• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NTS players in the Australian and Australian A schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Stig

Sometimes folks are posting at more or less the same time. He probably started to type out his post before he saw yours which was posted 5 minutes before his.

I take ages to type out a couple of sentences because I'm a slow thinker and not the greatest typist. Maybe he is in the same boat.

O

Overseer

Stig
Sometimes folks are posting at more or less the same time. He probably started to type out his post before he saw yours which was posted 5 minutes before his.
I take ages to type out a couple of sentences because I'm a slow thinker and not the greatest typist. Maybe he is in the same boat.

Thank you for that. And looking at the posting time you may be quite correct.

T

TheTruth

think the player identifying role is great however as always very politicla - kids very very rarely get withdrawn from squad even though deserve it from time to time - have heard that mothers and fathers constantly call the NTS guy from QLD who is probably "pushed" into a corner. They don't drop kids because they think reflects badly on them - real shame that because it only undervalues their credibility and the program itself.
Its an easy thing to identify a kid say from 15 but not many go on withy it. Selection should not only be on rugby ability, skills etc but also the wider things that make a boy a man

Would love to know how much the cash strapped ARU throws at the NTS program including salaries, travel etc etc. Is it worth it or would the result be the same

juniors spectator

Stan Wickham (3)
think the player identifying role is great however as always very politicla - kids very very rarely get withdrawn from squad even though deserve it from time to time - have heard that mothers and fathers constantly call the NTS guy from QLD who is probably "pushed" into a corner. They don't drop kids because they think reflects badly on them - real shame that because it only undervalues their credibility and the program itself.
Its an easy thing to identify a kid say from 15 but not many go on withy it. Selection should not only be on rugby ability, skills etc but also the wider things that make a boy a man

"Would love to know how much the cash strapped ARU throws at the NTS program including salaries, travel etc etc. Is it worth it or would the result be the same
"

Believe the budget at ARU for High Performance Unit which includes NTS is....11 million!!!!!!

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
"

Believe the budget at ARU for High Performance Unit which includes NTS is....11 million!!!!!!

The 11m would include the funding of the Super 15 academy programs, the sevens program for men and women, womens 15's, u/20 program, HPU referees and NTS.

What is the pathway then from NTS? As many of the boys are finishing school and therefore dropping off the NTS; is their next step to get a super 15 academy spot?

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
What is the pathway then from NTS? As many of the boys are finishing school and therefore dropping off the NTS; is their next step to get a super 15 academy spot?

As I understand it there are a number of levels of contracted players in the various super 15 acadamies, which work with the clubs to coordinate programs for the selected players. Some but not many NTS boys go straight into the academies eg Myles McCaffrey to the Waratahs end of last year, Hooper to the Brumbies. Most of the other NTS boys play colts like everyone else, although a few go straight into seniors eg Peterson

CHS 72

Bob McCowan (2)
Thank FTS for this info. It adds to the full picture. Anyone else who can shine anymore light onto the issue, please assist.
Thanks all.
1. Gary Neugebaur (Hale)
1. Jed Gillespie (Kings)
2. Hugh Roach (New)- NTS
2. Maile Ngaumo (IGS)
3. Guy Millar (Kings) - NTS
3. Rhys Brodie (SACS)
4/5. Steve Cummins (Hills SHS) - NTS
4/5. Sam Reiser (GT)
4/5/6. Curtis Browning (BSHS - NTS
6. Boyd Killingworth (Kings) - NTS
7. Tom Connor (Kings) - NTS
8. Tom Cusack (Marist College) - NTS
8. Joel Luani (New)
9. Tim Duchesne (Knox)
9. Tim Donlan (View)
10. Dion Taumata (Keebra Park) - NTS
10. Ed Wylie (Kings)
12. Apo Latinupulu (New) - NTS
13. Chris F' Sautia (BSHS) - NTS
11/14. Lindsay Crook (TSS)
11/14. Walter Petaia (BSHS)
15. Lewis Holland (St. Eddies) - NTS
13. Malietoa Hingano (St Aug) - NTS

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
One of my club boys was in the NTS in Queensland over the past two years. Combined with his First XV school commitments he was so flogged with training that this year he's dropped out of rugby all together due to burnout. It was also detrimental to his academic school work. He was training (and playing) seven days a week, sometimes twice a day. Although it may work for some, I think this system can be counter productive, especially while they're still at school, if that's what it's doing to some of the kids?

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Not sure how it works in Qld but Manu and his team in Sydney are very conscious of burnout and monitor the boys to make sure this is not an issue. It is a big ask, particuarly if you have to travel a distance to NTS but it seems to work for most boys. In Sydney the boys in year 12 only have to attend limited training and the NTS staff coordinate their program with the school coaches, which makes it a lot easier. That said it is still a significant commitment when you are doing the HSC. The bigger issue to my mind is being chosen in either of the schools Australian teams and the time that soaks up. Touring Samoa and NZ 2 weeks before the HSC is a big ask and I question the timing, surely they could delay the tour a few weeks until after the HSC.

N

no_name12

After the hsc would be a smart thing to do but don't Aus schoolboys give out atar points? Whilst school rugby is on in N.S.W and doesn't interfere with school training the nts boys go to either their respective school training or N.T.S

Status
Not open for further replies.