does anyone have any results on Eastside? I'm not really in the loop for that competition either but knowing its results is pretty interesting because it does have SBHS and SGHS in it and I lowkey wanna see how they're faring. Especially SGHS because they didn't get anyone into the state squad this year which is quite weird and uncharacteristic of the traditional powerhouse.
  14. DebatingNerd Frank Row (1)

Also I agree with Shipnotsinking's predictions Grammar looks ridiculously strong for the 2021 and 2022 seasons.