• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Openside showdown George Smith v David Pocock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm on the side that has very rarely seen Smith outplay McCaw. The Baabaas match was the first exception, for a while.

I don't really think I saw where people were pushing Pocock to replace Smith, either. It was more of a push for Pocock to be recognised as the second best openside in Australia, with potential to be the best. But, first, Pocock needs to prove himself for a whole season. Like someone pointed out, Pocock started out brilliantly last year then got his ass handed to him by all three of Smith, Waugh and Croft. That being said, I still think he should be selected before Waugh for Australia and given some international experience in the games Smith is rested.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Ash said:
Like someone pointed out, Pocock started out brilliantly last year then got his ass handed to him by all three of Smith, Waugh and Croft.

Absolutely! And until he matches up with those guys, his career is pure speculation. But back to the main theme of this topic: the matchup is going to be an absolute balltearer!

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
the matchup is going to be an absolute balltearer!

"YEAH that's the sprit rip his fucking balls off" No but seriously this will be a great contest I just hope it's not dominated by defence.

H

hi-jinks

naza said:
Cutter said:
If the Wallaby pack is getting dusted, which it has been for much of the last 5-6 years, its impossible for Smith to dominate at the breakdown. That doesnt mean he is being outplayed by McCaw but it does means its much harder for him to have as big an impact. Conversely, in '01 and, to a lesser extent in '02, Smith was the dominant player on the back of a forward pack that competed pretty well with the ABs.

You are 100% accurate. If he were playing for Scotland, nobody would be raving about McCaw. Richie McCaw is the equivalent of Neil Back in the great English packs of 2001-2003. And remember how Josh Kronfeld was made to look like the second coming of Michael Jones behind a tight 5 of Dowd, Fitzpatrick, Brown, Brooke & Jones ? When our pack started to muscle up in the late 90s, David Wilson showed up Kronfeld for the lightweight seagull he was.

Now, where did I put that :fishing icon ?

One of the funniest things you have written. Ever.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
There will come a time when the young bull will do the old bull. The only question is: when is that time?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
When the young bull exceeds the standards set by the old bull or when the old bull drops his standards to those of the young bull. We arent there yet but, you are right Biffo, it is inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.