• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Suburban Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marley

Wow Balmain 3 from 3. I went to the game and these guys are pretty sharp!!
Set-Piece will be the best in the comp by far and i can prbably say (from what ive seen around the park) that there backs will be the best aswell.
Also Forest had a few good forwards which was good tosee them give balmain a few bruuising tackles. Also Crossy scored his first try in Subbies so congrats.
Anyone know how Newport went?

:)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah Balmain seem to be the standout club in Div 2, and the $$$ and recruitment effort is paying off.

At this early point in the season it looks like Newport are also strong.

KOBs played St Ives on Saturday, we went down in Colts and 3s, drew 4s and won 1s and 2s. It seems our strength this year is at the top, and if we can get a consistent 15 on the park in 1s we will go a long way. That is a big IF though, especially as the season wears on and some of our younger guys go away for the uni holidays.

We have Balmain at home this week, hopefully we can pinch a couple of games off the bastards and bring them back down to earth! It could be a long shot though...

M

Marley

Yeah Balmain seem to be the standout club in Div 2, and the $$$ and recruitment effort is paying off.

At this early point in the season it looks like Newport are also strong.

KOBs played St Ives on Saturday, we went down in Colts and 3s, drew 4s and won 1s and 2s. It seems our strength this year is at the top, and if we can get a consistent 15 on the park in 1s we will go a long way. That is a big IF though, especially as the season wears on and some of our younger guys go away for the uni holidays.

We have Balmain at home this week, hopefully we can pinch a couple of games off the bastards and bring them back down to earth! It could be a long shot though...

Looks like it will be a good tight competition this weekend. Might have to shoot down this weekend and check the two teams go at it!
The No 10, 15, 6, 2, 13 for Balmain are Freaks!! Very exciting backline and strong forwards.

But yes agree on the recruitment phase... not to sure if it fair but i suppose if they want to go up grades, good on them. Suppose making a win this Weekend for KOB even more sweeter!

Unfortunate about the younger guys leaving but hopefully KOB do well this season

Camo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Bastards ? haha ...We have a couple, but the majority of us are really nice blokes!

Barbarian, do KOB do speeches/boat race at the ground or at the Nags Head?

M

Marley

From the game in the weekend. the guys are top blokes.. but Forest on the other hand.. Dirty Buggers..

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Bastards ? haha ...We have a couple, but the majority of us are really nice blokes!

Barbarian, do KOB do speeches/boat race at the ground or at the Nags Head?

Haha I like to believe any upcoming opponents are all low-life bastards of the worst kind. I am happy to be proven wrong, but only after we win the game!

But for now you guys make me physically ill.

That said those guys from St Ives are top blokes, especially those in 1s and 2s!!

We generally do boat races and speeches at the ground post-game. However if you wanted to come over to the Nags and do it I'm sure we could work something out, it is just so rare that we play a team who has their sponsor pub in the same rough area as ours.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So the clash everyone in town is talking about is between KOBs and Balmain. Experts are predicting a crowd in excess of 50,000, with the BBQ revenue alone expected to net Kings approximately $1.4 million.

In expectation of this titanic encounter, I caught up with Balmain star Ryan Cross in a 100% genuine (cough) interview for the Kings website that will surely be making front page news once some of the comments seep out into the media...

http://www.kobweb.org.au/2012/05/2973/

I think Ryan took things a little too far, Kings aren't THAT good. The game still promisies to be a cracker!

M

Marley

So the clash everyone in town is talking about is between KOBs and Balmain. Experts are predicting a crowd in excess of 50,000, with the BBQ revenue alone expected to net Kings approximately $1.4 million.

In expectation of this titanic encounter, I caught up with Balmain star Ryan Cross in a 100% genuine (cough) interview for the Kings website that will surely be making front page news once some of the comments seep out into the media...

http://www.kobweb.org.au/2012/05/2973/

I think Ryan took things a little too far, Kings aren't THAT good. The game still promisies to be a cracker!

Went to the game in the weekend (such a mission to find)
and balmain 1's and 2's dominated?? i thought it was going to be more of a competition.. as you were talking uo KOB?
But was good to see some really classy tries in the weekend!! Crossy doesnt do as much as i thought but Balmain have sharp backs and good forward!!
Balmain v Oatley now that will be a good game.
Anaru Matthews balmain 13 had a brilliant game!! As did the Number 6 Lomu or something and also the 1st 5/8 Ben Ward.

Congrats Balmain good win. I have to say i did enjoy watching that lil nugget flanker runnung hard all day for KOB!!!

Camo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Loma Kaveinga, started the trials in 3rd grade and has worked his way up to ones, a suprise packet to say the least..

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah he was brilliant. It was the backrow that ultimately won it for Balmain, took so many ruck pilfers that we just couldn't string three phases together.

We weren't too unhappy with the day overall. We weren't expecting to win 1sts, and while we would have liked the scoreline to be a bit closer there were some good signs. Balmain are obviously the benchmark and I'd suggest the bookies would have them at short odds to take the shield. We have already played Oatley and while they are a good side if Balmain show up they should still win comfortably.

But more than 1st grade Balmain were just so well drilled in all grades. Their set-piece was consistently good, and the skill level sky high. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see them in 5 grand finals.

As for us, we may well finish mid-table in all grades. 1sts are a good team but obviously not on the same level as Balmain yet. 3s and 4s are both good sides and if we can keep the same 15 blokes on the paddock we might do well, but as numbers start to dwindle mid-season the results there start to suffer.

We have UNSW next week which should be a slightly better barometer of where we are at as a club.

PS. Interesting that Ryan Cross was virtually anonymous in 1s. I was torn because a part of me wanted to see him show a bit of his class and make a few breaks, but frankly he didn't fire a shot. Our 1st grade 12 contained him pretty easily, and he played Joeys 4ths and has played 3 seasons of AFL since leaving school.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Went to the game in the weekend (such a mission to find)
and balmain 1's and 2's dominated?? i thought it was going to be more of a competition.. as you were talking uo KOB?
But was good to see some really classy tries in the weekend!! Crossy doesnt do as much as i thought but Balmain have sharp backs and good forward!!
Balmain v Oatley now that will be a good game.
Anaru Matthews balmain 13 had a brilliant game!! As did the Number 6 Lomu or something and also the 1st 5/8 Ben Ward.

Congrats Balmain good win. I have to say i did enjoy watching that lil nugget flanker runnung hard all day for KOB!!!

I'd suggest when I was 'talking up' KOBs I had my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.

Our little flanker is our club captain, Moley. Is about 5 foot but so hard to tackle, and can bench almost double his body weight. Played NSW as a hooker last season.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
hey guys, been a observer of this site for quite a while but thought id make a profile when i saw my team (oatley) getting talked about. Cant wait till the balmain game!!, hopefully we can get stuck into them and cause some damage ;)

M

Marley

I'd suggest when I was 'talking up' KOBs I had my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.

Our little flanker is our club captain, Moley. Is about 5 foot but so hard to tackle, and can bench almost double his body weight. Played NSW as a hooker last season.
Yeah Balmains backrow is very sharp and big also suprisingly adgile..

Moley is a force to be wreckened with.. geeze he is gutsy! great to see someone go hard at a good team.
You guys also ahd a very vocal sideline which was great to see.. abit of banter going towards Crossy aswell i believe, but all in the good of the game.

I agree on Crossy being annonymous but i suppose there is an expectation for him to score 5 tries a game but he is only human lol from what i saw not a bad bloke either.

Also liked the Openside Flanker for 1st KOB, good hard runner.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
You guys also ahd a very vocal sideline which was great to see.. abit of banter going towards Crossy aswell i believe, but all in the good of the game.

I agree on Crossy being annonymous but i suppose there is an expectation for him to score 5 tries a game but he is only human lol from what i saw not a bad bloke either.

Exactly. I thought Crossy took it all very well, and it was a shame he couldn't stay for a beer at the end as I would have loved a chat.

I think as a high-profile player if you decide to come and play park footy you have to expect a bit of treatment from the sidelines. I'm sure he gets it every week, and again he took it very well.

I don't think anything was too innapropriate from our guys, I think once the result was beyond doubt we focussed our attention on witty one-liners rather than the actual rugby. Certainly the term 'witty' is all in the eye of the beholder, but I like to think there were a couple of good lines thrown around.

The Balmain guys offered some good chat too. I love that about Subbies- as long as you can take it as well as you dish it out, and then have a beer after and a laugh it's all good.

M

Marley

Exactly. I thought Crossy took it all very well, and it was a shame he couldn't stay for a beer at the end as I would have loved a chat.

I think as a high-profile player if you decide to come and play park footy you have to expect a bit of treatment from the sidelines. I'm sure he gets it every week, and again he took it very well.

I don't think anything was too innapropriate from our guys, I think once the result was beyond doubt we focussed our attention on witty one-liners rather than the actual rugby. Certainly the term 'witty' is all in the eye of the beholder, but I like to think there were a couple of good lines thrown around.

The Balmain guys offered some good chat too. I love that about Subbies- as long as you can take it as well as you dish it out, and then have a beer after and a laugh it's all good.

Agree 100% but i suppose he use to abit more banter that includes press and so on.. But nothing beats a good old " Back to roots" cheek and yeah was not inappropriate at all but entertaining.
Think everyone would like it if he stays arounf for a beer as thats what subbies is all about, footy, beer, cheek, enemies before anf friends after.

M

Marley

can anyone speak about Oatley? preformance wise and strengths ect? also UNSW?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We played Oatley a few weeks ago. Was supposed to be a home game but due to the rain we had to shift it way down south to a ground the blokes at Oatley found. We were a bit undermanned.

However they won 43-32 and we were never really in it. Scored a few late tries to make the score more respectable.

The thing was Oatley have a large islander base and play a very fast and loose style. Some days it works, some days it doesn't. Against us everything was coming off for them- miracle passes were sticking, crazy offloads were working, the ball bounced their way. That isn't to diminish what was a very complete performance from them. They were strong all over the park. Particularly their number 8, who had a belter.

Balmain vs Oatley should be a great game, but I would tip Balmain, especially at home.

As for UNSW, I will tell you after Saturday...

Also was very interested to see no Balmain guys in the NSW Subbies squad. Any reason for that Camo?

Camo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yeah, a bit surprised myself!? To my knowlege our coach nominated, but none were selected to trial.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
can anyone speak about Oatley? preformance wise and strengths ect? also UNSW?

yea oatley teams in both juniors and seniors are known for having a large contigent of islanders so we do usually play what we like to call "reggae rugby" lots of steps, offloads, fancy moves, big hits, and i guess thats both our weakness and strength as said above. Most of the time we'll pull it off and even if we dont win we'll have a bloody good time chucking the ball around but sometimes it goes tits up and fails miserably. I think why we are going better this year than other years is that we've finally got some good coaches in all grades and that are player numbers are alot stronger than last year....besides that dont want to give too much away :p

Status
Not open for further replies.