• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Our Centre Partnership - Moving Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Assuming Quade is gone and we have everyone is healthy, I like:

Genia
Beale
Ioane
Tapuai
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Cummins
JOC (James O'Connor)

White / anyone but Phipps
Barnes
McCabe / Mitchell

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Genia
Lealifano
Ioane
Tapuai
McCabe
JOC (James O'Connor)
Beale

White
Barnes/Horne/Harris
Mitchell/Cummins/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I am still a fan of the McCabe @ 13 option (strong defense, good skills (yes really), quick, straight and direct) and of getting a decent kick return happening again, against a Lions side who will kick a lot that will be damn important.

9 is the issue, we just have lost depth

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
The positive thing about this discussion is with a load of units back and healthy, the bench starts to look like it will actually make a contribution and stop being injury cover - and that is something Aus hasn't had for 18 months
And then Robbie Deans will actually use the bench? Er no.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And then Robbie Deans will actually use the bench? Er no.

This criticism seems a bit outdated to me.

Last year it was absolutely the case but this season he's used the bench far more and far earlier.

In recent tests, the only really inexplicable issue to me was not replacing Phipps against the French.

TPN should have also been replaced after 20 minutes against the English.

Aside from that, pretty much all our bench has been getting on the field and it hasn't just been for the last five minutes.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
go back and review his work at the Brumbies this season and over a few years of club rugby, nothing wrong with his ball skills

Maybe for that level but they are pretty average for S15, and he fails to show them on a consistent basis. Its not that i haven't seen him pass but anyone at pro level should be able to kick it on but his decision making skills would are cringeworthy 7/10

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Also thats the reason he doesnt play 13.....because it is the hardest position to defend at tachnically and decision making wise.

McCabe can tackle if the person is direct runner no doubt and does it well but whether or not he can track a player and shepherd well is another matter

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
For me there is only 2 options moving forward.

12. Taps or JOC (James O'Connor) - who ever is the better defender
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or McCabe

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I'd just like the best 12 and 13 at super level to play those positions for the wobs for a change.

churchills cigar

Peter Burge (5)
As positive as most are with the performance of Tapuai and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) last weekend, does it not concern anyone that in reality we have a band-aid solution to the three quarter problem.
Is anyone serious in their feelings that Australia have compatible three quarters to Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu or even Robbie Fruen. Thank goodness Sir SBW has had a brain fart and buggered off.
Other than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who has undoubtedly lost much of his attacking ability and must be close to pasture, IMO we do not have any players at test or S15 level who come within a bull's roar of the ability exhibited those in the All Blacks, de Villiers, Tuilagi, at least on a consistent long term basis.
For years we have nurtured (probably not too well) demigod fly halves and halfbacks and neglected the development of fast, solid centre three quarters who can actually create an attack, can break a defensive line with consistency, can instill some form of trepidation and concern in the minds of the opposition.
I put it to you all that we don't. I have not seen us field a centre pairing that does create any form of concern in the minds of opposition at test or S15 level since effectively the 2003 RWC.
To me, we are or have been putting faith in players who if they were in NZ would not rate a second glance.
I'm not suggesting any viable replacements as at this instant there are none and Australian rugby attack will continue to struggle and flounder until we do somehow come up with three or four 'big units' who have speed and elusiveness on a par with who is available to our prime opponents.
The current standard of comparison is the All Blacks and I do not for one nano-second believe any three quarter combination we come up with is anywhere on a par. The persistence with McCabe, an undoubtedly courageous player who is a sublime #15 or winger at #12 shows our lack of understanding of what is a good centre three quarter. To have players such as Barnes, whose first thought is to kick at #12 is ludicrous. Neither he, McCabe, A Faiinga, Horne or whoever else we have in these vital positions would be given a second glance in NZ. why is it we do?

Anyone who continues to see our current crop of players as being the way to the future is IMHO delusional with regard to not only the abilities and capabilities of these players but also what is required for the position of centre three quarter.

Until we do, and until we cease this ridiculous pastime of playing players out of position will continue this debate over substandard wannabes who really are just patchwork interims.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm not suggesting any viable replacements as at this instant there are none and Australian rugby attack will continue to struggle and flounder until we do somehow come up with three or four 'big units' who have speed and elusiveness on a par with who is available to our prime opponents.

Tomane and Cummins have the best shot at becoming big, dominant, fast 13s. Now we just need to get them to play in that position.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Mate we are New Zealand so we shouldn't try and emulate them otherwise we will never win.
Tapuai I believe is a solid option at 12 he is everything that Australian rugby stands for in an inside centre and although we may not have cracked the da vinci code yet i think we can all agree through out this dismal year we have all seen glimpses of the pieces of the jigsaw.
I don't think any team we have put out this year is close to our best 15 but I think most people will tell you they liked the look of some combinations across the 15.
Our backs are in a better place than last year we are seeing the emergence of people like Cummins, White and Lealifano to compliment the established backline rock of Digby, Genia, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale.
Tapuai is a good starting block for 12 and has shown he can mix it with SBW and Fruen when he helped the reds win the Grand Final, depending on injuries next year I see a wealth of options play out side him with either JOC (James O'Connor) or Cummins being the most tantalising.
We aren't ever gonna beat the All Blacks by trying monster the midfield just like Socceroos are never going to beat Brazil by playing Samba football but please don't insult our centre stocks because realistically our prospects aren't that bad

and realistically base don positions played this year our centres aren't that patchwork

Status
Not open for further replies.