• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

HymnNo13

Frank Row (1)
Here are my Senior A Predictions:

Side 1
Octo 1: Aloys v PLC

Octo 2: Knox v Cranbrook

Octo 3: Joeys v Queenwood

Octo 4: Riverview v St Andrews​
Side 2
Octo 5: Grammar v Monte

Octo 6: Shore v Kincoppal - Controversial l'm sure

Octo 7: Scots v Ravo

Octo 8: Barker v SCEGS​
QF 1: Aloys v Knox
A marginal pick - bit of a tossup

QF 2: Riverview v Joeys
Historically Joey's do not do well against Riverview teams (2022 being an exception). Joey's are not as strong as last year so I'd have to say View even though its undoubtedly a controversial call.​
QF 3: Grammar v Kincoppal

QF 4: Scots v Barker
Both teams have a NSW speaker but I think the rest of Barker's bench is stronger​
SF1: Riverview v Aloys
Can't call it. I'd think this would be pretty even - though Riverview has won all but one Fr Charles in the last 5 years.​
SF2: Barker v Grammar
I think Barker will knock out Grammar here (it happened in 2018) Barker have a state speaker and as much as all the Grammar diehards on here want to disagree, I just really don't think they're that good this year.​

So I'm thinking Riverview or Aloys and Barker in the GF.

As much as the adj pool hasn't been ideal this season - for reasons I think are pretty understandable (the uni scene is slowly recovering, but I don't think it'll be a problem next year) - there are only 12 adjs needed for each octo week and the quarters, 18 for the semis, and 9 for the GF. I've seen some great adjs around this season so I think adj quality won't be a concern for the finals.

Topic selection should deal with a good chunk of the topic-setting criticism - I'm starting to think it should be used for in rounds, at least in Senior A/B.
I'm not really a Grammar diehard and I don't think we really have many of those from reading the forum, but I based my earlier call on the fact that both Senior A and Senior B are doing quite well in a pool with some of the traditionally strongest opponents, and both teams are very strong, despite repeated criticism from G&G.

Also we had Barker Vs Grammar in 2021, in which Grammar came out on top, so although I'm not saying that Grammar is the only good school or that they are guaranteed to win, IMO due to their tradition and great pool of coaches they are usually the safest bet.

Romanforum

Frank Nicholson (4)
Onto the Octos mega preview.

1. Aloys v PLC Sydney
Fresh from the World individual debating and public speaking competition, where one PLC speaker placed 4th overall, PLC beat Kincoppal to qualify. They also have one speaker who made the IGSA seconds and a home ground advantage this Friday. The problem for them though is St Aloysius. They have 2 speakers who made CAS seconds and state callbacks, one of which who debated in their firsts last year. They are also on an undefeated run having easily won the pool rounds. 3/7 wins is concerning for PLC as was their loss to St Lukes, so Aloys will win this one.

2. Knox v Cranbrook
After ending Joeys’ undefeated run on Friday, Cranbrook find themselves on familiar ground against their CAS foes Knox. Knox have been consistent in the hardest Pool, have 2 speakers who made CAS thirds as well as a returning speaker from their firsts team last year. Whilst Cranbrook are in great form, Knox will be too strong as they usually beat Cranbrook.

3. Joeys v Queenwood
After 4 wins in a row, Queenwood then crashed with 3 straight losses whilst Joeys’ undefeated run came to an end last Friday. This Joeys team is good but not as good as last year’s. They do however have a great coach who has turned around their seniors performance in recent times. Queenwood on the other hand have a speaker who made state callbacks and I’ve heard they were unlucky in at least one of their losses, so in a major upset I’m tipping Queenwood.

4. View v St Andrews
This one I will keep brief - View.

5. Grammar v Monte
importantly for Grammar they are in an easy draw to the semis thanks to their win against Knox on Friday night.
The Grammar team is reportedly fired up about missing out on state representation and comparisons to other Grammar teams. Expect a fierce showing against Monte. They have a returning speaker from last years ISDA winning team and have strength across the bench evidenced by 2 speakers making state callbacks. They were also in the hardest pool with the only blemish a perplexing loss against Roseville college.
Monte have been going pretty well but will need to improve their rebuttal style if they are to beat Grammar.
Grammar in an emphatic victory.

6. Shore v Kincoppal
Both teams have had a pretty good run in the pool rounds. Shore are a pretty solid team but one has to question team selection as there is suggestion that their debater who made the state team is not in the their firsts ?! Maybe they will adjust the team for octos.
Whilst Kincoppal have improved out of sight finishing ahead of PLC and Pymble, my feeling is Shore will win this one.

7. Scots v Ravenswood
Congratulations to Scots on their undefeated run in a harder pool. With this form and boasting a state speaker they should win easily you’d think. I’m interested in the commentary suggesting a Ravenswood upset - maybe some anti Scots sentiment there. Ravenswood do have good individual speakers but they only won 3 times and just qualified in the easiest pool. It would take an almighty upset to beat Scots.

8. Barker v SCEGGS
The matchup of the round. SCEGGS won isda B last year. They are a well balanced team and have an IGSA seconds debater who made state callbacks. They are also very well coached. The concern is their loss to Tangara but they steadied the ship after that. Barker has a state debater in their team who also made CAS firsts last year. They have been very consistent and unlucky in both their losses. That being said, I’m giving this to SCEGGS in a minor upset as I think the strength of their 3 speakers will beat the brilliance of Barker’s state speaker.

B

BobJones

If I am not mistaken ISDA Semi Finals conflict with NSDC. Could have ramifications for Scots and Barker.

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
If I am not mistaken ISDA Semi Finals conflict with NSDC. Could have ramifications for Scots and Barker.
Very interesting. Also ramifications for the Shore ISDA B team as well ? News just keeps getting better for Grammar.

Last edited:

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
My comment there was definitely tongue-in-cheek and wasn't directed at anyone. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Grammar made it to the finals, I just think it’s more likely that they don't make it this year than in previous years. No Toby Mok etc and facing a stronger Barker opposition.
What’s wrong with being a Grammar diehard ? :)

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is the Shore ISDA B team really that good? I've heard that there is a great State speaker on there.
Shore are 3rd in an easy pool so probs won’t make Semis anyway. If he’s that good why wouldn’t he be in the Firsts ? Strange selection process at Shore. As long as they don’t sub him in to the A’s for the Grammar quarter I’m happy.

Last edited:

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Shore are 3rd in an easy pool so probs won’t make Semis anyway. If he’s that good why wouldn’t he be in the Firsts ? Strange selection process at Shore. As long as they don’t sub him in to the A’s for the Grammar quarter I’m happy.
You aren't allowed to put people in the team if they haven't met the requirements for a certain number of debates in the regular seasons I believe. Unless there is illness or something like that.

Victor Dalrymple

Bob McCowan (2)
How have the rankings been determined when we don't know margins? In many pools teams are tied on wins, but certain schools have been indicated as breaking. Is this guesswork or is there some method involved?

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
How have the rankings been determined when we don't know margins? In many pools teams are tied on wins, but certain schools have been indicated as breaking. Is this guesswork or is there some method involved?
Debater answered this. Official isda person edited the spreadsheet with rankings.

Looking at the overall breaks for the Octos, I believe Grammar is the only school to have all teams break out of the group stage into the Octos. Please correct me if another school also managed this.

HymnNo13

Frank Row (1)
My comment there was definitely tongue-in-cheek and wasn't directed at anyone. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Grammar made it to the finals, I just think its more likely that they don't make it this year than in previous years. No Toby Mok etc and facing a stronger Barker opposition.
Yeah I definitely agree that there are plenty of strong schools in ISDA and it is in no way a one sided competition.
All I meant was that personally, I think Grammar has the strongest chance, from what I’ve heard about the Senior A team and also the results.

Do we know in each octo which kids to look out for? There are the ones that made the state team, but any others?
I remember wasn’t there a list of the people who made state squad, their year and school? I’m not bothered to look for something buried on like page five but if you’re interested you could look for it.

ProudToAffirm/Negate

Bob McCowan (2)
Looking at the overall breaks for the Octos, I believe Grammar is the only school to have all teams break out of the group stage into the Octos. Please correct me if another school also managed this.
Senior B seems to be a very talented lot. I'd say watch out for Grammar. The team that won both the Year 9 and 10 ISDA would be in either Senior A or B, so it would be fair enough to say that they are definitely strong contenders. There are also very strong Riverview and Kambala teams that should provide tough competition, but its hard to tell at this point.