• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
That would be correct. Only a handful of players will qualify based on the crteria.

nah - wont happen - Kellaway should be picked - to do otherwise would render the team a bit of a joke as an on merit selection (unless of course the selectors thought he wasn't up to it) and would define “cutting off your nose to spite your face”.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
nah - wont happen - Kellaway should be picked - to do otherwise would render the team a bit of a joke as an on merit selection (unless of course the selectors thought he wasn't up to it) and would define “cutting off your nose to spite your face”.
What about Rory Davis and Nick Pennisi? I could see the selectors making an exception for someone like Kell, but would they do the same for a group of boys?

D

Dingdong

What about Rory Davis and Nick Pennisi? I could see the selectors making an exception for someone like Kell, but would they do the same for a group of boys?

I hope not. All the boys who chose to play only with schools IMO should not be eligable to play for NSW this year. However, the players who were eligable and were willing to play with either city or country should of cource be considered. In saying that though, if NSW Juniors want to have the strongest team represent them in the under 16's age group from here on in, I think they'd be better off selecting the team at the Nationals from all players registered to a junior club.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
if NSW Juniors want to have the strongest team represent them in the under 16's age group from here on in, I think they'd be better off selecting the team at the Nationals from all players registered to a junior club.
If NSW wanted the srtongest team representing them wouldn't the best thing to do be pick players according to their ability? and not who they play for.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The NSW Under 16 side is a side governed by the NSW Junior Rugby Union. To participate in the NSWJRU pathway you must be registered and playing with a club that is affiliated with either Sydney Junior Rugby Union or NSW Country Junior Rugby Union.Schools offer alternate pathways for aspiring rugby players. Their pathway is not covered by the NSW JRU pathway.

So for any player that has been selected in the NSW Schools side to play at the National Championships to be eligible for selection in the nSW Under 16 side you must satisfy the above criteria. If you are not registered and playing with a club in Sydney or in the Country you will not be selected in the NSW side no matter how good you are.

The NSW sides are announced after the annual City v Country game which is held on 7 August. Selection into state squads is strictly limited to the participants representing either Sydney Junior Rugby Union or NSW Country Junior Rugby Union in their annual clash and is based on their performance on
the day.

The above information can be found at the NSW Juniors website under Resources and the NSW Juniors pathway2011 document page 3

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The 2 squads for the annual City v Country clash are set out below. These are the players from which the Under 16 NSW side will be selected

Sydney juniors,.......................................Country Juniors
Malaki Afele - Merrylands______________Conor Young Far North Coast
Erickson Aukofolau - Liverpool City______ Cody Fenwick Hunter
Geoffrey Coffill - Wests________________Tim Lewis Illawarra
Benjamin Cotton - Dural_______________Iszak Lunney Illawarra
Jamieson Clark - Merrylands___________Jackson McLean Hunter
Matthew Crafts - Coogee______________ Sam Hefren Hunter
Fred Fiala-Motu - Coogee_____________ Stuart Mill Illawarra
Connor Finn - Canterbury______________ Damien Fleming Central Coast
Harry Jones - Newport________________ Luke Papworth Hunter
Christian Kagiassis - Canterbury_________ Angus MacDougall Far North Coast
Nicholas Koutsoukis - Coogee___________ George Chapman Far North Coast
Vaka Maile - Canterbury_______________ Brenton Acreman Central Coast
Matthew Matson - Hills________________ Nicholas Andrews Hunter
Jack McCalman - Beecroft-Cherrybrook___ Jordan Holz Hunter
David Morris - Norths Pirates___________ Corey Tulloch Illawarra
Cameron Orr - Wests_________________ Samuel Carter Hunter
Brandon Paenga-Amosa - Southern Barbarians__ Harrison Brown Far North Coast
Jack Redden - Hunters Hill_____________ Jack Lapa Central Coast
Jacob Roberts - Merrylands____________ Cameron McNamara Central Coast
Junior Satiu - Merrylands______________ Harry Boyce Illawarra
Mitchell Short - Hunters Hill____________ Shaun Laurie Far North Coast
Brent Whicker - Hawkesbury Valley_____ Nicholas O’Connell New England
Harrison Williams - Norths Pirates______ Jarad Newey Illawarra

uninorths

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can someone tell me how the Number 12 for ACT Leu Saipani did at NSW Regionals? Any standouts for the ACT.. Would be appreciated !

D

Dingdong

If NSW wanted the srtongest team representing them wouldn't the best thing to do be pick players according to their ability? and not who they play for.

To represent NSWJRU you must be registered at a NSW junior club.

D

Dingdong

The 2 squads for the annual City v Country clash are set out below. These are the players from which the Under 16 NSW side will be selected

Sydney juniors,.......................................Country Juniors
Malaki Afele - Merrylands______________Conor Young Far North Coast
Erickson Aukofolau - Liverpool City______ Cody Fenwick Hunter
Geoffrey Coffill - Wests________________Tim Lewis Illawarra
Benjamin Cotton - Dural_______________Iszak Lunney Illawarra
Jamieson Clark - Merrylands___________Jackson McLean Hunter
Matthew Crafts - Coogee______________ Sam Hefren Hunter
Fred Fiala-Motu - Coogee_____________ Stuart Mill Illawarra
Connor Finn - Canterbury______________ Damien Fleming Central Coast
Harry Jones - Newport________________ Luke Papworth Hunter
Christian Kagiassis - Canterbury_________ Angus MacDougall Far North Coast
Nicholas Koutsoukis - Coogee___________ George Chapman Far North Coast
Vaka Maile - Canterbury_______________ Brenton Acreman Central Coast
Matthew Matson - Hills________________ Nicholas Andrews Hunter
Jack McCalman - Beecroft-Cherrybrook___ Jordan Holz Hunter
David Morris - Norths Pirates___________ Corey Tulloch Illawarra
Cameron Orr - Wests_________________ Samuel Carter Hunter
Brandon Paenga-Amosa - Southern Barbarians__ Harrison Brown Far North Coast
Jack Redden - Hunters Hill_____________ Jack Lapa Central Coast
Jacob Roberts - Merrylands____________ Cameron McNamara Central Coast
Junior Satiu - Merrylands______________ Harry Boyce Illawarra
Mitchell Short - Hunters Hill____________ Shaun Laurie Far North Coast
Brent Whicker - Hawkesbury Valley_____ Nicholas O’Connell New England
Harrison Williams - Norths Pirates______ Jarad Newey Illawarra

Sorry Iluvmyfotty but both posts contradict each other. The NSW under 16's team will include names not just seen above. It will include boys who play with Schools who satisify the criteria.

A

Ageing Parent

Sorry Iluvmyfotty but both posts contradict each other. The NSW under 16's team will include names not just seen above. It will include boys who play with Schools who satisify the criteria.

DD, would you have any idea as to whether any of the following players might be considered for selection ::
- Matt Sandell
- Peter Maa
- Jarrod Matairavula
- Nick Pennisi
- Rory Davis
- Andrew Kellaway
- Adrian Delores
- Tepai Moeroa

These 8 were in the 2010 NSW U15 team, and appear listed in the 2011 NSW Schools team. If they are registerd with a Club, does that then give them the right to be selected for the NSW U16 team ? Or does the mere fact that they have been seelcted in the Schools team automatically rule them out for NSW selection. It is a somewhat confusing situation, isnt' it ?

Would be interested in your comments / thoughts.........

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
DD

the Pathways guide in the NSW Juniors site specifically states

"The NSW sides are announced after the annual City v Country game which is held on 7 August. Selection into state squads is strictly limited to the participants representing either Sydney Junior Rugby Union or NSW Country Junior Rugby Union in their annual clash and is based on their performance on
the day."

I take from this that if you don't play on the day then you won't be selected. To be eligible to play in the annual City/Country game you must be registered with and playing for a junior club.

D

Dingdong

DD, would you have any idea as to whether any of the following players might be considered for selection ::
- Matt Sandell
- Peter Maa
- Jarrod Matairavula
- Nick Pennisi
- Rory Davis
- Andrew Kellaway
- Adrian Delores
- Tepai Moeroa

These 8 were in the 2010 NSW U15 team, and appear listed in the 2011 NSW Schools team. If they are registerd with a Club, does that then give them the right to be selected for the NSW U16 team ? Or does the mere fact that they have been seelcted in the Schools team automatically rule them out for NSW selection. It is a somewhat confusing situation, isnt' it ?

Would be interested in your comments / thoughts.........

Ageing parent, it sure is a confusing situation. The ARU must take some responsabilty for the confusion as it was them who unofficially announced that there would be changes to their under 16's National competition and it was on this advise that some of the players made decisions. Those changes included doing away with the 3 NSW teams (country,Juniors and Schools) and instead taking 2, possibly 3, NSW Teams. Their plan was to invite well over 100 players from all over NSW, have trials and themselves pick the teams. Similar to what they do in QLD.

Now, the fact that NSW Juniors announced that they would be selecting an Under 16's team AFTER they'd sorted out the format debarkle was what prompted my very reliable source to tell me “this is the first NSW U16’s team for 10 years and there’s no way we’ll leave players out who deserve to be there just because they were selected in the NSW Schools team” Traditionally this team is picked from the City V Country game. Unfortunately my source wasn’t able to shed any light on how they’ll pick it this year.

Happy to be corrected here, from your list, I'ld say only Peter Maa, Adrian Delore, Jarrod Matairavula and Tepai would meet this year's criteria. There may be others in the schools team that also satisfy the requirements, I'm not sure. Other selection criteria information quoted on this site or on the NSW Juniors site relates to the 15's and 17's NSW Juniors team. I'm not sure of the merit of NSW Juniors selecting an under 16's team to play QLD so close after the Nationals anyway. If this does go ahead, I would suggest they select the team at the Nationals where all the available talent is on show for a whole week. That way every club registerd player in the 3 NSW teams is given the oppertunity they deserve.

C

Casnovian

TRIAL GAMES

SJRU U15 vs Kwansei Gakuin (Trial)
Kick Off 10am

SJRU U16 vs Kwansei Gakuin (Trial)
Kick Off 1130am

Both games to be held at Trinity Grammar School, Senior School Campus, Oval #3. 119 Prospect Rd Summer Hill

I understand this Sunday 24th of July - although SJRU website has not stated actual day.

D

Dingdong

TRIAL GAMES

Kick Off 10am

Kick Off 1130am

Both games to be held at Trinity Grammar School, Senior School Campus, Oval #3. 119 Prospect Rd Summer Hill

I understand this Sunday 24th of July - although SJRU website has not stated actual day.

Isn't Kwansei Gakuin a Japanese University team ?

Bill McLean (32)
A University and more!!

Isn't Kwansei Gakuin a Japanese University team ?

It is a university, however attached to the University is a prep school, middle school and high school. As it stands a number of universities in Japan have the same structure ... strange ... go figure eh?

What concerns me though is this school team finished in 14th place out of the 12 Japanese schools and 4 international schools that were invited to the 2010 Sanix World School Championship held in Japan. This maybe somewhat indicative of their strength!

Regards,
Newbie.

Bill McLean (32)
TRIAL GAMES

Kick Off 10am

Kick Off 1130am

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the SJRU under 16 competiton play on Sundays? Given that finals are just around the corner some teams are certainly going to be missing their stars!

If I am correct would the SJRU not have organised for the games to be played on a Saturday rather than Sunday? I would envisage a few coaches being a little bit irate over such a decision!

Regards,

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the SJRU under 16 competiton play on Sundays? Given that finals are just around the corner some teams are certainly going to be missing their stars!

If I am correct would the SJRU not have organised for the games to be played on a Saturday rather than Sunday? I would envisage a few coaches being a little bit irate over such a decision!

Regards,

No referees appointed for this weekend by NSWRRA for these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.