• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Oz 2020 team

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cricket Australia?s National Selection Panel (NSP) today announced a 13-man squad for Sunday?s KFC Twenty20 clash against New Zealand in Sydney.

The 13-man squad is:

Michael Clarke (c) - NSW , 27
Brad Haddin (vc) - NSW , 31
Nathan Bracken - NSW , 31
Callum Ferguson - SA , 24
Moises Henriques - NSW , 22
Ben Hilfenhaus - TAS , 25
James Hopes - QLD , 30
David Hussey - VIC , 31
Mitchell Johnson - QLD , 27
Peter Siddle - VIC , 24
Adam Voges - WA , 29
David Warner - NSW , 22
Cameron White - VIC , 25

Commenting on the selected squad NSP Chairman Andrew Hilditch said:

?The National Selection Panel has again picked a squad for this KFC Twenty20 against New Zealand with a view to continuing the development of our younger players and in preparation for the ICC World Twenty20 to be played in England during June this year.

?Given the high workload of Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey since the Indian Test series in October we have decided, in consultation with these players, it is appropriate they miss this game.

?With a hectic and competitive South African campaign departing the day after this match, we felt this option was best in the interest of the player?s workload management.

?This also provides a wonderful opportunity for Moises Henriques. The NSP regards Moises as an exciting young player with the all-round ability to play a role in the World Twenty20. We recently included him in the PM?s XI match against New Zealand where he played exceptionally well and we are hoping this opportunity will help him to continue his development.

?David Warner also returns to the Australian squad for this Twenty20 match. While David was disappointed to be dropped from the one-day squad, we regard him as an exciting young player who definitely remains in our thoughts for the World Twenty20.?

In a repeat of the curtain-raiser concept successfully pioneered by Cricket Australia earlier this year in Melbourne, the Commonwealth Bank Southern Stars will play New Zealand before the men?s KFC Twenty20 International between the same nations on Sunday 15 February.

The world?s first men?s and women?s Twenty20 International double-header was contested at the MCG in February last year when the Australian and English women?s teams played before Australia and India?s clash in a KFC Twenty20 International.

It will be the Commonwealth Bank Southern Stars? last official match before they defend their ICC Women?s World Cup crown in Sydney.

That match starts at 3.30pm and tickets can be purchased through Ticketek (www.ticketek.com) or at the gate.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Since when do the selectors need to be called the "National Selection Panel" let alone the NSP. Seriously, they are having a laugh with that arent they?

One thing that is noticeable is that its still an old side (relatively). Cricket isnt a young man's game in Australia.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I hope he does well, he's got a lot of 'potential'.

That said, another bloody terrible selection.. why not pick someone who is in form? Here's what I wrote on this the other day
---
My Portuguese cousin Moises Henriques has been called up for the single Twenty20 match against New Zealand! He?ll make his debut for Australia in Sunday?s match at the SCG.

Curiously the selectors have waited for his form to wane before selecting him, in this years (victorious!) Twenty20 campaign he scored 62 at 12.4 and took 3 wickets at 40.33. His one innings of note was 42 off 25 when he opened against Tasmania.

v QLD - 3(4) and 4 overs 2/26
v WA - 9*(5) and 2 overs 0/14
v SA - 6(6) and 3 overs 0/27
v TAS - 42(25) and 2 overs 1/24
v VIC - 1(4) and DNB
v VIC - 1(9) and 3 overs 1/30

Whatever, he?s made the cut and I fully support the inclusion of more young players from Australia?s best domestic Twenty20 team. An added bonus is his name is so similar to my own that it?s almost as if I?m playing for Australia, just look for the drunk, overweight and unfit guy (no, not Jesse Ryder) on Sunday.

Aussie Squad for Twenty20 on Sunday

James Hopes - QLD , 30
David Hussey - VIC , 31
Mitchell Johnson - WA , 27
Peter Siddle - VIC , 24
Adam Voges - WA , 29
David Warner - NSW , 22
Cameron White - VIC , 25

Hussey and Ponting have been ?rested?, I suspect Rick?s never played a T20 against New Zealand.

They?ve name a 13 man squad, which is a bit rude for the one discarded player who?ll also miss this round of the Sheffield Shield. Hopefully they?ll give him a bucket to collect donations.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Moses said:
I hope he does well, he's got a lot of 'potential'.

That said, another bloody terrible selection.. why not pick someone who is in form? Here's what I wrote on this the other day
---
My Portuguese cousin Moises Henriques has been called up for the single Twenty20 match against New Zealand! He?ll make his debut for Australia in Sunday?s match at the SCG.

Curiously the selectors have waited for his form to wane before selecting him, in this years (victorious!) Twenty20 campaign he scored 62 at 12.4 and took 3 wickets at 40.33. His one innings of note was 42 off 25 when he opened against Tasmania.

v QLD - 3(4) and 4 overs 2/26
v WA - 9*(5) and 2 overs 0/14
v SA - 6(6) and 3 overs 0/27
v TAS - 42(25) and 2 overs 1/24
v VIC - 1(4) and DNB
v VIC - 1(9) and 3 overs 1/30

Whatever, he?s made the cut and I fully support the inclusion of more young players from Australia?s best domestic Twenty20 team. An added bonus is his name is so similar to my own that it?s almost as if I?m playing for Australia, just look for the drunk, overweight and unfit guy (no, not Jesse Ryder) on Sunday.

Aussie Squad for Twenty20 on Sunday

James Hopes - QLD , 30
David Hussey - VIC , 31
Mitchell Johnson - WA , 27
Peter Siddle - VIC , 24
Adam Voges - WA , 29
David Warner - NSW , 22
Cameron White - VIC , 25

Hussey and Ponting have been ?rested?, I suspect Rick?s never played a T20 against New Zealand.

They?ve name a 13 man squad, which is a bit rude for the one discarded player who?ll also miss this round of the Sheffield Shield. Hopefully they?ll give him a bucket to collect donations.

I reckon he played in the first one in NZL and smashed them.

I'll sus it out and report back.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
T20I no. 1 Australia in New Zealand T20I Match New Zealand v Australia 2004/05 season

Played at Eden Park, Auckland, on 17 February 2005 - day/night (20-over match)

Result Australia won by 44 runs

Australia innings (20 overs maximum) R M B 4s 6s Super Rugby
AC Gilchrist c McMillan b Mills 1 7 3 0 0 33.33
MJ Clarke c McMillan b Tuffey 7 4 4 0 1 175.00
A Symonds c wicketkeeperMcCullum b Mills 32 12 13 4 2 246.15
RT Ponting not out 98 62 55 8 5 178.18
DR Martyn b Mills 3 4 5 0 0 60.00
SM Katich b Cairns 30 29 25 2 1 120.00
MEK Hussey not out 31 18 15 1 3 206.66
Extras (lb 9, w 3) 12

Did not bat JR Hopes, B Lee, MS Kasprowicz, GD McGrath

There you go. The first actual international. Although I think its the one in which the kiwis went retro and grew 'fros etc.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Cheers Noddy,
I wrote that yesterday, and one of the comments filled in the blanks..

Moises doesn?t deserve it a call up but good luck to him,

For the record Punter played against NZ 1st ever T20i on Auckland in Feb 2005,

You may remember it was match where all the Kiwi?s played with Moe?s? & in their Retro uniform

Punter cracked 30 from penultimate over (Darrel Tuffey) to race 93 and was on target for Ton but loss strike with 2 balls to go from Australian Debutant Mike Hussey who hit a six instead going for single to get punter back on strike, Punter finished 98NO

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I tend to think that the selection of Henriques is a joke given his substandard returns this year. It seems like the selectors have suddenly decided to gamble on youth as everything else is failing, but picking another kid who isn't ready for international cricket won't help.

F

formeropenside

Scotty said:
I think NSP might actually stand for Newsouthwales Selection Panel.

Hold on, Andrew McDonald is a Victorian, and I dont know how he made the Test side this summer.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scotty said:

You obviously haven't run your eye over said National Selection Panel: there's not a New South Welshman on it. The major reason there are so few Victorians, Croweaters and Sandgropers in the Australian cricket team is the propensity of AFL clubs to grab the cream of young sportsmen in those states. As they're poised to grab Shaun Marsh's younger brother. Queensland cricketers? Not good enough at the moment. Or always injured. When Queensland had its run of Sheffield Shield/Pura Cup wins over the last 15 years a lot of them got into national teams. As they should've.

You might like to read this article: http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cr...1234028205898.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Scotty said:

Queensland cricketers? Not good enough at the moment. Or always injured. When Queensland had its run of Sheffield Shield/Pura Cup wins over the last 15 years a lot of them got into national teams. As they should've.

You might like to read this article: http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cr...1234028205898.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

grrrrrrr

3rd in the 20/20

2nd in the Sheffield Shield

1st in the Ford Ranger

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lindommer said:
Scotty said:

You obviously haven't run your eye over said National Selection Panel: there's not a New South Welshman on it. The major reason there are so few Victorians, Croweaters and Sandgropers in the Australian cricket team is the propensity of AFL clubs to grab the cream of young sportsmen in those states. As they're poised to grab Shaun Marsh's younger brother. Queensland cricketers? Not good enough at the moment. Or always injured. When Queensland had its run of Sheffield Shield/Pura Cup wins over the last 15 years a lot of them got into national teams. As they should've.

Best player across both forms of limited overs games this year was Lee Carseldine. That Victorian fast bowler (whose name temporarily escapes me) also was devastating - he ended up with around an 11 average in the 20/20 form.

I'd say rather confidently that if either played for NSW then they would've been selected in the Aus side - despite Carseldine being 33.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Dirty Dirk Nannes is the bowler Ash.

Don't know how you can claim a bias when it's Boony (TAS), Merv (VIC), Cox (QLD) and Hilditch (South Australia).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Moses said:
Dirty Dirk Nannes is the bowler Ash.

Don't know how you can claim a bias when it's Boony (TAS), Merv (VIC), Cox (QLD) and Hilditch (South Australia).

Cox (TAS)

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Thanks Noddy, I often get him confused with Stuart Law.. seems there's little difference between 18k and 27k runs in my mind..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But it should be a totally independent panel. No two from the same state. I reckon the following lot would be worthwhile:

Jeff Thomson (NSW)
Greg Chappell (SA)
Paul Jackson (VIC)
Dirk Wellham (TAS)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have already read that Lindommer. That is the only reason I made the comment, didn't think of it by myself - I support Warner & Hughes' selections, however think that Henriques is a bit of a joke. He has to prove himself first.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Noddy said:
But it should be a totally independent panel. No two from the same state. I reckon the following lot would be worthwhile:

Jeff Thomson (NSW)
Greg Chappell (SA)
Paul Jackson (VIC)
Dirk Wellham (TAS)
How about the following team structure:
Selector: Ian Chappell
Coach: Tom Moody
Captain: Shane Warne

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Can we drop Ponting now? Ferguson is clearly ready to take a middle-order spot to push someone else up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
White Vice Captain?

Shees.

Uncapped Victorian batsman Rob Quiney has been brought into the Australian squad for tomorrow's Twenty20 match against New Zealand, replacing the injured Michael Clarke.Clarke has a back injury which saw him miss last night's washed-out Chappell-Hadlee decider at the Gabba.The 26-year-old Quiney has been in fine touch for the Bushrangers this season, battering a season-high 91 off only 57 balls in the domestic Twenty20 final, including eight sixes.He also hammered 50 off as many deliveries in Victoria's one-day triumph over New South Wales at the MCG yesterday.Paceman Mitchell Johnson will also miss the SCG encounter because of a niggling ankle injury.He will not be replaced with the squad reduced to 12.Wicketkeeper Brad Haddin will captain Australia in the absence of Clarke, with Ricky Ponting being rested.Cameron White assumes the vice-captaincy.

Status
Not open for further replies.