• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ok, gotta ask, who watched SOO last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I'll 'fess, decided to give it a go last night. IIRC the last SOO game I watched was maybe four years ago?? Before then over a decade I'd say.

But, series decider, queensland domination blah blah, why the heck not I thought. AND, I decided I would try as hard as I could to watch it 'fresh', ie ignore as best I could any and all thoughts about the worth of the game I had formed over the years, watch it 'as a game of league' in and of itself.

Honestly, I tried REAL hard at that.

It lasted maybe, dunno, three or four minutes? I mean you just cannot ignore the elephant in the room for too long, sooner or later the bleedin obvious simply has to be acknowledged.

What a dull, one dimensional tedious example of a game it was. I could not help but notice (what I call) the pass/tackle ratio. One pass, one tackle. That was it. Then three players laying on him for (what I estimated as an average) of three seconds or so. Nothing too scientific there, 'one thousand, two thousand' etc.

Then one pass, another ten metre run, wash and repeat.

Out of curiosity (let's face it, the game itself provided no interest so I had to make something up) I just kept counting the pass tackle ratio. I'd eat my hat if it were drastically different than 90% of 'one pass, one tackle' (which included one pass then kick)

The HIGHEST number of passes per tackle I counted was seven (IIRC), that happened once in the latter part of the first half.

A few fives, tad more fours with the threes and twos being the majority of the remaining 'ball in play' incidents, with as mentioned probably 90% being one pass.

A very significant part of the game, when you take into account how long it takes for the tackle to be made and then play the ball, is a complete STOP. When it IS in play, 90% of it is one bloke running straight into another (or usually three) other blokes.

That's it.

I truly get the emotional side of it, series decider and all that, but the game itself??

Think it might be another decade

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Couldn't be arsed and judging by your post that was a good decision. The ground rooting thing really annoys me and the scrums are an absolute joke.

As an aside, there's noone as zealous as a convert. My sister who moved up to Brisbane 9 years ago has been posting those silly Queenslander memes on her Facebook page. Should I remind her that she was born in Sydney and grew up in Parkes, Orange and Queanbeyan?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Watched the 2nd half because nothing was on. It baffled me that the highest level of league had such basic tactics, and once either team moved away from said tactics the basic skills just deserted most of the players as they appeared to panic and were unable to put a semi decent backline move together.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Watched the 2nd half because nothing was on. It baffled me that the highest level of league had such basic tactics, and once either team moved away from said tactics the basic skills just deserted most of the players as they appeared to panic and were unable to put a semi decent backline move together.
as an afficianado of the round ball said to me "80% of the game involves the dummy half running or a single pass to a player running".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The only reason to watch Origin before were the fights and even they are pretty piss weak these days. League as a sport seems to have regressed somehow. I used to watch it and union in roughly equal amounts in days gone by but like Terry, I can't sit through more than a few minutes of it these days.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Although I enjoy watching, it does seem pretty heavily reliant on individual player brilliance and the ability of a player to break the line, break tackles etc. The defence always pisses me off because NSW gives guys like Thurston and Cronk so much time to make their move....I keep yelling at the TV for someone to smash 'em!

I love watching guys likes Inglis, Hayne, Marshall, SBW etc when they are on fire though....

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What shits me is the obstruction by midfielders. It's laughable in league.

Everything is designed to allow a winger to slide into the corner untouched. The fans and commentators can then go wild and carry on as if someone just did something awesome like climbing back through their own arsehole only to miraculously reappear on the other side with no visible streaks.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
"Too much kicking in YAWNion" they say. I reply:

Perhaps...
Kicks in play for rugby vary from almost none to lots, depending on possession, territory, and skill the team has in that area.

80 minutes of league = about 80 sets of 6 = about 80 kicks because it is the only way to pin back the opposition and the most common way to score tries.

"Not enough big hits!" they say.

Perhaps...
But there is no collision in loigue like a scrum; no sheer power of coordinated effort to compare to a maul; and no focused ferocity like a competitive ruck.

"Much more skill in our game" they say

Perhaps... From two or three blokes on the field...

No grace of technical execution and skill like a lineout to the back under pressure; barely any first phase try scoring; and simply woeful defensive alignment* to allow the simplest of dummy runner plays to work.

"The rules are too confusing!" They grasp at their final straw, and in reply I say...

"Yeah. You've probably got a point there..."

* Though equally, how bad is the attack if they only scored a handful of tries when down to 13 a side!

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I flicked over as Bald Orange Hodor got tackled by Hi-Vis council workers and it all went to shit. The huffing and puffing and super-duper-hyperbole from the commentary team was chuckleworthy.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
thanks for reminding me

"Not enough big hits!" they say.

Perhaps.
But there is no collision in loigue like a scrum;

I had to chuckle, from memory the ref 'repacked' at least two scrums. I mean, just what is the damned point?

It tries to legitimise what is in actuality a complete farce, what, the guy bent at his hips in the 'front row' so was not completely upright? Go figure.

"Too much kicking in YAWNion" they say. I reply:

Perhaps.
Kicks in play for rugby vary from almost none to lots, depending on possession, territory, and skill the team has in that area.

80 minutes of league = about 80 sets of 6 = about 80 kicks because it is the only way to pin back the opposition and the most common way to score tries.

Spot on, at least in union there (well usually, wobs efforts sometimes notwithstanding) is a reason to kick, eg you cannot be tackled with the ball 'if you are alone'. It is the rules in league that force them to kick.

"Much more skill in our game" they say

Perhaps. From two or three blokes on the field.

No grace of technical execution and skill like a lineout to the back under pressure; barely any first phase try scoring; and simply woeful defensive alignment* to allow the simplest of dummy runner plays to work.

This argument always brings a chuckle. How often do we see (or saw, don't watch too much any more) a penalty because the highly skilled player cannot even manage to play the ball properly? All you gotta do is put in on the ground and roll it back for god's sake.

More skill? How would a ground humper prop go in union, be granny scrums from the start just to try and save his life. There are no skill distinctions between back and forward in league, all down to size only.

Saw SBW pack down as a prop recently. Reckon he'd put his hand up when with the blacks? He's not that stupid.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Man of the Match performance by the fat hairless bloke. Brushed off the Council workers, but tripped over his own feet when he was away.

SOO Five kick. Why bother? Can't tackle. Don't pass. Kickathon. No skills. No contest. One dimensional.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I generally watch SOO. As a game I find League quite sterile and boring but yet I watch SOO and generally enjoy it. I have zero idea how that works. I grew up watching League on telly with my dad and loved it, but if we ever went to watch the footy live he would always take me to Ballymore to watch the Rugby. When I got to high school I started to favour Union over League and this grew to the point where I almost live for Rugby - it's an obsession. League on the other hand, I really struggle to sit through it, talk about it or have anything to do with it. Yet every year I will get excited for and watch the 3 SOO games. Maybe I watch it for the nostalgia, or for the banter with mates?

League is rubbish to watch but I think SOO is something different. It's not League. It's got some League in it, but that is not the product. This is why if you watch SOO just as a game of League and you don't invest in all the other crap then you probably won't get what all the fuss is about.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I flicked over as Bald Orange Hodor got tackled by Hi-Vis council workers and it all went to shit. The huffing and puffing and super-duper-hyperbole from the commentary team was chuckleworthy.

One thing that I have to ask though (and I have less qualms hijacking a League thread than pretty much any other thread on this site) is who/what the hell is a 'hodor'?

I've seen this word used more and more on this site and I am seriously lost. I tried googling it and I think I'm more confused. Apparently it's a character on a TV show? But then I looked further and it appears the word can be used as a noun, verb, adjective and even it's even an emotion in it's own right? WTF? Someone has even used it as every word in a sentence in one definition on urban dictionary.

Am I missing out on something? It sounds hilarious! :p

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
so scoey, as an example of SOO where does this game rate? Is it considered a classic game for it's own sake, or was it a good game because of the situation?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
One thing that I have to ask though (and I have less qualms hijacking a League thread than pretty much any other thread on this site) is who/what the hell is a 'hodor'?

I've seen this word used more and more on this site and I am seriously lost. I tried googling it and I think I'm more confused. Apparently it's a character on a TV show? But then I looked further and it appears the word can be used as a noun, verb, adjective and even it's even an emotion in it's own right? WTF? Someone has even used it as every word in a sentence in one definition on urban dictionary.

Am I missing out on something? It sounds hilarious! :p
Hodor is a large, simple man in Game of Thrones whose only usual utterance is "Hodor", which may sound like a question, or a statement. He is a hero for the Noughties.
It's also a good word to use when drinking.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
so scoey, as an example of SOO where does this game rate? Is it considered a classic game for it's own sake, or was it a good game because of the situation?

I think that largely depends on the individual's emotional investment of the game as a whole. For me, none of the modern games are classics, but a die hard league fan would probably disagree. The decider will be memorable for sure and was a great game in that the better team won and there were no real controversies that had an impact on the outcome. There was plenty of drama, it was close right up until the end and was a reasonably open game. In terms of how it rates as a game of League? Well the above appraisals are probably fairly accurate. It was just another game of League. Tackle tackle tackle tackle tackle kick. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.