• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

durkadurka

Peter Burge (5)
Few roughies here - Batho and Vaessen from CHS, both are very very good and very very big forwards who made CHS 2s last year. Vaessen has been playing First Grade (up from U/19s and Reggies) for his home town Narrabri and the toughness of that comp will be an advantage for him when playing the Sydney sides.

T

The Blindside

I think the following players will go close

Allan Ala'alatoa Newington College
Gordon Broome Asquith Boys High
Jack Debreczeni Trinity Grammar
Jack Dempsey St Ignatius College
Rhys Dombkins St Augustines College
Lalakai Foketi Kings School
Mackenzie Kulen St Ignatius College
Ben Lawley Knox Grammar
Brandon Mafi Hills SHS
Jock Merriman SHORE
Will Miller Scots College
Alex Northam Killarney Heights HS
Brogen Roods Newington College
Nathan Roye Newington College
Jim Stewart Scots College
Jack Walters Scots College
Michael Wells St Ignatius College
Waldo Wessels Endeavour SHS
Ezrah Amituanai Newington College
Adam Villmaa Kings School
Zac Attallah Kings School

All have been in NSW sides in the last couple of years and most are in NGS now

Count Villmaa out. He had zero impact against New. He was very predictable running on the edge of the ruck and after he got smashed a few times he lost the taste for it. very similar to Joel Luani giving it to Boyd Killingworth last year.

N

no_name12

Giving the injuries and underachievers at the start of the season could anyone put an updated first and second nsw team up if possible?

Q

QuadeCooperFan

at this stage who are likely candidates for the GPS teams?

T

The Blindside

at this stage who are likely candidates for the GPS teams?

Any thoughts:

1. Ala'alatoa (New)
3. Amituani (New)
7. Baldwin (New)
9. Merryman (Shore)
11. Stewart (Scots)
13. Roods (New)
14. Roye (New)
15. Tegart (Joeys)

F

Finland Fella

Any thoughts:

1. Ala'alatoa (New)
3. Amituani (New)
7. Baldwin (New)
9. Merryman (Shore)
11. Stewart (Scots)
13. Roods (New)
14. Roye (New)
15. Tegart (Joeys)

Think you mean Angus Le Lievre at fullback.
Jack Walters needs to be in the team somewhere.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

Thats a good start. Perhaps McDonald at number 10?

What worries me is that many of the superstars from this age group have already left school (Bond, Moore, Ingate, Freeman, Baraket, Hulme, Deans etc). How do you think the GPS boys will fare without these blokes?

B

baldingwingforward

Any thoughts:

1. Ala'alatoa (New)
3. Amituani (New)
4. Rorke (View)
6. Dempsey (View)
7. Baldwin (New)
8. Wells (View)
9. Merryman (Shore)
10. Vaux (View)
11. Lalakai (Kings)
12. Stewart (Scots)
13. Roods (New)
14. Roye (New)
15. Le Lievre (Joeys)

Some very tough calls - Roods and Stewart both quality centres so you have to play one of them out of position. Huge battle in the backrow. I think Walters over Baldwin but its close (Walters was picked higher than him last year and played Combined States). Miller might get picked as a 6 but i doubt he will get in in fronty of Wells. 2nd row spot wide open as is hooker....

B

baldingwingforward

Thats a good start. Perhaps McDonald at number 10?

What worries me is that many of the superstars from this age group have already left school (Bond, Moore, Ingate, Freeman, Baraket, Hulme, Deans etc). How do you think the GPS boys will fare without these blokes?

From the games i have seen i think it is a fairly weak CAS year - there is enough strength and some quality players between New, Scots and View to easily beat CAS this year, quite heavily i would tip, and the GPS always has way more depth than the CAS, so they will win 2s easy as well.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

interesting pick with Lalakai. Is he really that good? I would assume he is in the Kings 1's then?

also fair call about CAS, though they do have a few standouts (Clark for example). What about NSW selections and Aus schools. Do you think GPS will be as dominant in selections as last year?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Okay chairman Mao
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

By all means start a new thread such as: "Why Pappa shouldn't be ... " or some such.

What bothers moderators is that some subjects like:

Scholarships
NTS
Pappa

.... can poison other threads. The poisoners don't look on it that way - it is not their problem. They are aware that certain subjects are inflammatory and they like to inflame. Forums should let them do this.

There is no doubt that their beliefs are valid to them and that they think they should be able to intersperse comments of an inflammatory nature into any thread they chose to. It is a free country.

As a forum member of Sportal I saw how such forum behaviour corrupted it. Indeed their moderator sidelinecoach now has a protocol that is more rigid than what we have here.

Yes, it is a free country - as I said: by all means start up a separate thread for criticisms of Pappa. Then the people who are interested in it can discuss it.

This is not what people who like to make inflammatory posts want. They want an audience, and when they have to do it in a separate thread they realise that other people won't visit the thread very much and they can't strut. Deep down they know a pet subject of theirs is boring to the average punter who wants more to talk about rugby than the hobby horses of a few.

Start a separate thread on Pappa but don't spoil our forum for others, as we see the spoiling.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
interesting pick with Lalakai. Is he really that good? I would assume he is in the Kings 1's then?

also fair call about CAS, though they do have a few standouts (Clark for example). What about NSW selections and Aus schools. Do you think GPS will be as dominant in selections as last year?

Which CAS teams have you seen to base it being `a fairly weak CAS year'.
As far as Clark is concerned- he may not even play this year. Hopefully he will but he will be giving everyone else a big start.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
a few sg ball players were at nswccc trials and worked very well on the ball, the ones who got named for the starting side were the prop, hooker, inside and outside. possibly up an comings, some only 17 i believe

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Wells must be a certainty if he doesn't get injured. While I have only seen him once (last weekend), he is one of the best loose forwards I have seen at School boy level. Very smart player.
Dempsey also looks very good from View, he has the perfect build of a 6 and plays like Elsom when at Leinster...
Apart from that, none of the View boys stood out as NSW players. They play very well together as a unit but no other individual superstars.

Kings on the other hand look to have a full backline of stars, I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few of them at least at GPS level. Not too many of their forwards will get a look in though. Their No 8 was a big unit but he looked a little soft and got crunched a few times by Wells.

They are the only two teams i have seen thus far...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
JM - I have seen Wells play but had to look him up in old programmes to confirm it because I couldn't remember him. He must have taken a big jump in form from last year because a few people are mentioning him now, but we see that all the time from one year to the other, don't we? He was in the View Ones in 2010 and made GPS IIIs.

I look forward to watching him on Saturday when View play Joeys.

I remember Dempsey better: not from the Views Ones where he played with Wells, but from the Oz U/16 tournament. He was a tenacious player and it will be good to see him too.

I didn't rate the Kings backs quite as highly as you did when I saw them the weekend before last - though that is neither here nor there. But 12. Foketi looked like an exceptional player for a Yr.11 lad. In 2010 I saw him in the U/16 tournament as a fast finishing winger; so he has a bit of versatility, and is one to watch.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Wells must be a certainty if he doesn't get injured. While I have only seen him once (last weekend), he is one of the best loose forwards I have seen at School boy level. Very smart player.
Dempsey also looks very good from View, he has the perfect build of a 6 and plays like Elsom when at Leinster...
Apart from that, none of the View boys stood out as NSW players. They play very well together as a unit but no other individual superstars.

Kings on the other hand look to have a full backline of stars, I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few of them at least at GPS level. Not too many of their forwards will get a look in though. Their No 8 was a big unit but he looked a little soft and got crunched a few times by Wells.

They are the only two teams i have seen thus far...

Wells is s good player. Don't confuse running amok in a few school games against weak opponents as being indicative of some great talent. The point every single person made about him last year was how did he get where he did from GPS 3s and put him up against tough opposition and watch him melt like an ice-cream on the Manly macadam in summer.
PS he will be in the Oz schools team again no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.